I'm currently using a Crate GLX-65 combo amp, and although I get nice clean tones, the distortion sounds like hell. I play prog/thrash/death metal and I'm looking for a really heavy, crunchy face melting tone. Any pedal recommendations? I'm on a budget of $150 Canadian, as a starving student

After some googling and youtubing, I've been considering the Electro Harmonix Metal Muff, Boss MT-2, and Ibanez Tube King. Any recommendations on these, or any other distortion pedals?
i would say the boss MT-2.
it may not suit your style but another awesome pedal (that i own) is the Boss DS-2 Turbo distortion.
http://www.youtube.com/user/charliegray12212

check out my youtube channel for guitar covers.

Quote by Radman_Paiza
I saw it with my dudefriend. But I'm totally not gay, because I have a girlfriend. She's imaginary, but atleast I have one.
There's the Boss ML 2 and a MT2 as well. The ML-2 or the metalcore pedal might be what your looking for.
Quote by anorexorcist15
i would say the boss MT-2.
it may not suit your style but another awesome pedal (that i own) is the Boss DS-2 Turbo distortion.

DS-2 kicks ass
In every distortion pedal thread, I always recommend the Digitech Hardwire TL-2. Don't let any of Digitech's reputation fool you, their Hardwire series is serious business.

Built tough, comes with a cool velcro pad and a glow-in-the-dark sticker for the pedal, looks nice, sounds fantastic. It actually gave my Spider II some balls, haha. I'm not sure if they're still going on, but some shops were having a sale on the Hardwire series, going from around $150 to $60 or so.
I'm leaning towards the metal muff I think, mainly for the fact that it gets an insane amount of varieties of distortion, thanks guys!
Last edited by bluntzilla2010 at Jul 11, 2010,
Quote by bluntzilla2010
I'm leaning towards the metal muff I think, mainly for the fact that it gets an insane amount of varieties of distortion, thanks guys!

I was gonna suggest the Metal Muff.

The MT-2 sounds like a can of bees, the Metalcore one sounds a bit better.

The Ibanez Tubeking I think was a failed product, but I never tried it before or heard it.

Lastly, don't over look Digitech.
Squier Strat
Behringer Fuzz
GFT-90
Quote by NosralTserrof
Digitech Hardwire Metal Distortion, or Blackstar HT-Distx.

I thought the Blackstar HT-Distx colors the tone too much?

Assuming the Crate amp is a solid state amp then the Blackstar HT-Distx might not be a bad idea though, but it's expensive; not sure what used prices look like.
Squier Strat
Behringer Fuzz
GFT-90