Gah, nothing cures a hangover like going to GC in the middle of the day and just wanking out as loud as possible.

I played 3 amps and bought a bunch of stuff.

I was very impressed with the 3 I played...pretty much to do the point that if I had the money or the need I would have bought all three on the spot.

Here goes in no particular order.

1. Mesa Transatlantic - http://www.mesaboogie.com/Product_Info/Transatlantic/transatlantic-TA-15.html

This thing is so cutes! Some of the Namm and product release images made this thing look massive. But, it's not! They had it next to a night train on top of a mesa 212 and both of the amps easily fit with room left over on both sides. It's really tiny. It's got a smaller footprint then the Night Train and it looks a lot classier too. It glows!

So anyhow, 2 channels. It's actually kind of confusing how they set it up since it's not really british and american but rather just a whole bunch of different options all over the place. I noticed a definite difference between the 5/15/25 modes...although I'm still confused as to how they get 25 watts out of this thing. Regardless you get class a and class a/b operation in the same amp. yay.

So the left channel does the standard brit voicing plus a switch for top boost - a vox inspired feature. Then you have the standard eq.

The left channel is tweed in the lo-gain mode but the 2 hi-gain modes are both brit voiced, marshall hi-gain. mesa voiced hi gain.

It sounded very very good. It's a true 2 channel amp with different voicings on each channel and independent master volumes. It weighs 12 pounds. I was impressed. The cleans were squeeky, the gain was crunchy. It really reminded me of a tiny electra dyne.

However, it doesn't have enough gain for modern metal or any metal really. It does everything up to heavier classic rock. The jet city 20 has more gain then this amp, as does the orange TT but neither of them sound as good.

This thing and a light 112 would be the perfect mic'd up gigging amp.

2. Egnater Tweaker

I had already reviewed and raved about this amp waaaaay before Greg bought one. I still like it. Last time I tried it was with just a epi les paul standard they had next to it at the store. This time I brought my prs down there. Whole world of difference. I actually like this amp more now. It might actually have a little bit more gain voicing then the Mesa. Every option is usable and none of them are gimmicky. Does everything from sparkly cleans to fat heavy chuggachugga. Fantastic amp for 400 hundred. I'm surprised more people haven't bought them.

3. Egnater Rebel 20.

Man Bruce can have my babies. This is the first time I actually plugged into this amp. Wow. I lubbed it. It sounds about the same as the tweaker in terms of voicing buuuut....

The 6v6/el84 blend was actually really usable and nice. A very big voicing difference between the two unlike the blackstar's isf which does ****all.

But, I really really really liked the 1w-20w watt variac. I actually really really want one of these. With the gain dimed, blend switched all the way over to el84, wattage set to less then 1...this is the perfect metal practice amp. It's so quite and so gainy. It sounds way fuller then my slo or deliverance at bedroom hi-gain level. I wants.

I think I'm going to be a used T/A and rebel 20 at some point to keep downstairs as watch tv and jam rigs.

900, 400, 500 for the amps. The tweaker is the best value I think but 900 for a true 2 channel small format amp that sounds good isn't bad either.

Out of the few all tube budget amps right now I'd say the jca20 and the tweaker blow away just about everything else I've tried in that price range.

The T/A is just like buying 2 and shoving them together into one box.

oh ya I bought some stuff too.

Dunlop power brick for 60 bucks
wall hanger for 20 bucks
2 garbage pedals for 20 bucks. Made in the 80s. Solid metal enclosures. Perfect for projects
crazy delicious day.

http://www.hulu.com/watch/1397/saturday-night-live-snl-digital-short-lazy-sunday
Prs se Holcomb is the answer
Last edited by AcousticMirror at Jul 11, 2010,
I ALMOST bought a DOD Grunge a few days ago for $20
--

How do you say "I'm okay" to an answering machine?

--
Quote by AcousticMirror
Gah, nothing cures a hangover like going to GC in the middle of the day and just wanking out as loud as possible.

ORLY?
Gear:
Epiphone Archtop Dot
Ibanez RG120
Peavey ValveKing 112
Dunlop Crybaby
Boss Distortion Ds-1
MXR Carbon Copy
Rocktron Banshee Talk box
Man, this thread makes me wanna cry with envy. Sweet stuff!!! You rich bastard .
I am a Stephenist

Quote by 5150rando
Man, this thread makes me wanna cry with envy. Sweet stuff!!! You rich bastard .

wut . I only spent like 110 dollars today.

Guitar center is one of the only places where touching won't cost you.
Last edited by AcousticMirror at Jul 11, 2010,
^ Probably because he didn't care about isolated outputs.
Everyone is entitled to an opinion.

Feel free to express yours so I can make an informed judgement about how stupid you are.
Is it no good? I've got 30 days. I mean I got it just cuz it was cheap and I need more power and less mess.

looking at this is making me go cray cray

Well, it doesn't have isolated power outs (which one specific new UGer will slay you for ) so is essentially a daisy chain in a box.
I dunno about US prices and cba to check right now, but I'd have thought a One Spot would've been cheaper.

Pedal Mess is messy. Invest in some moar cabling and sort that shit out d00d.
Last edited by ze monsta at Jul 11, 2010,
Jesus H...

I have a Tweaker on the way once it's off backorder. Thanks for validating my purchase
Blackstar ID:15TVP
2001 MIA Strat (SD '59/Stock/CustomCustom)
Early 80s Fernandes The Revival '57
Quote by ze monsta
Well, it doesn't have isolated power outs (which one specific new UGer will slay you for ) so is essentially a daisy chain in a box.
I dunno about US prices and cba to check right now, but I'd have thought a One Spot would've been cheaper.

Pedal Mess is messy. Invest in some moar cabling and sort that shit out d00d.

I'm running two daisy chained one spots and the sound quality is fine. I haven't tried anything with isolated outs but I've got like some single power suppllies I use for some pedals and I don't really hear much of a difference.

The brick is pretty cheap on sale and like I can glue it to the bottom of my board and ever worry about it again. With the one spots I actually got to plan since they are all daisy chained. A one spot is like 25 new. this thing is a little sturdier and has 3 18v outs as well so I'm cool with that. messes make me go all cray cray.
Nice Avatar cab. I have the same color tolex and cloth. You probably have better speakers though
Squier Strat
Behringer Fuzz
GFT-90
Quote by Guitarbaddie
Nice Avatar cab. I have the same color tolex and cloth. You probably have better speakers though

for some reason last month people were selling pairs and quads of scumbacks for like 110 a piece. I bought them all.
Hercules wall hangers FTW!

2012 Gibson Les Paul Custom Classic
2001 Schecter C-1 Classic
2007 Yamaha APX500
Vox AC15CC1 w/ Eminence Tonkerlite
Assorted Pedals!

All for sale!

Call me Matt!
it's a nice amp...the pitbull is definitely better for your purposes. speaking of pitbulls....can't wait till friday.

The rebel was the one that really caught my ear. less then one watt was a fantastic setting.
is the supa distortion any good? theres one at the pawn shop near here and they don't have anything to try it on
And if I don't see ya, in a long, long while

I'll try to find you

Left of the dial
Quote by lostjesse
is the supa distortion any good? theres one at the pawn shop near here and they don't have anything to try it on

the wht what?
Quote by lostjesse

He got it as trade fodder I'm sure. He probably hasn't even played it.
E-peen:
Rhodes Gemini
Fryette Ultra Lead
Peavey 6505
THD Flexi 50

Gibson R0 Prototype
EBMM JP13 Rosewood
Fender CS Mary Kaye

WTLT

(512) Audio Engineering - Custom Pedal Builds, Mods and Repairs
Quote by AcousticMirror
the wht what?

that made me lol let me know if it's any good
And if I don't see ya, in a long, long while

I'll try to find you

Left of the dial
Quote by AcousticMirror
ya that i'll plug it in but right now i'm reading comics on the internet.

Fan fiction?
E-peen:
Rhodes Gemini
Fryette Ultra Lead
Peavey 6505
THD Flexi 50

Gibson R0 Prototype
EBMM JP13 Rosewood
Fender CS Mary Kaye

WTLT

(512) Audio Engineering - Custom Pedal Builds, Mods and Repairs
Quote by sixstringedmatt
Jesus H...

I have a Tweaker on the way once it's off backorder. Thanks for validating my purchase

glad i am not the only one. i have been waiting three months.

mine is supposed to ship in late july though, although i am not sure i trust m123 any more...
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
I havent waiting that long but I feel your pain! It's been about a month.
Blackstar ID:15TVP
2001 MIA Strat (SD '59/Stock/CustomCustom)
Early 80s Fernandes The Revival '57
Min, You cannot run boutique pedals off of a non-isolated power supply. It causes ground loops and hum. I frequently converse with Mike Fuller of Fulltone, and he has himself told me this on a number of occasions. Just send him an email and ask.

----------------------------

Yay for GC days! Soon as I head back to the states, I am doing exactly this.
I just did.

Dear Mike,
Your pedal seems to be really good for people that are doing it wrong. I feel like you are trying to approximate the sound of tube overdrive when really people just need to buy a smaller wattage amp. That being said I think your pedal sounds good. How do I make it sound bad?

PS. I'm running 10 of your pedals stacked into my slo.

Thanks a bunch of grapez!

Min

Oh yeah. I also sent an email to dba.

Dear DBA,
Sup guys!

Min

Min,
This is an automated response from DBA. We really high. Please try again later.
DBA
Last edited by AcousticMirror at Jul 12, 2010,
wow, the transatlantic's only 900 bucks? guess how much it is here.

i definitely like the sound of the tweaker.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
i can't see the transatlantic being worth twice what the tweaker costs.

put some good tubes in it and it's the shiz.
well the trans is 2 channels plus made in the us. they both sound equal though. but the 2 channels is a big dif
yea that is nice, agreed. actually $900 is almost three times what i paid for a tweaker.

i will try it though when i run across one.
Quote by gregs1020
yea that is nice, agreed. actually $900 is almost three times what i paid for a tweaker.

i will try it though when i run across one.

ya but you'd be able to roll an employee discount or whatever voodoo magic you got on the t/a as well. You should try it if you get the chance. I don't think it sounds better then the tweaker. I actually thought the tweaker had more gain. The T/A is a really nice portable gigging amp though. assuming gigging requires 2 channels are something.
Greg would just wave his hands and some destitute guy in a shady alley would sell him his recently purchased Transatlantic for $50 and a bag of oregano.
Everyone is entitled to an opinion.

Feel free to express yours so I can make an informed judgement about how stupid you are.
It's true. I'm waiting to see it happen. I dunno they just came out. 300 for a 400 amp is already 25 percent off. I'm going to speculate that the used price for a t/a in about 8 months time will be right around 550-600. Which means I'll probably by one for 300. clappityclap.