I've only previously used a rubbish 10 watt modeling amp with a behringer TO100 before so I don't know much about all the settings. Now I've got a TS9 and a fender blues junior to acompany my Epi Es335 dot and new to the functions of it I'm struggling getting my tone. I want a very trebbly classic rock tone, much like this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J7Sadcswnv4&feature=related
First guitar about 18 seconds in.

Any help? I can't really have the power volume maxed so no "TURN THAT BITCH UP" posts please. I gotta keep it bedroom volume wise, but still it must be possible to get this tone.

I use these settings my self:

amp:

reverb 0
master volume 2
pre amp volume 5
middle 6
bass 3 and half
treble 10 and a half
fat switch on (adds crunch)

TS9:

drive 3 o'clock
tone 12 o'clock
level 10 o'clock

guitar:

bridge pickup
tone pot 8
volume pot 10

When I was mixing round stuff I thought this sounded good but when I came back to it later on and starting jamming I realised how too heavy (not talking metal) it sounds and really washed out over distorted. I've been tweaking it alot and can't find anything sweet. It's pretty overwheming knowing how to blend the pedal, guitar and amp altogether too as I'm not to knowledged in all the functions. Like each one has a volume and tone so what do I do between them all? etc... I'm always seeing him and others too in the middle of songs randomly switch pickup selectors and shifting pots round although I never hear much suttle difference, what is this technique? I know it's obvious they're changing volume or something but what is the technique they're going for? I heard someone say, although I couldn't tell if he was serious "it's a veteran trick" heh....

This is mainly for rythem too, I can get sweet lead tone piece a cake.

Any help please for getting a tone like that in the video?? I'll get some recordings of my tone to if wanted.
Last edited by ThinkAboutIt at Jul 11, 2010,
This is how I used to get classic and standard rock tones back when I used Fender amps with an overdrive pedal (a Digitech Screamin' Blues in my case, although functionally your Tube Screamer is the same):

Preamp volume/gain: 40%
Bass: 50%, although I would turn this up for larger rooms and turn it down for smaller rooms.
Mids: 100%
Treble: 60-70% depending on the volume I was playing at (treble frequencies bleed off quicker than the middle and bass frequencies so if you're playing at a very low volume then you'll need to turn the treble up that little bit more to hear the high detail).
Presence (where applicable): 100%
Reverb: 15-25% depending on how deep the amp's reverb was.
Boost switches: off

Then for my pedal I stuck the gain control at about 1.5/10 so it was barely adding any clipping of its own, had the level control at around 6.5/10 so it was giving a fair boost to the pickups but nothing hugely drastic (you'll have to experiment to find where this point is for the TS) and I used the EQ controls to boost the low frequencies by about 50% and reduce the treble by a tiny fraction - for your Tube Screamer this would translate as turning the tone knob back a little before the halfway mark.

I always left my guitar's controls at full other than the neck tone which would get quite a workout. At low volume levels, your guitar's volume controls aren't going to do much so you might as well leave them at full to get the best response from your guitar.

Classic rock tones basically come from a slightly boosted guitar and a lot of mids. I think your main problem is compensating for playing at low volume, where bass tends to dominate and treble gets lost.
Yes, I know everything. No, I can't play worth a damn.
A child is trafficked and sold for sex slavery every 30 seconds. Support Love146.