Hey.
I've been playing for about 1 year and my rhythm playing is pretty good, however I can't play lead very well. I can improvise kinda well over a blues backing track but I only use pentatonics and it ends up sounding very samey. What I need to know is what songs or techniques etc should I learn to help this.

Thanks
Quote by tomble
Hey.
I've been playing for about 1 year and my rhythm playing is pretty good, however I can't play lead very well. I can improvise kinda well over a blues backing track but I only use pentatonics and it ends up sounding very samey. What I need to know is what songs or techniques etc should I learn to help this.

Thanks

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UBla_X3Tvdc

This video helped me so much when I was learning how to solo. It's very helpful and has some neat tricks and tips in it from the master of improvision himself, Marty Friedman.
I'm pretty much in the same boat as you(only I've been playing for a year and a half, and I can solo but it always ends up sounding like a tapfest, crap or blues, no matter if I'm playing Led Zeppelin or Slayer). Try sequencing, maybe? In case you don't know what that is, it's when you go like 123-234-345 with the notes in a scale. I've been doing it for the past month or so and my soloing's gotten a fair bit better since.
Quote by SlayingDragons
Nah, I prefer to tune lower. My tunings usually go into weird Hebrew symbols.
try learning about passing notes. its easy and it can make a real difference, but to be honest u will develop over time, just start learning your modes that will make a big difference.
Tokai SG in Ebony

Epiphone Les Paul Plus Top with Honeyburst Finish

Vox ValveTronix 15

Dunlop Crybaby Wah

Quote by 3volved
I'm a 'single-cut slut'...gotta go with the EC-1000.
well really you just need to learn all about your modes and other scales and key signatures. from there you just need to learn every note on the fretboard. thats really an easy way..it wont make you proffessional but its a start..myself i still need to learn every note passed the 12th fret thats my only problem. an easy way to improv over stuff is to learn how to do movable chromatic scales and practice it over and over,eventually youll memorize all the notes used,just use every note used in it on the exact same frets (in any order you wish) im not a pro but these are pretty novice ways to learn how to solo
Guitars

Dean Soltero USA
Gibson 2014 Les Paul Jr.
Epiphone Prophecy SG (GX? Red with Dirty Fingers?)
Learning the relative minor and incorperating arpeggio's into your playing is also a good way to spice it up. Using say a C major arpeggio over an A minor chord sounds interesting.
Last edited by SmokeJs at Jul 11, 2010,