Page 1 of 2
I have been playing roughly 3 years now and i still own a piece of shit ibanez gio and a piece of shit behringer v-ampire lx210. I am looking to really improve my sound. I was thinking of just getting a multi effects board but then again i dont know if it would be better to save for a new guitar or amp first instead or what.....halp.. I'm looking to spend around 600-1000 dollars Australian. What will get me the best sound for both metalcore and less heavy alt rock.
Don't buy a dean, put more money into an amp since that's what affects your tone the most. I'd say, first buy a great hi-gain combo such as the Peavey 6505(+) which should be around 600-700usd (not sure about the price in Australia), then buy yourself a guitar for the rest of the cash or save a little longer and get a guitar later. I'd say don't get a multi-fx until you really need one, I suggest getting a proper noise gate and an OD pedal because it will make your tone a lot tighter. My point is that you should be looking into gear that you won't have to replace in a long time, since buying starter gear such as a line 6 spider is just a waste since you will be craving better tones as you progress.
Last edited by Ascendant at Jul 11, 2010,
Alright I don't know about australian dollars but I'll try to help ya anyway.

Guitar: Alright I'm really biased on this one but I say get a Schecter. Not an expensive one if you plan on buyin other things with you're cash too. But they have GREAT models for $400-$500ish. Like the Damien series (just search Scehcter Damien on Guitarcenter.com). They're cheap and they got some good gear!

Effects: I personally own a RP500 and to be honest it's wwwwaaaayyyyy more than I'll EVER need. I seriously only use like 2 custom setups on it but it is a great piece of equipment because I know that if I EVER wanna change from Metalcore (which I play with my band) to some alternative stuff, I can easily do it. and it's only $300. Which if you think about it, if you get (good) separate distortion, chorus, delay, reverb, and say a noise gate you're gonna go WAY over $300.

Amp: Here it really depends what you want. If you want to just have a nice small practice amp then check out the new Spider IV series from Line 6. I own a Spider III 15watt combo amp and it's great for practicing in my room! If you want something to play with a band then I (personally) suggest a half stack. I currently own a Ibanez ToneBlaster half stack (which is $500) and it's great! However, I'm upgrading to 6505+ which is WAY out of you're price range but the Ibanez is great. Also, once again, Line 6 has some half stacks that are great and cheap!

Well I hope this helped, and before anyone starts saying "oh wow that gear sux": It DOESN'T and it's CHEAP. Which is what he wants. If he had more I would suggest better things.
-------------------------------------------------
facebook.com/thesedrowningtides
youtube.com/thesedrowningtides
Quote by danimalhxc

Guitar: Alright I'm really biased on this one but I say get a Schecter.

Schecters are pretty hard to find in Australia, but Damien's start at around $750

Quote by danimalhxc

Amp: Here it really depends what you want. If you want to just have a nice small practice amp then check out the new Spider IV series from Line 6. I own a Spider III 15watt combo amp and it's great for practicing in my room! If you want something to play with a band then I (personally) suggest a half stack. I currently own a Ibanez ToneBlaster half stack (which is $500) and it's great! However, I'm upgrading to 6505+ which is WAY out of you're price range but the Ibanez is great. Also, once again, Line 6 has some half stacks that are great and cheap!

I'm REALLY gonna have to disagree with you here. TS is looking to improve his sound. A Spider really isn't going to help him there, nor is an Ibanez Toneblaster.

TS I suggest you set most of that budget on an amp, and like someone already said, put the rest on a guitar or save up and get a guitar earlier. Check eBay or local stores that sell used for 2nd hand amps, I got my Marshall DSL401 for $705 off eBay, which is a steal.

If you really want to improve your sound, a nice tube amp is the way to go. Look for used Peavey 6505 or even a Marshall JCM 800 if you can find one. You're going to get a considerably better tone just from upgrading your amp
[quote="'[BurnTheDusk"]']Better than my plan, look at those perfect little dick suckin' lips!
Kid's a natural I tell yah!Orange Rockerverb 50 MKII
Marshall JCM 900 SL-X
Gibson Les Paul Studio Faded
Fender Mexican Standard Telecaster
Hey I built a guitar
Quote by Steve Holt
Schecters are pretty hard to find in Australia, but Damien's start at around $750

There are quite a number of schecter dealers. & for 750 you can get much better then a Damien series. Say, a hellraiser is around that price.
-------------------------------------------
Gear:

Guitar(s): .Shecter Tempest EXTREMEEEEEE
--------------Maton CW-80

Amplification: Randall RG75 G3
TS, if your guitar is comfortable to play and isn't hampering your playing, then you should upgrade your amp. Unless you really hate your guitar...If you want a new guitar and new amp then go for it, but don't skimp on the amp. That will have the biggest impact on your tone. I hear you can get some good deals on Jet City amps in Australia so I'd take a look at some of those. Avoid Marshall MG's, Line 6 Spiders and cheap solid state half stacks (you don't need a half stack to play shows or with a band).
Member #10 Of The Black Tooth Grin: Dimebag Memorial Club. PM Narmi To Join
Last edited by GNR4EVER at Jul 12, 2010,
Quote by Nimbus456
There are quite a number of schecter dealers. & for 750 you can get much better then a Damien series. Say, a hellraiser is around that price.

I was just going by Billy Hyde prices
[quote="'[BurnTheDusk"]']Better than my plan, look at those perfect little dick suckin' lips!
Kid's a natural I tell yah!Orange Rockerverb 50 MKII
Marshall JCM 900 SL-X
Gibson Les Paul Studio Faded
Fender Mexican Standard Telecaster
Hey I built a guitar
@steve Holt I was just givin him ideas of cheap amps. If he wants something GREAT he'll need way more than $1000.
if u are a fan of V's like I am, you should get the jackson kvx10 king V, with a peavy vypr 75 watt, if not a jackson wrxt warrior with the peavy vypr 75 watt have fun
Quote by danimalhxc
@steve Holt I was just givin him ideas of cheap amps. If he wants something GREAT he'll need way more than $1000.

No not really, no. There are amps for the same price as the spider that blow it out of the water.
Thanks guys. I didn't explain myself very well:
The money i will have at Christmas. I am a fairly poor 17 yr old who lives in a shitty small town that has no available jobs therefore my cashflow is very limited. I can have around 1000 dollars at that time because im now teaching guitar lessons to a kid round the corner and some other new income methods i won't go into. I am looking for ONE thing. MY behringer has a fair amount of effects and shit, but as ive gotten better i have craved a much better tone and come to realise it is essentially a piece of shit...it does EVERYTHING...badly.
I have a friend that has a 60 watt fender amp and a boss me70 and he gets excellent tone from that with his esp guitar.
Obviously every one of his components is of higher quality than mine and i wanted to know which 1 item would best increase my tone out of the three (guitar, board and amp).
I can only get one of these probs for the next year at least so it is important that as a relatively poor kid i get this shit right. I don't HATE the guitar....
The resounding answer seems to be "get a better amp" so i'll definitely look into that.
I wanted a board for the tone but im worried that it will be taking the cheap easy way out as with my behringer.
So there is the whole rant, thanks for the advice.
Last edited by Campbell2893 at Jul 15, 2010,
@Ascendant Like what? I'm not tryin to start anything I just wanna know what.
for a quick fix try the zoom g1-usb. awesome sounds and some good effects for a small price
Tokai SG in Ebony

Epiphone Les Paul Plus Top with Honeyburst Finish

Vox ValveTronix 15

Dunlop Crybaby Wah

Quote by 3volved
I'm a 'single-cut slut'...gotta go with the EC-1000.
Definitely invest in a nice amp. It will improve everything. I'd get a 6505 combo, or a ValveKing combo with some kind of booster or compressor.
Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

My band:
Fractured Instinct
(For fans of Death/Groove/Prog Metal)

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
Replace your pickups. I'm not sure what pickups came stock on your guitar but i got a rgex something and i hated the pickups. I slapped some sdblackouts in it and it sounds a hell of a lot better. I somewhat regret buying the active but I'm young and impulsive.
Anyone who suggests a Dean to someone with a 600-1000 budget should be banned from this site
Quote by Campbell2893
Thanks guys. I didn't explain myself very well:
The money i will have at Christmas. I am a fairly poor 17 yr old who lives in a shitty small town that has no available jobs therefore my cashflow is very limited. I can have around 1000 dollars at that time because im now teaching guitar lessons to a kid round the corner and some other new income methods i won't go into. I am looking for ONE thing. MY behringer has a fair amount of effects and shit, but as ive gotten better i have craved a much better tone and come to realise it is essentially a piece of shit...it does EVERYTHING...badly.
I have a friend that has a 60 watt fender amp and a boss me70 and he gets excellent tone from that with his esp guitar (this spoilt bastard is about a fifth my playing ability right now but has a dad with a pocketful).
Obviously every one of his components is of higher quality than mine and i wanted to know which 1 item would best increase my tone out of the three (guitar, board and amp).
I can only get one of these probs for the next year at least so it is important that as a relatively poor kid i get this shit right. I don't HATE the guitar....
The resounding answer seems to be "get a better amp" so i'll definitely look into that.
I wanted a board for the tone but im worried that it will be taking the cheap easy way out as with my behringer.
So there is the whole rant, thanks for the advice.

a board is not the way to get a good tone. if you have a crap amp behind a board, your effectively building on a faulty foundation. you would be better served buying a solid amp with good basic tones on tap. for the money, im really digging the peavey valvekings nowdays (i know, i sound like a busted record with these things); they have good cleans and very strong distorted sounds. and, its a tube amp so it responds to your playing; this is a key to really good tone.

spend your money on the amp first. then look into a guitar. the last thing to do is get effects. you need to build the foundation of your tone before you can start adding toys (i say toys not disrespectfully, but more because they are fun)
Quote by handbanana
Anyone who suggests a Dean to someone with a 600-1000 budget should be banned from this site

Funny how the person lives in Australia, and thats about how much they cost there.

To everyone who knows how to read: guitars in Australia are about 30%-40% more expensive there than they are in the states.
Quote by r0ckth3d34n
Funny how the person lives in Australia, and thats about how much they cost there.

To everyone who knows how to read: guitars in Australia are about 30%-40% more expensive there than they are in the states.

I was just about to post that. I swear most of them are like 50% more :/

I think for everyone trying to help, think of his budget as $500-$700 usd maybe less if prices are reallt bad
Quote by r0ckth3d34n

Whether they cost that much or not there, I would not suggest one to anyone looking for a respectable guitar. They are overpriced garbage, and are not at all worth what they charge for them.

I'd say a $1k Dean is usually equal quality to a $300 Ibanez RG.
Would literally only suggest a cheap dean to someone as their first guitar.
Quote by handbanana
Whether they cost that much or not there, I would not suggest one to anyone looking for a respectable guitar. They are overpriced garbage, and are not at all worth what they charge for them.

I'd say a $1k Dean is usually equal quality to a $300 Ibanez RG.
Would literally only suggest a cheap dean to someone as their first guitar.

Pfft. No matter what, a $300 Dean is going to be equal to a $300 Ibanez RG. Get serious.

a $1,000 Dean is going to kick the shit out of a $300 Ibanez RG. That's just a fact.

Besides, some people like Deans *looks at own signature,* and don't just jump on the "every dean is TEH SUXZ0RZ" bandwagon, because there are good ones.
Quote by danimalhxc

Guitar: Alright I'm really biased on this one but I say get a Schecter. Not an expensive one if you plan on buyin other things with you're cash too. But they have GREAT models for $400-$500ish. Like the Damien series (just search Scehcter Damien on Guitarcenter.com). They're cheap and they got some good gear!

Effects: I personally own a RP500 and to be honest it's wwwwaaaayyyyy more than I'll EVER need. I seriously only use like 2 custom setups on it but it is a great piece of equipment because I know that if I EVER wanna change from Metalcore (which I play with my band) to some alternative stuff, I can easily do it. and it's only $300. Which if you think about it, if you get (good) separate distortion, chorus, delay, reverb, and say a noise gate you're gonna go WAY over $300.

Well I hope this helped, and before anyone starts saying "oh wow that gear sux": It DOESN'T and it's CHEAP. Which is what he wants. If he had more I would suggest better things.

a 6505 isnt out of his price range
Gibson Grand Concert Acoustic
roland AC90

I mean this one time I was jacking it pertty hard and was making noises and what not

You, my friend, are a genius!
Quote by Nimbus456

hellraisers retail for like $1500+ in aus

for a practice amp, get a peavey vypyr 30. you can get them from Allans for $430 i think. it is pretty versatile.

as for a guitar, id go second hand, search on eBay. i saw a hellraiser go for $510. so im sure you can find a good deal on eBay

EDIT: @above http://www.allansmusic.com.au/prodcat/Guitar_Amps_and_Effects/Electric_Guitar_Amps/brand/Peavey.aspx

unless he can find a very cheap second hand 6505. its out of his price range.
Gear:

LTD MH-50
Peavey Vypyr 30
Last edited by LiquidFear at Jul 15, 2010,
Would have to agree that a NEW 6505 is far too much. A valveking is also slightly too expensive unless i can find one secondhand. Found some amp suggestions in my price range:
-vox valvetronix
-marshall haze
-marshall mg
-peavey vypr
-Fender frontman
Not sure which of them would be better... thoughts?
Quote by r0ckth3d34n
Pfft. No matter what, a $300 Dean is going to be equal to a $300 Ibanez RG. Get serious.

a $1,000 Dean is going to kick the shit out of a $300 Ibanez RG. That's just a fact.

Besides, some people like Deans *looks at own signature,* and don't just jump on the "every dean is TEH SUXZ0RZ" bandwagon, because there are good ones.

and What exactly are you basing your "facts" on?

I'm sure your dean sounds great through your solid state peavey amp.....
Quote by Campbell2893
Would have to agree that a NEW 6505 is far too much. A valveking is also slightly too expensive unless i can find one secondhand. Found some amp suggestions in my price range:
-vox valvetronix
-marshall haze
-marshall mg
-peavey vypr
-Fender frontman

Also if you can afford a Haze, you can afford the 6505 combo. They go for similar prices.

With that said, compared to the haze and 6505, the frontmant, mg, and vypyr are garbage. I don't know much about Vox but I hear nothing but good things.
Quote by handbanana
Also if you can afford a Haze, you can afford the 6505 combo. They go for similar prices.

With that said, compared to the haze and 6505, the frontmant, mg, and vypyr are garbage. I don't know much about Vox but I hear nothing but good things.

The Peavey Vypyr and the VOX ValveTronix are comparable.
The Vypyr is (arguably) better for metal.

And yeah, i agree with the Peavey 6505 combo suggestion.
It blows the other amps out of the water.

That said, a Bugera 6262 could also be an option...
Squier "VMC" Stratocaster
PRS SE Singlecut
tc electronic polytune
CMAT MODS Signa Drive
Blakemore Effects Deus Ex Machina
DIY gaussmarkov Dr. Boogey
EHX Small Clone
Mooer ShimVerb
DIY Beavis Devolt
T-REX Fuel Tank Chameleon
Ampeg GVT52-112
Quote by r0ckth3d34n

the only good deans are DBZ
Gibson Grand Concert Acoustic
roland AC90

I mean this one time I was jacking it pertty hard and was making noises and what not

You, my friend, are a genius!
I was looking at Schecters, and I would get the Demon over the Damien. Same price but the Demon has active pups and different wood. As far as I know, it's the successor to Damien and they improved it in a lot of different areas.

I just dunno how good the Seymour Duncan active pups are.

Also, I own a VOX VT50 and it's a great amp, but the metal offerings could be better. Luckily it's very receptive to pedals so it's still a good choice for metal guitarists. It's also woth mentioning that the VT series is touted as having a very tube-like sound for an SS amp. It does actually have a vacuum tube in its guts, but your own ears will have to decide if it's mor than just a gimmick.
Last edited by Concat at Jul 15, 2010,
Quote by Campbell2893
-vox valvetronix Meh
-marshall haze Meh
-marshall mg Shit
-peavey vypr Meh
-Fender frontman Shit-Meh

Blackstar HT-20 Combo. Heaps better. $819 with free shipping.
Then maybe a boost pedal if you feel you need it.
Last edited by consecutive e at Jul 15, 2010,
^I agree, pretty much all of the amps you listed aren't very good ones. I suggest you do some more research.
Quote by Skagasm
the only good deans are DBZ

Way to go and fail. Dean and DBZ aren't even the same company.

You should go play some Deans before biasing off a price tag and what headbanana said, who still has no idea what he's talking about.

Oh by the way, headbanana, how many have these have you played through?

Went to a shop by my house to find out if my guitar had a grounding problem. The guy there said he couldn't find a problem with it and couldn't believe how nice my guitar sounded for the price. He let me dabble around with it... oh yeah. It was nice.

EDIT: Even my guitar teacher, who has been playing for at least 20 years, says my Dean sound very "Gibson-esque," and has a very full tone for what it is. He owns a 1990 Gibson Les Paul Traditional Plus in heritage cherryburst... While you can think whatever you want, my Dean has way more tone than a friggin' RG.
Last edited by r0ckth3d34n at Jul 15, 2010,
Quote by r0ckth3d34n
While you can think whatever you want, my Dean has way more tone than a friggin' RG.

...what?

That doesn't even make any ****ing sense lol
Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

My band:
Fractured Instinct
(For fans of Death/Groove/Prog Metal)

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
Quote by Ascendant
Don't buy a dean, put more money into an amp since that's what affects your tone the most. I'd say, first buy a great hi-gain combo such as the Peavey 6505(+) which should be around 600-700usd (not sure about the price in Australia), then buy yourself a guitar for the rest of the cash or save a little longer and get a guitar later. I'd say don't get a multi-fx until you really need one, I suggest getting a proper noise gate and an OD pedal because it will make your tone a lot tighter. My point is that you should be looking into gear that you won't have to replace in a long time, since buying starter gear such as a line 6 spider is just a waste since you will be craving better tones as you progress.

Dude **** Peavey! The sound that comes out of them sounds so fake, Plus they're not user friendly at all!
Quote by DLXJRVO
Dude **** Peavey! The sound that comes out of them sounds so fake, Plus they're not user friendly at all!

Maybe the Vypyrs... I'm not very familiar with those very much but I can safely say that the amp sitting next to me is very user friendly. Only issue I've ever had with it is volume leveling between the channels. And that's not even a hard fix.

I never really liked the Vypyrs. They're especially hard to use without a manual. That's the only amp I can think of by Peavey that's not user friendly.
Like I said I'm sure his dean has a way better tone than an rg while playing his dean through a solid state peavey amp
Page 1 of 2