I'm using acrylic paint.
What do you guys think?
It's in my bedroom.

Anyone done this before and have tips?
Anyone who hasn't done this before want to give me some tips?
Suggestions are welcome.
There's going to be several more circles and I want to fill them with some cool symbols, ideas for those?

This picture is just for scale.

Its about 6/7 feet tall here and 4 feet wide.

Here's a more recent one.

Here's from earlier today, sorry about the quality.

That red streak thing will have several more striped lines coming from that one point.

I plan to have the whole wall filled up.
Also, just let me know what you think.

Thank you kindly pit.

EDIT: Here is what I "based" it off of. I drew this in class one day from my head and planned to have it with me as a general guide. I lost it though, so I've just been free forming.

Just step yourself outside, and look up at the stars above.

Last edited by Doctor Wu at Jul 11, 2010,
Woah dude, that's really cool. Nice job.

EDIT: Is the pink/purple/green thing supposed to be a swirl and a snake? It looks like a snake.
daytripper75

Bullieve

Quote by Amuro Jay
I'm gonna need specific instructions again on how to properly dance with my pants on my head.
Quote by lolmnt
First you put your pants on your head.
Second you dance.
Third you wipe off all the pussy.
Last edited by JayT44 at Jul 11, 2010,
pretty good my friend. i got no good advice but all the matters is that you like it.
also i assume you did make some practice drawings right?
E-married to BlessedRebel15
Most Attractive Female 2011 ^^
Dark Black Rivers in the WinterTime
Quote by CrunchyRoll
I'm not sure if you're aware of this or not, but everything is against the rules at UG
I like this. It's pretty trippy. I would really like to see this when it's fuller.
Quote by nodice182
Denny Crane.

Quote by dmiwshicldply
touche vman, touche

mate. feed. kill. repeat.
Ah were you the guy who wanted to decorate his room all trippy-like?

You seem to be off to a good start. Looks awesome.
I remember the thread where yuo were going to paint a trippy wall mural. Looks like it's off to a good start, man.

Quote by CoreysMonster

I still like cho0onger more than the 2 of you

Quote by OneHappyCamper
joke's on you, i actually fuck my cat

Here's after I got done working on it today.

Wait... are you restricting yourself to six or seven by four feet of wall or is the wall only six to seven feet tall?
Quote by Grundy0
Never forget what really matters in life, friends and family.
Team Pale Yellow?
------m-------m------
| | (oo) | |
||(~)||

Mom <3
God damn
all I ever wanted was to pick apart the day
put the pieces back together my way
Quote by americablanco
Wait... are you restricting yourself to six or seven by four feet of wall or is the wall only six to seven feet tall?

Nah man, that was just how big it was in the first couple pictures. My bed is gonna be there so I'm not going lower, but the rest of the wall will be filled.

Thanks all you guys by the way.

^^^
For a second I thought the ts added that. Looks cool so far.
There's danger on the edge of town,
Ride the king's highway baby

Quote by MightyAl

Do this.

Or, like continue with what you were doing.

Should have expected that, but I didn't, so I lol'd heartily.
Seattle Seahawks

Quote by chookiecookie
i feel like you have an obsession with aubrey plaza.

Quote by WCPhils
at least we can all agree SGstriker is the woooooooooooooooooooooorst
Quote by amaranth_todd
Needs more Bob Marley.

Epic work btw

I'm for it.
How would I go about that though?

That looks awesome and I think you should not let this thread die until you are fully finished painting your wall.

And post pictures.

Lots of pictures.
Quote by blackenedktulu
CFH82, I love you. I didn't laugh, but my god, I love you.

Quote by Zero-Hartman
Holy shit, that was epic. A mighty roar escapeth'd my mouth.

Quote by WyvernOmega
I saw a penis.

last.fm
are you using any mediums for the acrylic? you may want to for the detailed parts as it will dry slower and flow off the brush easier
now extra flamey

The latest.

This is gonna be a chicks face with flowy hair and what not. Not sure if I want to detail it yet and add definition. Should I?

Last edited by Doctor Wu at Jul 23, 2010,
I wish I had your talent.
dirtbag ballet by the bins down the alley
as i walk through the chalet of the shadow of death
everything that you've come to expect

A day of the deadish skull.

Some clouds.

Nice! I say just keep adding things to it, it will look great.
[img]http://cdn.gs.uproxx.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/05/v.gif[/img]
Suggestion, what about a spaceship (alien like UFO) with the little light thingy that it uses to abduct people with? I think it would be cool with all different colours (mainly purple though).

EDIT: If you do use this I wants name some where in small print. Good job too!
Scale

The
Summit

Originally Posted by Guitarbaddie
Dude, she's like 12, what is wrong with you?

Originally Posted by RockGuitar92
You're the one who came on her face.

I reckon some slight splatter paint Ala Jason Pollock but on less crack style would look mad.
Quote by Doctor Wu
I'm using acrylic paint.
What do you guys think?
It's in my bedroom.

Anyone done this before and have tips?

I paint murals regularly and also use acrilic paint.

For a nice bright result, try to use the paint neat instead of adding water. Any bright yellows should first be undercoated in white.

I'd also advise you to use a plastic pallet to mix colours because a wooden one dries out the paint too quickly. Also because of the sponge like nature of plaster on walls, once the paint is on the wall it dries very quickly, to combat this (useful when blending) mix your paint with KY Jelly, which if you don't know is a water-soluble... ermm.... personal lubricant, available from most chemists.

Another piece of advise is instead of buying white acrilic paint, (which is the colour that I tend to use the most of because of all the mixing and highlighting) use normal household emulsion instead, it mixes perfectly well with acrilic and is much cheaper to buy and also has the added advantage of making the paint take longer to dry so that you can manipulate it for longer.
Quote by SlackerBabbath
I paint murals regularly and also use acrilic paint.

For a nice bright result, try to use the paint neat instead of adding water. Any bright yellows should first be undercoated in white.

I'd also advise you to use a plastic pallet to mix colours because a wooden one dries out the paint too quickly. Also because of the sponge like nature of plaster on walls, once the paint is on the wall it dries very quickly, to combat this (useful when blending) mix your paint with KY Jelly, which if you don't know is a water-soluble... ermm.... personal lubricant, available from most chemists.

Another piece of advise is instead of buying white acrilic paint, (which is the colour that I tend to use the most of because of all the mixing and highlighting) use normal household emulsion instead, it mixes perfectly well with acrilic and is much cheaper to buy and also has the added advantage of making the paint take longer to dry so that you can manipulate it for longer.

This. Some sort of sealant over the area you're working on will make things a lot easier - if it's white, it will make your bright colours brighter and more vivid, too.
The only thing I would add is to try and find some matt varnish or similar sealant to go over the top when you're finished - it will protect the mural, both from light physical damage, and(to a small extent) from fading due to exposure to light.
Hey, so, you wanna do my room next?
❒ Taken ❒ Single ✔ Would like a sandwich

Vereor Deus

Quote by dann_blood
Branding!?!? THAT'S TOO PROGRESSIVE! I say bring back settlement payments in weights of lead and impalement upon wooden stakes!

Quote by Doctor Matthews
Oh! Sorry, I thought that was a braille name tag.
xMarkx, there will definitely be a UFOish thing. I read that and what like holy shit, thats what I need. And I'll give credit as well.

Bass First-That would be great, but the house being built right now, almost done, and the trim is finished and carpet so its too messy.

Slacker, MightyAl, thanks for the tips. I'm sure i'll cover with a matte finish.

Total for all the paint and the medium was 50-60 dollars and I've used about half of most tubes, less for white and magenta. The medium was 20 though, so thats a lot of the cost.

Ratracekid, sure.

Quote by MightyAl
This. Some sort of sealant over the area you're working on will make things a lot easier

Absolutely, sealing the wall with emulsion makes your acrilic go a lot further that if you were using it straight onto bare plaster.
Quote by metalkickTM
How much did all the paint cost so far?

I've recently done a full (4 walls) surround mural in a child's bedroom for a client on walls that measured about 15 foot long by about 9 foot high.
I bought a 'System 3' selection set...

...which has 8 x 75ml tubes of artists' quality acrylic colour and cost me about £20, a large tub of white emulsion, which was the store's own brand so it only cost about £10, and a medium tub of sky blue emulsion, again, the store's own brand which cost about £8.

During the job I ran out of yellow and had to buy another acrilic tube. (£2.70)

So, all told, a cost of about £40 in materials. (I already had the brushes)

The sky blue emulsion was bought because the scene that I painted was of an outdoor summer scene with lots of characters from the child's favourite TV show, so there's the basic colour of the sky which takes up most of the walls, which I lightened with the white emulsion towards the horizon. (go look at the blue sky outside, above you, high up, it's a much darker blue than it is at the horizon)
The ground was basicaly two shades of green, which I made by mixing yellow acrilic with the sky blue, seperating it into two tubs and adding white emulsion to one of them. Then there were lots of trees, of which you could only see the trunks (the leaves were above the ceiling line) so lots of brown was needed.
Luckily, the client had a half tin of fairly dark purple emulsion knocking around from when he had painted his bedroom, so I added yellow acrilic to it and lightened it with the white emulsion, again, seperating the initial 'dark brown' colour into different tubs, 3 this time, and adding different amounts of white emulsion giving me 3 different shades of brown.
The characters were simply painted in neat acrilic with white emulsion used for highlighting.

I've still got half a tub of white emulsion, half a tub of sky blue and lots of the acrilic paint left, infact, I bet I could easily do the whole job again with the materials I have left over.

An update. The latest and greatest.
With me there for size reference.