im not sure, but i think the wonderful jimmi page does it for artistic purposes, tell me what you think

Communication Breakdown
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CNip8ZEesow

the solo starts around 1:23 and yeah, sounds in key, but i wonder whats happening exactly in the part that starts 1:44, i feel that the bended note at 1:50 kinda resolves that weird scale he is using there which is the section which i think is going out of key for artistic purposes

The Shapes of Things
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HTO7WVxjz3A

the solo starts at 1:46, i think the part of the artistic off key is located between 1:50 and 1:53, i believe some of the notes are completely out of the key but when he does the bended note it kinda resolves it

so what the hell is jimmi page doing in these 2 awsome pieces of music?

im sure that there are some zep songs out there which contain this element but cant remember exactly right now

and i know you pit monkeys are all into melodic death metal and metalcore but listen to this though, i know there are few who are lovers of classic rock anyway
out of key =/= bad

First one is just chromatic.

Second one sounds like total crap IMO.

Quote by actaderock
and i know you pit monkeys are all into melodic death metal and metalcore but listen to this though, i know there are few who are lovers of classic rock anyway

Lol'd
Check out my band Disturbed
Last edited by StewieSwan at Jul 11, 2010,
CB: He's just doing a chromatic run basically bending two notes and moving up the fret board. Because he's moving up in half or whole steps he's just making it a climax as opposed to "hitting wrong notes" it's very much a musical technique.

SOT: There's is nothing musical about it, I don't care if he's jimmy page, that was terrible.
Quote by actaderock
im not sure, but i think the wonderful jimmi page does it for artistic purposes, tell me what you think

Communication Breakdown
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CNip8ZEesow

the solo starts around 1:23 and yeah, sounds in key, but i wonder whats happening exactly in the part that starts 1:44, i feel that the bended note at 1:50 kinda resolves that weird scale he is using there which is the section which i think is going out of key for artistic purposes

The Shapes of Things
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HTO7WVxjz3A

the solo starts at 1:46, i think the part of the artistic off key is located between 1:50 and 1:53, i believe some of the notes are completely out of the key but when he does the bended note it kinda resolves it

so what the hell is jimmi page doing in these 2 awsome pieces of music?

im sure that there are some zep songs out there which contain this element but cant remember exactly right now

Well his guitar is way out of tune for shapes of things. (listen how bad it gets right before the solo starts). Seems to me that he was aware of it and was distracted.
So I wouldn't even consider that an example of playing out of key......it's more of a mishap.

Page does do some sloppy/noisy stuff which sounds musically/artistically brilliant IMO.

Quote by Mullen2105
CB: He's just doing a chromatic run basically bending two notes and moving up the fret board. Because he's moving up in half or whole steps he's just making it a climax as opposed to "hitting wrong notes" it's very much a musical technique.

right, a chromatic climb with unison bends. starts in key..... chromatic climb (adds tension).... ends up back in key again

Quote by Mullen2105

SOT: There's is nothing musical about it, I don't care if he's jimmy page, that was terrible.

well its' not completely unmusical. Its out of tune. Hard to play a solo that way. You expect one note and you get another.... then you're distracted but on the spot and have to play anyway. He probably realized it on that 1st bend, and that threw him off. (my personal guess). I agree that it sounded pretty crappy. Shit happens.
shred is gaudy music
Last edited by GuitarMunky at Jul 12, 2010,
Quote by Sean0913
I just think he doesn't know as much as people think he did. He was a studio musician and played blues. But there are a ton of bad notes in this guys repertoire, that were probably just done on the fly.

Sean

All I really know about Jimmy's music theory knowledge is that he did indeed read sheet. That hints that he did know at least the fundamentals of music theory. Some of his improvisations (live in particular) didn't always come off that good, but probably lends more to the fact that he was usually either high as F*ck, or drunk.
"Swords, nature's hell sticks."- Trip Fisk