Does anyone have any ballpark figures on what something like that costs? I googled around but can't seem to get some solid figures. My dad has an old 1975 that I'd like to have fixed up for his birthday one of these years. I know each job would be individual and costs will vary depending on condition and such, but is there a basic starting point that anyone has ever heard of?
Also keep in mind a refin and a restore aren't necessarily the same thing. So if you're just looking to get a new finish on there, that's one thing, but if you're looking to get the guitar as close to possible as it was when it came off the line in '75, then that's a whole different ball park and you need to make sure you specify that when you talk to whoever will be doing the work.
Hmm, I sort of thought that restoring it back to the 75 condition would be the best thing. But I didn't know that there would be a difference in a refinish or restore. Are there different materials or methods used in order to get it to the 75 condition vs. just a "refinish"?

Where do I go to have something like this done?
Well the only thing is that there are different methods of finishing and they aren't all "equal".

For instance, a guy I kjnow once had a fairly beat up Les Paul he had refinished with poly because he personally didn't care about the difference, or the stigma that goes with that,and it cost him less. He just wanted it refined.

But for a restore, the person doing the work will use nitro and they'll attempt to match it to the original finish as closely as possible.

It probably won't be a HUGE difference in cost, but it will be a difference.

And I'd just hate to have you go in and ask for a refin and have the guy doing the work give you a "similar" color in poly rather than an exact restoration.
Please make sure to take pics of all the hardware (tuners, bridge, knobs, etc.) and electronics (PUs, caps, pots, switch). There's a thriving market for vintage parts where collectors pay obscene amounts.

If parts are getting replaced, make sure to get the old parts back.

Just curious, how bad does it look? Pics?

Does he want it refinished? I doubt it unless it's real bad.
Quote by SlackerBabbath

I also have hairy butt cheeks, I once shaved a letter 'W' on each cheek, so that when I bent over it spelled WoW.

warning, some of the contents of this post may not necessarily be completely true.
I'll see if I can snag it from him and get some pictures. It's not terrible, just some wear through the finish mid-neck from heavy play soloing I'm sure. Another spot on the back of the body where his belt buckle must have rubbed. It was the 70's after all

He cut the original pick guard to fit in some different pickups. Did that himself as a teenager so of course it doesn't look good. Other than that, everything is stock and has never been worked on AFAIK. It plays pretty good. Action is a bit high for me, nothing that can't be adjusted.

Because of what was mentioned about stock hardware being ripped off, now I'm hesitant to ship it to someone. I'd rather just keep it here in town if possible. I don't know who would do it locally though. Just thinking out loud.
Quote by Jackslap77
I'll see if I can snag it from him and get some pictures. It's not terrible, just some wear through the finish mid-neck from heavy play soloing I'm sure. Another spot on the back of the body where his belt buckle must have rubbed. It was the 70's after all

He cut the original pick guard to fit in some different pickups. Did that himself as a teenager so of course it doesn't look good. Other than that, everything is stock and has never been worked on AFAIK. It plays pretty good. Action is a bit high for me, nothing that can't be adjusted.

Because of what was mentioned about stock hardware being ripped off, now I'm hesitant to ship it to someone. I'd rather just keep it here in town if possible. I don't know who would do it locally though. Just thinking out loud.
There are unscrupulous shops who will "upgrade/replace" vintage parts for modern/shiny parts and flip the old parts on eBay where tons of tone chasers will pay massive premium prices to get vintage parts.

In order to re-finish, they will dis-assemble everything. You'd even want the PG screws back if they're being replaced. Same thing with the cloth-covered wires, etc.

Why can't you just do a set-up, buy the shiny parts yourself, and store the original bits and bobs in a safe place with lots of dessicant?

Now that you mention it, maybe he wouldn't want any of that done to it. Isn't there a crowd that loves the used up look? Gives the instrument character and all that? I was just considering doing it, I hadn't gotten so far yet as to ask him if he even wanted it done.

I didn't want to change all the hardware out or anything, just get those bad spots fixed up but maybe he won't want it. Ugh, I was thinking it might improve it's value or something. He doesn't really play it anymore, if so it is rare. He wants a Mark Farner replica Eastwood Messenger guitar. That is what he has his sights set on for now. The Les Paul will just continue to sit as it has for many years now.