Hi,
I'm sick of my Ibanez GSR200 and now that I'm getting far more interested in playing bass I'm stuck between buying either a 4003 or a Deluxe P. Bass. I've played both, but both have amazing features and tone. I've mostly been influenced by Lemmy's sound, Steve Harris' style and Claypool's ability. And so I enjoy playing pick, fingers and slap...

I find the P. Bass had a more friendly approach to playing and a very clear and pronounced tones but kind of lacks features of the 4003 and the appeal, it kind of doesn't stand out as much... The 4003 however, has a cutting, punchy sound with a sharp attack and loud high-end plus it has on-stage appeal with its striking good looks but they're rare enough as it is, hard to get and its a little uncomfortable to play.

I'm kind of leaning towards the rickey, what's your opinions?
okay, First off no one should be thinking about an MIA or a 4003 if they have a GSR200 on the stand. it just seems wrong to me.

what kind of amp are you running through? what style of music do you lay personally?

4003 vs P-bass is apples to oranges. they are completely different basses.
no sir away a papaya war is on
Quote by the_perdestrian
okay, First off no one should be thinking about an MIA or a 4003 if they have a GSR200 on the stand. it just seems wrong to me.

what kind of amp are you running through? what style of music do you lay personally?

4003 vs P-bass is apples to oranges. they are completely different basses.

So I'd be going from a Datsun to a Lamborghini, no one said I had to squeeze the throttle all the way on my first few rides with it...

Running through a Fender Bassman 250W/210. I play rock and metal along the lines of mainly AC/DC, Maiden, Motorhead, Metallica, Megadeth and Sabbath.
Last edited by BillCarson at Jul 12, 2010,
Honestly, if I had the chance to get a rick I'd snatch it up no questions, but thats just me.

if you can afford a rick you might wanna get a less expensive P and a better amp?

but really, snatch up the rick.

the differences between the two are pretty much what you said in the first post, so don't listen to me I'm just in love with Rickenbacker full stop. Weigh them up and think what do you want from the bass, and see what gives it.
"Whats that noise??"

"... Jazz"
Have you put a good amount of time into trying them both out? You mentioned that you find the Rick a bit uncomfortable, which should be a small red flag right there.

Lots of people fall in love with the 4003, and it is a very unique and stand-out-ish bass. But the only real reason to get a Rick is because you crave that Rickenbacker tone that is oh so unique. If you don't necessarily want/need that Rick sound, or find a Rick too uncomfortable, then you shouldn't really be considering one at all (unless you're collecting).

Personally, I'd say MIA P bass Deluxe hands down. Partially because I don't associate Rickenbacker with comfort, partially because I find a P Deluxe to be more versatile, less of a one trick pony.
Composite Aficionado

Spector and Markbass
I'm sort of in the same boat as you TS. I've got the same bass and want a big upgrade next, but I'm not certain if I want a Rick or a P bass. I'd say the Rick though, just because of the resale value, so you could easily change your mind and sell it/trade it for a different high quality bass.

Quote by the_perdestrian

What. Just...what.
P-bass for sure. There shouldn't be doubt about the playability of the bass - and the Ricky tone isn't for everyone.
signature
Out of those two, I'd say go for a Jazz. It'll get all the tones you want, and be perfect for slap, fingerstyle, everything.

Of course, that's my opinion.
In the bass chat:

<Jon> take the quote of me out your sig plx
<Jon> i hate seeing what i said around lol

Leader of the Bass Militia PM to join!

And now on BANDCAMP!

Officially the funniest member of the Bass Forum.
I'd go Precision bass and get a decent amp.
Fender '51 Precision Bass
Hofner Verythin LTD Edition Guitar in Walnut w/ Bigsby
Engelhardt ES9 Upright Bass
1968 Trayner YBA 1A MK II Amp
w/ 6x10 cabinet

www.iaminlimbo.com
What about the P-Bass deluxe special? Is it really the best of both the precision and jazz? I'd go for that one, its half the price of either!
Between a Rickenbacker and a Deluxe Fender all there is is your opinion. Both will be impeccable quality and neither can make the same tones as the other.
Personally, I would suggest getting a kickass amp and a more mid-level bass.

How long have to been playing and are you in any bands?
Cheaper basses that play great and sound great are more common than cheaper amps that play great and sound great. How did you narrow down the decision to those two? I hope it's not because you know two people selling them. Go to a store and play around. Do that with a bunch of other stores. Then make a decision on what kind of bass to get.

I would try to get a high end amp and cab. What style of music do you want to play? You listed influences but that's not necessarily what you wish to play.

To answer your original question, it's the rick for me no question. If I wanted a fender I'd settle with a MIJ and do some mods to it, while I'd commit murder for a rickenbacker :>
well since youve tried them both out, remember:
they are both high quality basses
the ric will have less versatility, but will resale better
ultimately, go with whichever neck felt better. dont get a rick just to get a rick
Personally, having played both, I think the Ric sounds better but the P-bass feels better. I may be biased however as my main bass was a Fender Jazz so the P-bass feels more at home. Ergonomically Rics are just a bit weird, the neck profile, the neck taper, pickup positioning and body shape all feel a bit unusual.
Quote by Alex Vik
I'd say the Rick though, just because of the resale value, so you could easily change your mind and sell it/trade it for a different high quality bass.

I agree, I can probably get the Rick and if I don't like it, it could probably resell for almost full price considering people here don't like waiting a year for their Rickey to arrive.

However, I am not a very experienced bass player yet so I find that either Rick or P. Bass, I can probably adapt to either one's feel. So it really boils down to sound IMO which, in either case, I love both. But which is better overall for slap, finger picking and picking?
My Rig:

-Peavey T-40
-Fender Bassman 250/210
-Boss Bass Overdrive ODB-3

"Rock and Roll is the only religion that will never let you down!" - Lemmy Kilmister
Last edited by BillCarson at Jul 13, 2010,
Quote by BillCarson
But which is better overall for slap, finger picking and picking?

Totally subjective.

The ric and P have such different tones you can't honestly compare them.

You can slap, finger or pick both of them just as easily as the other. They will both have totally different sounds though.

Honestly... i can't think of too many people that slap on a P or a Ric though...

Have you considered an Earnie Ball Stingray? Other than the afformentioned Fender Jazz... a Ray is the only mainstream bass that can really handle slap, finger and picking.
Quote by Din of Win
Other than the afformentioned Fender Jazz... a Ray is the only mainstream bass that can really handle slap, finger and picking.

There is no bass that you can't slap, pick, and/or use your fingers on. If something can't handle a picking/strumming/etc. technique, it's the bassist, not the bass. As long as your technique is good, and you know how to adjust the eq your amp, any technique can sound good on any bass.
Composite Aficionado

Spector and Markbass
Last edited by Tostitos at Jul 14, 2010,
Quote by Tostitos

There is no bass that you can't slap, pick, and/or use your fingers on. If something can't handle a picking/strumming/etc. technique, it's the bassist, not the bass. As long as your technique is good, and you know how to adjust the eq your amp, any technique can sound good on any bass.

Fair enough.

I simply added my $.02 due to the kind of tone one would NORMALY think of when it comes to slap. I never said you 'couldn't' slap on a ric or p, i just said it's not what people usually use when it comes to that style. My reccomendation was tone based, not technique.
"Punk Rock should mean freedom, liking and accepting anything that you like, as sloppy as you want, as long as it's good and has passion."