Since I am new here, I have no idea what type of guitar you guys like/recommend.
Let me start by saying that while I am a fairly new guitarist, I am not that bad. I already know a few songs off by heart but I still have a lot to learn.
I have a really cheap electric (looks like a Fender Strat) that I bought off some Chinese site and it is truly terrible. From the 12th fret up, the frets are spaced wrong, not so you'd notice when playing individual notes, but in chords etc it is really noticable.

Anywho, I am looking to upgrade to something good, but not excellent. I am currently investigating the Ephiphone G-400 Cherry (or Worn Cherry). My price range is anything below $750-ish (AUD or USD). I live in Australia, by the way.

Any ideas?
P.S, I also want something with a more metal sound (and look, possibly)
Any help is much appreciated.
Look at Jackson. Great for metal.
Guitar:
Jackson DX10D Dinky
Ibanez Tone Blaster 150w head
Line Six 4x12 cab
Marshall MG10CD
Dunlop Crybaby from Hell

Bass:
Ibanez ATK
Random ass EQ thing that's not even a real bass amp
1x18 2x10 cab
I'd say buy an Epi Les Paul if you're looking at Gibsonesque products. It's a good guitar continue learning on and it's pretty versatile. If you like Fender's slimmer C shaped necks then maybe look into a Classic Vibe Telecaster. Those are the two obvious choices, but there are many great guitars from different companies in that price range as well. Agile 2000s are a fraction of that price and really solid LPish style guitars.
Gear:

Squier Strat
Epiphone Explorer
Agile AL-3100

No AMP
I'm an aussie myself,
I'd reccomend ordering an agile guitar from overseas... I don't think they are stocked anywhere in Australia, and they seem to be pretty good quality for the price.
For another $100 you can get a schecter Blackjack ATX, and god damn they are nice guitars, which would be my personal prefference for that price range, and it'd be perfect for a more metalish sound, they come with EMG's.
-------------------------------------------
Gear:

Guitar(s): .Shecter Tempest EXTREMEEEEEE
--------------Maton CW-80

Amplification: Randall RG75 G3
Last edited by Nimbus456 at Jul 12, 2010,
Jackson, Ibanez, Schecter, ESP LTD.
Those are some great metal guitars companies.
TRY some at the store.
I can't stress that you try them, and try them LONG, and HARD.
Cause you want one that's right.
On playing the Paul Gilbert signature at the guitar store extensively, my missus sighed:
"Put it down now, It's like you love that guitar more than me!"
In Which I replied.
"Well it has got two F-Holes!"
Any idea what shipping would be like to Australia from the U.S.?

The only reason I ask is that I was in Australia about a year and a half ago and I was blown away by the cost of the guitars when I went into a shop in Sydney (even after factoring in exchange rates, etc)

I even took pictures of the guitars with their hang tags to show my friends back in Canada.

For instance:

THat works out to $4240 CDN right now. Here's that same guitar on a Canadian website

http://www.long-mcquade.com/products/1529/Guitars/Electric/Gibson/Les_Paul_Standard_2008_Lightburst.htm

$2599 CDN!

Then there's this one:

That's the equivalent of $855 bucks in Canada for an Epiphone Les Paul standard!

So what I'm getting it, as that if all guitars are that overpriced in Australia, then maybe it's worth looking into an Agile. That way you can buy from a US store in USD, save the giant Australian price difference, and even after the shipping charge, get a great product at a great price.
Last edited by FullDistortion at Jul 12, 2010,
My Friend from Norway just came back from America.
He bought a Les Paul Supreme.
Great price, brand new, smashing sunburst finish, much cheaper in the states.
Wouldn't recommend shipping really.
Although if I were, try thomann.de perhaps.

maybe another user will be more helpful.
On playing the Paul Gilbert signature at the guitar store extensively, my missus sighed:
"Put it down now, It's like you love that guitar more than me!"
In Which I replied.
"Well it has got two F-Holes!"
Quote by FullDistortion
Any idea what shipping would be like to Australia from the U.S.?

The only reason I ask is that I was in Australia about a year and a half ago and I was blown away by the cost of the guitars when I went into a shop in Sydney (even after factoring in exchange rates, etc)

I even took pictures of the guitars with their hang tags to show my friends back in Canada.

For instance:

THat works out to $4240 CDN right now. Here's that same guitar on a Canadian website

http://www.long-mcquade.com/products/1529/Guitars/Electric/Gibson/Les_Paul_Standard_2008_Lightburst.htm

$2599 CDN!

Then there's this one:

That's the equivalent of $855 bucks in Canada for an Epiphone Les Paul standard!

So what I'm getting it, as that if all guitars are that overpriced in Australia, then maybe it's worth looking into an Agile. That way you can buy from a US store in USD, save the giant Australian price difference, and even after the shipping charge, get a great product at a great price.

woah 4.2k for a les paul standard? i have the southpaw version and it costed like 2.5k

also look up gaskell guitars, they're not that great, but they're aussies and they have some good explorer models
Eh.
my first guitar was a ibanez grg 170 dx and it was great
try not to get a really nice guitar from the start because that way when you will want to upgrade it will be a pain because you will have to look for a even better guitar
in the end most people like new guitars
that's what keeps me going, whenever i stop playing guitar for a long time i know its time for new gear, it keeps me motivated
I'd go starting with the Fender Starcaster beginner pack but wouldn't keep it for too long because the equipment isn't well made and the sound is one of the worse in the industry but good luck
For shipping from the US you'd be looking at anywhere between 100-300.
-------------------------------------------
Gear:

Guitar(s): .Shecter Tempest EXTREMEEEEEE
--------------Maton CW-80

Amplification: Randall RG75 G3
Quote by Flaming_Goat
Since I am new here, I have no idea what type of guitar you guys like/recommend.
Let me start by saying that while I am a fairly new guitarist, I am not that bad. I already know a few songs off by heart but I still have a lot to learn.
I have a really cheap electric (looks like a Fender Strat) that I bought off some Chinese site and it is truly terrible. From the 12th fret up, the frets are spaced wrong, not so you'd notice when playing individual notes, but in chords etc it is really noticable.

Anywho, I am looking to upgrade to something good, but not excellent. I am currently investigating the Ephiphone G-400 Cherry (or Worn Cherry). My price range is anything below $750-ish (AUD or USD). I live in Australia, by the way.

Any ideas?
P.S, I also want something with a more metal sound (and look, possibly)
Any help is much appreciated.

i play electric guitar for 4 years and i had a DEAN vendetta for start..its a very nice guitar for a beginner and cheap enought...i bought it for 350 euros