Hello,

I was just wondering if anyone could help me figure out what modes and arpeggios Larry Carlton is playing in the studio version of Kid Charlemagne's guitar solo. Yes, I know a few modes and arpeggios but I am still having a hard time deciphering this.

The first two pentatonic licks are no biggy, but when he starts that third lick with the chromatic passing tone/arpeggioish deal and really starts wailing, he loses me.

Anyhow, I was hoping someone could pick out a few of the licks/modes/arps/whatever he's doing so I could use these devices in my own playing.
never heard this solo but maybe use what you already know about the song to help you.

in some way they have to be connected or it'll sound ike crap
Gotta keep my eyes from the circling skies...
tounge tied and twisted just an earth bound misfit...

>CRYPTIC METAPHOR<

Quote by ilikepirates
ilikeyou.

not hated
there is nothing in this solo that is all too complicated. he's just playing common scales over different chords then usual.

it's a lot of pentatonics with triads.

a majority of the time he's using a pentatonic scale a major 3rd above the maj7th chords.

i forgot the chords for the solo, but i do believe there is a Fmaj7 chord somewhere underneath him, and he plays A minor pentatonic ideas over it. However, he doesn't do normal type of licks that a rock player might do, he'll do different rhythmic patterns.

he also likes to play major triads a whole step up from dominant 7th chords. He does it in this solo too from what i remember.

so here are two new concepts you can mess around with in your own playing.

1. over a major chord, you can play a pentatonic scale a major 3rd up. so for Fmaj/Fmaj7/Fmaj9 etc you can play an A minor pentatonic.

2. over any dominant 7th chord, you can play a major triad a whole step up. ex: you have a C7, you can play D major triadic ideas all over the neck. It gives a #11/b5 type of sound.

also btw, never use the word modes. There are no modes being played here
http://richmusic.dmusic.com

"Those who dream by night, in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find that all was vanity; but dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they may act their dream with open eyes, and make it possible."
Last edited by rich2k4 at Jul 12, 2010,
Quote by STONESHAKER

Anyhow, I was hoping someone could pick out a few of the licks/modes/arps/whatever he's doing so I could use these devices in my own playing.

It's a great solo.

learn it... the whole thing. memorize it.

play it, feel it, dig it.

That's how you get those devices into your own playing.
shred is gaudy music
Last edited by GuitarMunky at Jul 12, 2010,
Quote by rich2k4
there is nothing in this solo that is all too complicated. he's just playing common scales over different chords then usual.

it's a lot of pentatonics with triads.

a majority of the time he's using a pentatonic scale a major 3rd above the maj7th chords.

i forgot the chords for the solo, but i do believe there is a Fmaj7 chord somewhere underneath him, and he plays A minor pentatonic ideas over it. However, he doesn't do normal type of licks that a rock player might do, he'll do different rhythmic patterns.

he also likes to play major triads a whole step up from dominant 7th chords. He does it in this solo too from what i remember.

so here are two new concepts you can mess around with in your own playing.

1. over a major chord, you can play a pentatonic scale a major 3rd up. so for Fmaj/Fmaj7/Fmaj9 etc you can play an A minor pentatonic.

2. over any dominant 7th chord, you can play a major triad a whole step up. ex: you have a C7, you can play D major triadic ideas all over the neck. It gives a #11/b5 type of sound.

also btw, never use the word modes. There are no modes being played here

So that's what he's doing. Huh. I need to go look into why this works.

Thanks a bunch!
first get the sound of these concepts in your ears. then figure out why it works. Sound first.....explanations later.
http://richmusic.dmusic.com

"Those who dream by night, in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find that all was vanity; but dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they may act their dream with open eyes, and make it possible."
Aha, thanks Quinny. I guess I gotta learn the neck a little bit more to be able to hit those target tones a bit better in my own leads.

Thanks to everybody else that responded.

/thread