Hello! First post.

I've read some of the threads, and looked around. Currently, I'm looking for an amp to set a goal for (I currently have no funds at the moment, but intend to save up for one over the next couple months).

The thing is, I play a pretty wide variety of songs, that I would like to be able to play (most) of them without them sounding bad. Particularly, a couple songs in particular. I love rocking out to "Welcome Home" by Coheed and Cambria, but I also enjoy very mellow songs like "Hard to Concentrate" by RHCP or "I Will Follow You Into The Dark" by Death Cab for Cutie.

Really, the Fender Hot Rod Deluxe looked like it would be the best option for an all-tube amp. But I'm not entirely sold on it, yet, if that would be the best option for me.
So, my questions...

How versatile is the Fender Hot Rod Deluxe, and what does it do best?
Is it a good amp for its price?

About the pedals,

I have two boss pedals. The DS-1 Distortion, and MT-2 Metal Zone. And I'm kind of regretting them. lol.

From what I hear, the DS-1 can be modified to be a shitload better.
I've read a guide on how to do it, but circuits are new to me. My dad has all the necessary tools, and the parts to do it are cheap enough. But is it worth attempting to mod it, or should I try selling it to some other poor soul, for a wee bit of cash?

And if I did end up modding it, would it be better or worse to use with the Hot Rod opposed to the amp's settings?

As for the MT-2... what should I do with that? Would that be worth modding, or should I try selling that to get rid of it? (My brother plays bass, and it sounded pretty fantastic with his setup, so I'd have a potential buyer, if that's the course i should go...)

Thanks for any help!
The HRD is a great option if you want a nice, clean tone. The drive channel on it is a bit weak and you'll more than likely want to use a dirt pedal, but cranking the volume on the clean channel gets you a nice overdrive and helps the drive channel sound a bit more full and less harsh.

As for the pedals, a modded DS-1 would definitely be an improvement over the stock model and more than likely the HRD's distortion. The MT-2 can be modded into a great high gain pedal, but other pedals like the Barber Dirty Bomb would be worth looking into. Also, I wouldn't make broad generalizations about Boss from these two pedals. They really do have some fantastic stuff
Board:
Pitchblack - Fulltone Octafuzz - Hardwire OD - Blakemore Effects Deus Ex Machina - MXR Micro Chorus - Diamond Memory Lane Jr - EHX SMMH - Neunaber Wet
I own a hot red deluxe myself and I must say its perfect for blues (which is mostly what I play).

Cleans are nice and clear, and the overdrive channel gives me that dirty, gritty black keys style tone (i play it with a fender american standard strat). Thinking of upgrading to a twin reverb soon though
My Last.FM page. Add me!

Quote by severed-metal
I frequent so many big dick forums it's ridiculous

PSN name: sixty5days
The amp should be fine for RHCP and Death Cab for Cutie; however, I doubt that it's voiced right to play stuff like Coheed and Cambria. If you mostly play mellow stuff, it'll suit you well.
Personally, I don't like the amp.. To me, it's wayyy too bright, and the overdriven channel is pretty bad. I played a traynor ycv40wr that I liked better and ended up buying instead 2 years ago, and everytime I play a HRD I really dislike it

as for the pedal, I tried modding my ds-1 and screwed it up, it does sound good when modded, but be careful and take your time, there are a lot of components to switch to do the keeley mod which makes it sound much better than stock (not hard to beat though)
pros: the clean channel is very good for the price

cons: the overdrive channels are about the worst I've heard on a tube amp

for versatility, it wouldn't be my choice at all. Traynor ycv40?

there are mods available for both those pedals, whether you want to try them yourself (bear in mind if you don't know what you're doing you could end up with a dead pedal, lol, but if you're willing to take the risk you might find you enjoy it) or get someone else to do it for you.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Thanks for the info.

I'm assuming the sound a hot rod doesn't sound much better by using pedals?

And then about the Traynor, how well does it do cleans?

I might try and get a friend to do the actual modding of the pedal DS-1. I know a guy who works on circuits a lot.
HRD owner.

Ironically, the cleans aren't quite fendery, if you get my drift. Bright, but not sparkly. I still like it though. The drive channel is hopeless.

It will, however, take pedals very well if you're planning on using at lot of 'em.
Fender Highway 1 Strat
Agile Septor Pro 725

Fender Hot Rod Deluxe
Axe-Fx Ultra

Trust me, I'm a medical student
it basically depends on whether there are any pedals whose drive/distortion tones you like (and also how well the hrd takes pedals, i haven't tried it with pedals), and whether you prefer those pedals to a good amp overdrive/distortion.

from what i can remember of the traynor it still had pretty nice cleans but not quite as nice as the hrd.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?