My friends and I used to use FL studio to make hip-hop/rap-style beats, but the computer that had FL studio on it fried, so we're gonna try and use my Macbook with Garageband to make some beats.

To anyone with experience in both programs: Does Garageband offer the same depth that FL studio does? In FL, you can make all your individual notes and everything. So far in Garageband, I can only find pre-made Apple loops.

I'm sorry if this is a stupid question, but I figured the Pit might have some expertise on this.
He's a freak of nature, but we love him so.

Quote by John Frusciante
Music isn't the Olympics. It's not about showing other people what you can do with a piece of wood in your hands that has strings on, it's about making sounds that are good.
Last edited by Spartan070sarge at Jul 12, 2010,
Ah, dammit. Well, thanks anyway.

Quote by John Frusciante
Music isn't the Olympics. It's not about showing other people what you can do with a piece of wood in your hands that has strings on, it's about making sounds that are good.
you can play the pre-rhythms as slow as you can...
funkyducky

Icing happen when de puck come down, BANG, you know,
before de oder guys, nobody dere, you know.
My arm go comme ça, den de game stop den start up.

Quote by daytripper75
Get To Da Choppa!
garageband is really a joke. You can get individuality but without a step sequencer its adding hours of unnecessary work. fl studio xxl producers edition with all club packs is what you need
"You know it's funny when it rains it pours
...They got money for wars, but can't feed the poor"

Techno artist and rap producer in training

Quote by BelowZero
garageband is really a joke. You can get individuality but without a step sequencer its adding hours of unnecessary work. fl studio xxl producers edition with all club packs is what you need

Read the OP.
funkyducky

Quote by daytripper75
Get To Da Choppa!
Quote by BelowZero

Is there a Mac version?

Quote by John Frusciante
Quote by Spartan070sarge
Is there a Mac version?

No.
funkyducky

Quote by daytripper75
Get To Da Choppa!
Quote by DirtyMakik
No.

Fvck.

And I don't suppose Linux, either?

Quote by John Frusciante
Quote by Holy Katana
Garageband doesn't have a step sequencer, so actually programming beats without a plugin of some sort is impossible.

Yes it does. See: Piano Roll.
Well, if you want to use synths with it. Does it have a sampler?
Quote by Twist of fate
Oh noes, god forbid you get caught making rap music.

Fine...we totally are. That's just generally frowned upon by the Pit.

And I'm thinking I have a spare copy of Windows lying around. I'll Bootcamp that and download FL studio tomorrow.

Quote by John Frusciante
Quote by Spartan070sarge
Fine...we totally are. That's just generally frowned upon by the Pit.

And I'm thinking I have a spare copy of Windows lying around. I'll Bootcamp that and download FL studio tomorrow.

Actually, there are quite a lot of open minds in the pit. We've changed from a few years ago when Rap was the "genre which must not be named". Really, when people talk about how much rap sucks and old music is better, they get flamed now. Freedom of opinion, man! Let your rap flag fly.
Yay! But anyways, about a year ago, my friends and I started a "rap group" (it actually was for the lulz), but people at school actually liked our music. We became really popular (around school and at a couple of other schools, that is), and then kind of had a falling out. We've since reunited, but the computer we used to make beats (with a cracked of FL studio and Audacity) is dead, and the guys think we'll be able to make beats in Garageband (although they don't really understand Garageband). We're supposed to remake some of our beats tomorrow, so I'm frantically trying to figure out how to deliver.

Quote by John Frusciante
Quote by TheReverend724
It's not free, but get Reason

It's pretty much sex for electronic/hip hop producing

Mac compatible?

Quote by John Frusciante
If you want to make something quickly and without the program being a big download get Hammerhead.