So I have my guitars tuned in full step down, but i really enjoy metallica and is one of the main bands i play, I've been thinking about finding someone to jam with or a band later on,

But i was wondering about tuning, I currently play most stuff in DGCFAD but the only band i want to play with a band in higher tunings would be metallica / megadeth, But i was wodnering has anyone done band covers of songs in a lower tuning? Is this common?

Was wondering about the gigging side of the things as well, Playing covers live in a different tuning? Good or bad?,

I prefer DGCFAD because it sounds heavy and meaty esp for metallica stuff,
As long as you change everything, (vocals, bass, other guitar) yeah, it'll be fine.
A lot of bands downtune for live performances anyway so it's not a problem if you do it for a cover. If anything, it will make it more "yours"
You could transpose the whole band, but I'd probably do what Min suggested and get a capo, or just tune up.
Quote by JELIFISH19
A lot of bands downtune for live performances anyway so it's not a problem if you do it for a cover. If anything, it will make it more "yours"

Really?
Quote by AcousticMirror
step 1. capo

actually that's the only step.

Pretty much this.

As for playing in different tunings live, sure, I've done it with two songs (½ step higher on one, ½ step lower on the other one), all we had to do was make sure our keyboardist "tuned" his keyboard down as well.
Quote by Knurlheim
Really?

I know metallica play half step down for live shows now because james voice isn't what it used to be

With transposing isn't that moving the notes around on the neck to make them sound the same?

The way i was thinking would just be playing in the same positions but everything tuned down, I imagine this would be different for drums tho?
Covering a song when you just play it as-is isn't really covering anyway. At least, it's pointless covering. If you're going to cover a song you should change it, regardless of what tuning you normally use or what tuning the song is originally in. In fact changing tuning and the key of the song is the least you can do.
Yes, I know everything. No, I can't play worth a damn.
A child is trafficked and sold for sex slavery every 30 seconds. Support Love146.
Quote by MrFlibble
Covering a song when you just play it as-is isn't really covering anyway. At least, it's pointless covering. If you're going to cover a song you should change it, regardless of what tuning you normally use or what tuning the song is originally in. In fact changing tuning and the key of the song is the least you can do.

+1000000

I ****ing hate when people try to replicate the song note for note... it's like, if I wanted to listen to the original version, I'd just see the original band live, or listen to the ****ing album! When you do the same exact thing, it's no fun, it's not fun at all.

In my opinion, the point of covering a song is to pay tribute to it. You should do that in your own personal way. I think the original artist would rather see another take on it, than someone trying desperately to be them. At least I know I would.

Sorry. Rant over.
Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

My band:
Fractured Instinct
(For fans of Death/Groove/Prog Metal)

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
It doesn't really matter. You can play it a step down and get away with it, or just do the obvious thing and get a capo on the second fret.
Ibanez PGM301
Ibanez GRG170DX
Fender Telecaster MiJ - 1986
Swing T-Through

Ibanez TS9DX
Sovtek Small Stone - c.1985
EHX Big Muff
Kimbara Wah - c.1974
Boss GE-7

Orange Rocker 30 Combo

http://www.myspace.com/paythelay