I just need the wonderful UG community to help me decide.

I am choosing between 1 of 3 amps.

The Carvin Legacy, Carvin MTS 3200, or Carvin x100b.

I need to be able to have really good cleans, but be able to get a solid metal tone (Even if OD pedals might be needed)

When I say solid metal tone, I pretty much mean death metal, nothing too treble-y.

Now, I have heard clips of the Carvin x100b. I think it's cleans sound sexy, but I have only heard the reissue, and not the 80s version that I hear is much better.

The Carvin Legacy I have heard great cleans and nice tight distortion, but I was told I could need an OD pedal.

Lastly, the Carvin MTS 3200 I was told lacks a little bit in the cleans department as opposed to the Legacy, but makes up for it with more gain...

The sound I am going for is basically similar to that of Opeth.

-Red

PS: Ask if you need info about anything else, and if you bring up any other kind of amp model, then please provide some form of clips for me to hear.

PSS: Please don't recommend Bugera.
Squier Strat
Behringer Fuzz
GFT-90
Quote by AcousticMirror
you need a rivera ktre.
what's your budget.

$600 usd at the moment, could be more soon, but I don't want my imagination to wander too much, plus I need to save a bit of money for other things.

Used is fine, I live in Lansing, Mi (Just in case you find any used deals)
Squier Strat
Behringer Fuzz
GFT-90
that's not quite enough. The used carvin's are cheaper right? i've seen heads go for pretty cheap. Imo the sounds you're looking for, death metal chug and great cleans is right up the k tre's alley but it's out of your price range unfortunately. I've played the legacy and I think you'll definitely need a pedal for the od. Haven't tried the others but they are solid amps regardless. So if it meets your needs you should grab one if you find a good price.
Prs se Holcomb is the answer
Quote by AcousticMirror
that's not quite enough. The used carvin's are cheaper right? i've seen heads go for pretty cheap. Imo the sounds you're looking for, death metal chug and great cleans is right up the k tre's alley but it's out of your price range unfortunately. I've played the legacy and I think you'll definitely need a pedal for the od. Haven't tried the others but they are solid amps regardless. So if it meets your needs you should grab one if you find a good price.

Yeah I looked up the Rivera K-tre's price shortly after you suggested it

I have been leaning more towards the Carvin Legacy and I can find them used for pretty cheap.

Any OD pedals you can recommend?
Squier Strat
Behringer Fuzz
GFT-90
honestly Carvin makes some great sounding amps, but Id really look into a peavy 5150 or 6505 used, they have more gain, and with a good tube switch to EL34s will have just the sound your looking for, and ive seen 5150s and 6505s go for 550 to 700 depending on the condition, now the cleans will be bassy as hell but if you get a 6505 the cleans are actually tolerable
Kona Custom(Duncan Loaded)
LTD H300(Duncan Loaded)
LTD H400 (Duncan Loaded) STOCK YESSSS
LTD M202 BB(Duncan Loaded)
80s American Tele(STOCK)
Gibson Faded V
Gibson Les Paul Custom
Mesa Triple Rectifier (EL-34s)
and many more.....
Last edited by Branado at Jul 12, 2010,
Quote by Branado
honestly Carvin makes some great sounding amps, but Id really look into a peavy 5150 or 6505 used, they have more gain, and with a good tube switch to EL34s will have just the sound your looking for, and ive seen 5150s and 6505s go for 550 to 700 depending on the condition, now the cleans will be bassy as hell but if your playing death metal, who really cares about cleans right?

I guess I should stress that good cleans are a must.

Can't say what genre I am shooting for really. Just a lot of off-on, clean-distortion type music.
Squier Strat
Behringer Fuzz
GFT-90
Quote by AcousticMirror
i'd take carvin over the peavey for cleans.

Definitely.

Would a standard Ibanez TS9 be enough of a boost for this amp to get a border line death metal tone? Or do I have to shoot higher?
Squier Strat
Behringer Fuzz
GFT-90
Quote by AxSilentxLine
The Carvin MTS 3200 seems quite capable of Opeth tones I only recently discovered this amp myself and for the price it looks terrific

Both clean and distorted?

The price for this thing used does look amazing as well.

My only concern with the thing is, I have no idea what it sounds like.

I don't feel like dropping 400-500 usd for an amp head when I have no idea what it sounds like.
Squier Strat
Behringer Fuzz
GFT-90
There are some good reviews on YouTube, but yeah if you can't play it in real life it kinda sucks. 500 usd seems expensive as well they usually go for much cheaper (judging on the aus market prices anyway) but that being said I have always been impressed with Carvin amps and I see no reason this would be any different
Quote by Guitarbaddie
Definitely.

Would a standard Ibanez TS9 be enough of a boost for this amp to get a border line death metal tone? Or do I have to shoot higher?

eh maybe I think so? I've got a ts9dx and it's got a fair amount of gain on tap. I mean I've got pedals with more gain but I dunno if they can be actually used for real music.
Prs se Holcomb is the answer
To answer your question, the amp looks fine, i'd never consider an amp if it only displayed stock photos but thats of the amp itself. If you like visual modded amps then i say go for it.
Call me Brent
Quote by m33sta.

People would leave guitars for me in a box on the doorstep with a note "Please look after little Johnie, we just cant cope anymore, all he wants to do is hook up with Marshalls, We thought he would be a fender boy.

Quote by Guitar-KID125
To answer your question, the amp looks fine, i'd never consider an amp if it only displayed stock photos but thats of the amp itself. If you like visual modded amps then i say go for it.

It's not really the goal of mine, going for the looks of the thing that is.

And it is the cheapest thing on eBay at the moment.

Craigslist has nothing.

On the plus side, the orange tolex would match my cab.
Squier Strat
Behringer Fuzz
GFT-90