I've bought so at least 5 expensive cables over the last 2 years, each costing at least $50 but only lasting around 7 or 8 months. Why is this so?

They are Planet Waves cables and are supposed to be durable and long lasting but stop working so easily. I take good care of them.

If anyone has better recommendations for cables or any ideas as to why my cables break so easily post them here.
I own an Ibanez J-Custom

I am Guitarnoob_100. Say hey

PSN: Whiski_Guy
Xbox Live: Chris2194

Steam: Galiathslay
Buy monsters overpriced cables. You buy them ONCE. If anything happens they swap them no questions asked for free at whatever retailer participates.
/rig
It's like when you plug them in, no sound is made unless you fiddle with the actual cable and put it in a specific position, one that's impossible to hold.
I own an Ibanez J-Custom

The whole "long lasting" thing is a sham

My bandmates and I buy Cheap ass cables 20ft for like 10 bucks. And they don't break easily (except when your singer accidentally walks over and steps on one that is connected into the pedal. lol)

It is in the way you wrap them. wrap them in an elliptical fashion like when you wrap a vacuum cleaner chord.

Also dont get sucked into hype about expensive cables, you seriously can barely tell the difference most of the time.
Stop raping the plugs. That is why headphone plugs usually break. I've bought like 2 cables like ~1 year ago, they work perfect.
My gear:
Guitars:
- Ibanez VBT-700
Amplifiers:
- Marshall DSL401
Quote by Axim Bassist

My bandmates and I buy Cheap ass cables 20ft for like 10 bucks. And they don't break easily (except when your singer accidentally walks over and steps on one that is connected into the pedal. lol)

It is in the way you wrap them. wrap them in an elliptical fashion like when you wrap a vacuum cleaner chord.

Also dont get sucked into hype about expensive cables, you seriously can barely tell the difference most of the time.

I can easily tell difference in tone between Live Wire/Monster/Mogami
Guitars:
Ibanez UV777P
Ibanez RGD2127FX
Ibanez RG3120TW
Ibanez RGD7321
Ibanez RG6003FM
Ibanez SA160
Jackson Slatxmg3-7
Amps:
Baron Custom Amps K88
Rivera Knucklehead TRE
Fryette Sig: X
Randall RM4 /w Modded modules
Cabs:
Mesa 4x12
Bogner 4x12
Peavey 4x12(K85s)
Quote by mespinos
Buy monsters overpriced cables. You buy them ONCE. If anything happens they swap them no questions asked for free at whatever retailer participates.

Planet Waves does that too
Quote by guitarnoob_100
It's like when you plug them in, no sound is made unless you fiddle with the actual cable and put it in a specific position, one that's impossible to hold.

that sounds more like your input jack has a loose or broken solder joint.
does this happen w/ every input you plug into?

don't waste your time on musician's gear 10pk patch cables-i've got 2 packs & maybe 4 working cables out of the 20 -brand new out of the wrapper.
Quote by kylendm

+1

Decent cables really do make a difference.
LesPaul
Pedals
OrangeRocker30
My band
PBT Native: Resident Graphics Monkey

Quote by blues n cues

don't waste your time on musician's gear 10pk patch cables-i've got 2 packs & maybe 4 working cables out of the 20 -brand new out of the wrapper.

Then rape them with warranty, its their duty to make sure they're all working.
My gear:
Guitars:
- Ibanez VBT-700
Amplifiers:
- Marshall DSL401
Quote by kylendm

±0

I doubt you can tell between all the good brands. Although it's easy to tell from low quality to high quality cables. To be honest, my Yorkville cable (which is 1/3 the price of a Planet Waves of equal length) sounds just as good. Crappy no name cables don't, of course.
Quote by blues n cues

It's definitely the cables, tried both with my Strat, my Ibby and a friend's guitar. Didn't work properly once.
I own an Ibanez J-Custom

Quote by guitarnoob_100
It's definitely the cables, tried both with my Strat, my Ibby and a friend's guitar. Didn't work properly once.

You tried with different cables? If not then it might be the amp or pedal's jacks.
Quote by guitarnoob_100

How about different amps?
Quote by pwrmax
±0

I doubt you can tell between all the good brands. Although it's easy to tell from low quality to high quality cables. To be honest, my Yorkville cable (which is 1/3 the price of a Planet Waves of equal length) sounds just as good. Crappy no name cables don't, of course.

Not all brands but the ones I listed absolutely distinct to my ears.
Guitars:
Ibanez UV777P
Ibanez RGD2127FX
Ibanez RG3120TW
Ibanez RGD7321
Ibanez RG6003FM
Ibanez SA160
Jackson Slatxmg3-7
Amps:
Baron Custom Amps K88
Rivera Knucklehead TRE
Fryette Sig: X
Randall RM4 /w Modded modules
Cabs:
Mesa 4x12
Bogner 4x12
Peavey 4x12(K85s)
Quote by pwrmax
You tried with different cables? If not then it might be the amp or pedal's jacks.

Yep, switched between my Marshall and my microcube and was using no pedals. The sound is perfectly fine when I use my other two cables.
I own an Ibanez J-Custom

Quote by Axim Bassist

No. Cables definitely make a difference.

I use monsters, and a few locally made braided cables. Both come with lifetime warranties. I've yet to have any problems after years of use. This was after going through cheap and planet waves cables like water.

Get a solid cable with a lifetime warranty. Look at the monster performer 500 line. Then learn how to studio wrap properly, and don't tug on your cables. Thats all there is to it.
Quote by guitarnoob_100
Yep, switched between my Marshall and my microcube and was using no pedals. The sound is perfectly fine when I use my other two cables.

Well, they're Planet Waves. Just go to a retailer and tell them to give you new ones.