Page 1 of 2
Let the flame fest begin!!! I bit the bullet and ordered a CNC router for my workshop. 24" x 53" x 6" travels, dual rack and pinion X axis drive all stepper motor construction... for the low low price of $2700 usd... the electronics should be at my door tonight so expect pics

As much as I enjoy making guitars by hand, i've become rather busy lately with everything and decided to go the automated route for time savings, overall accuracy and - let's face it - it's just a natural evolution of things considering my full time day job ... plus it will eliminate the mundane crap I hate doing like making templates and measuring everything a billion times
Support your local luthier!

Timpson Guitars and TDM Pickups rock ;D

I make guitars and pickups. I also make sh*t that'll blow you the f*k up as well as things that will rebuild you - I have the technology
YES!

To be honest, man, I'd love a CNC router. I'd work my but off designing it in CAD, then whack the button and just watch it go. I'd still do carves and neck shaping by hand, but rough body shapes, pickup routes, and neck pockets would be CNC'd.
the place I ordered from sells it in a build-it-yourself kit... all of the rails are extruded 8020 aluminum and it uses 5 lead acme screws with anti-backlash nuts and a dual motor rack and pinion on the heaviest axis. They have cheaper ones in 2' x 3' configuration for like $2000 usd plus router and mount... basically this will run me upward of about $3000 and the slightly smaller machine would have been about $2300 or so... I liked the idea of the rack and pinoin drive over the single drive screw on the X axis and the larger X travel. I can eventually upgrade a lot of the stuff, too... it's basically all modular so i can extend the Z axis travel if I needed to, I could use ball screws and servos instead of lead screws and steppers... but for right now, i'll stick to the original specs... I think the overall accuracy is like .015" over a 4 foot span... which is 1/64" or .4mm roughly... I can deal with that

I make guitars and pickups. I also make sh*t that'll blow you the f*k up as well as things that will rebuild you - I have the technology
Sounds great man, so you can make templates now...

Quote by dogismycopilot
Absent Mind, words cant express how much i love you. Id bone you, oh yea.

Quote by lumberjack
Absent Mind is, as usual, completely correct.

Quote by littlemurph7976
Id like to make my love for Neil public knowledge as he is a beautiful man
isnt a CNC is just a LITTLE overkill for templetes?

hell, id take a CNC'd body over a hand-built one any day. much less chance of a screw up.
...just dont break anything when you put it together.
Gibson SG Faded
Epi VJ Stack

Quote by Øttər
Whenever I clean my guitars, my family wonders why it smells so good; I say that I exude a fresh citrus scent from hidden orifices.
They stopped asking
Whats the name of the place that you purchased it from?
(\__/)
(='.'=) This is Bunny. Copy and paste bunny into your
(")_(") signature to help him gain world domination
Quote by AngusJimiKeith
isnt a CNC is just a LITTLE overkill for templetes?

hell, id take a CNC'd body over a hand-built one any day. much less chance of a screw up.
...just dont break anything when you put it together.

It's also a cost-effective way of a builder getting a standard series out or something, reducing labour to keep the cost down.
I can make... and in no particular order...

bodies

rough neck/fretboard profiles that only require minimal sanding

multiple-fanned-scale-connected-by-2-outer-scale-length fret (*peers around for perry's attorney*) boards accurate to .001" or so

templates

inlay cavity routes

humbucker rings, bobbins, covers

single coil flatwork

V carve and 3D wooden signs

and probably light cutting in aluminum and brass so I can at least prototype some bridges and such

edit:

I got it from a company called Fine Line Automation

well yeah, i know...

...but we're talking about one guy making guitars here, not an entire factory, and he's certainly not gonna fire himself

EDIT: @mintsauce

EDIT2: @phil: im pretty sure perry got the hint that most of the regulars didnt like him. he hasnt posted a build in ages.
Gibson SG Faded
Epi VJ Stack

Quote by Øttər
Whenever I clean my guitars, my family wonders why it smells so good; I say that I exude a fresh citrus scent from hidden orifices.
They stopped asking
Last edited by AngusJimiKeith at Jul 12, 2010,
I make a living out of CNC programming and CAD design already... I figured I've made enough by hand to know the inner workings of it - and I do thoroughly enjoy it... but if I'm going to make ANY money out of it, I have to automate. I've invested well over $6000 into my shop if I add everything up with the CNC and i've managed to make back some of it so this is just going to be a stepping stone of things to come. I have a lot of big plans for the near future and this machine is going to help me immensely. I plan to someday branch out of the basement and into my own shop

Quote by AngusJimiKeith
well yeah, i know...

...but we're talking about one guy making guitars here, not an entire factory, and he's certainly not gonna fire himself

EDIT: @mintsauce

EDIT2: @phil: im pretty sure perry got the hint that most of the regulars didnt like him. he hasnt posted a build in ages.

I wasn't criticising you, man. I was just adding to what you'd already said.
yeah i know but there is the fairly touchy issue of a s*** job market right now. id hate for anyone to think that i was like "people should lose their jobs for the sake of accuracy".
Gibson SG Faded
Epi VJ Stack

Quote by Øttər
They stopped asking
one guy AND a cnc router

@AJK: I know hes been busy with making his own bridges and his pickups have taken off (despite the fact that he blasted CorduroyEW for hand winding his pickups and now does it himself)... a guy like that doesn't deserve any of the success he's been seeing lately... I tip my hat to his determination but he's still a dick IMO

edit:

@ajk again: yea, this job market is horrible... our state has like 10+%

i know. thank God i want to be an aerospace engineer...its such a niche market that im almost guaranteed a job

im sick of perry. he used to be cool. then he turned into an arrogant dick. we should get the best UG builders together and build an epic guitar from scratch just to send it to him...
Gibson SG Faded
Epi VJ Stack

Quote by Øttər
They stopped asking
No, that's kind of be a waste of money, he'd probably just chop it up anyway. And didn't he win biggest ego 2 years in a row or something like that?

Either way, this CNC thing is cool, and while it is incredibly accurate, there are lots of companies that sell guitars for a lot more because they claim they are"hand built" and imho, I don't think it's all that better. What Phil is doing is cool, cause it has the accuracy of a machined guitar, but the attention to detail of a hand built.

████████████
████████████

RBY CYOA
I think it sounds cool, kinda Caparison-esque.

Pics of brootal machinery is a must.
Quote by t heff
so perry how would u test the tightness of a pocket on a neck through? i mean if it can hold the wings to it then its ****ing amazing without glue
my shop is currently in my basement. I live in new jersey.

box #1 of CNC build pr0nz

I never thought I'd say this...
But...
More Machine Pr0nz!
Please!

What are those monitor cable input things(name?) for?

I've been wanting to build a CNC for a while now... I's jsut, I'm too poor, and... AutoCAD, and the Router program cost waaay to much. I could pirate, but I gave that up, after my computer got ****ed to shit. It was pretty much FUBAR, after I pirated this one movie...
..I was watching my death.
You can find free or relatively cheap cad programs all over the place. Alibre is the first that comes to mind for me. The basic package is like 300 for the full license and its a parametric 3D modeling program. The kicker is the cam software to program the machine... I've been messing with V carve and for. The cost (600) its nit bad. Its limited, yes, but the V bit and vector routing functions are actually very powerful. Plus the sketching environment isn't that bad, either

I only have experience with AutoCAD, and MasterCAM.
I hate MasterCAM though. There's zero hotkeys for accesing stuff.
There's no Ctrl+Z!
My mom bought this CADpro software, but... It sucks. I never figured out how to actually use that one. There was no way of getting a blank field as your page, it always had to be some A4 paper...
Anyone know of one that is actually Free? I think that one would be most beneficial to me The only real modelling software I've used it google sketchup...

████████████
████████████

RBY CYOA
Quote by MonkeyLink07
Anyone know of one that is actually Free? I think that one would be most beneficial to me The only real modelling software I've used it google sketchup...

You can get trials of CADs, but not CAMs. I doubt there are free CAM softwares out there, because these are pretty complex. To turn a drawing, into a bunch of numbers, which a machine will read... It's beautiful.

Just recently, my woodwork teacher wanted me to make my Telecaster on the CNC. It took forever to convince him to not make me do it on their.
I even explained, in the future I wanna be a Luthier. In the end, I just said that I bought all the parts, and they are non-returnable. He finally bought it. My guitar was finished(all the body stuff) in the last 3 classes untill the end of school.
/done ranting

Google Sketchup is actually pretty cool. I model all my projects in it, before actually making them. It takes 2 possible mistakes out of the project,
Wrong Measurements
WTF is this?(It doesn't fit. or looks retarded)
I never found that I could export google sketchup stuff into any solid format that my software would support but it was years ago so it my be better now...

mastercam isn't THAT bad... as far as what I know of it... mastercam was always lacking in functionality for the type of stuff I do (5 axis milling and 9-12 axis turning) that it can't handle. I use Esprit CAM and Open Mind CAM which are pretty badass. Best thing about mastercam is you can pirate it easily... mastercam 9 has been out forever . But FWIW, when you're doing a guitar body, you're just milling out 2.5D pockets and outer profiles unless you're carving a top... which should be pretty simple...

I hope next year in school, they teach us how to do 3D models. For my final project, it would be a guitar neck. And body just for show :p
First half of the year, all we used was MasterCAM..
Then we got to AutoCAD. Then, at the very end, had to use MasterCAM. The difference is way too much between the two.
I don't think google exports very good. I know you can export models, that's about it.

So... When is more machine pr0nz arriving?
Quote by nuthinbuttrubl8
my shop is currently in my basement. I live in new jersey.

box #1 of CNC build pr0nz

Hell yea! I'm from NJ too. Maybe when you finish a prototype I can go ahead and pick it up! Not like you need it, it'll just take up space!

Guitars:
Ibanez UV777P
Ibanez RGD2127FX
Ibanez RG3120TW
Ibanez RGD7321
Ibanez RG6003FM
Ibanez SA160
Jackson Slatxmg3-7
Amps:
Baron Custom Amps K88
Rivera Knucklehead TRE
Fryette Sig: X
Randall RM4 /w Modded modules
Cabs:
Mesa 4x12
Bogner 4x12
Peavey 4x12(K85s)
yea, mastercam doesn't have a good interface to be honest. it's tedious and tough to maneuver to find what you're looking for. I like their pocketing options but that's about it. Autocad has its place, for sure but the real gravy is in 3D modeling when it comes to making parts and assemblies. I suggest you get a copy of Alibre' it's a free trial and allows you to get a feel for a 3D modeling environment. Parametric modeling is the way to go, anyway. In autocad once you draw up something you can't change it without major work... in a parametric environment if you need to change the shape of something, just open the feature, double click the dimension and rebuild

alibre' is also a good primer for other programs such as solidworks, autodesk inventor, solid edge, etc... except pro/e... don't get me started on how much i hate that design environment...

also, check out the vcarve trial program... it's pretty good/simple. you can't post out programs or anything but you can poke around a bit and it's pretty neat to mess with

the pr0nZ will have to wait a little while... i'm waiting for some more stuff to come in... i'm waiting on the power supply, controller program and parts to come in... i think the framework is like 3-4 weeks away still

@kyle: prototype? of what? as a fellow NJ boy I demand you start buying TDM Pickups for use in your guitars... others lack in comparison... mainly because they're from out of state

I've never heard of TDM but I might look..

Well build some prototype bodies and necks and I'll take them since they will just take up space.
Guitars:
Ibanez UV777P
Ibanez RGD2127FX
Ibanez RG3120TW
Ibanez RGD7321
Ibanez RG6003FM
Ibanez SA160
Jackson Slatxmg3-7
Amps:
Baron Custom Amps K88
Rivera Knucklehead TRE
Fryette Sig: X
Randall RM4 /w Modded modules
Cabs:
Mesa 4x12
Bogner 4x12
Peavey 4x12(K85s)
TDM Pickups are my line of custom handwound pickups... boutique quality and service priced competitively with the big boys with a better return/replacement guarantee

prototypes will all be used for trade shows and/or sold at a slightly discounted price... nothing in this world is free, my boy

Do you use a pickup winding machine at all?
I mean, just like a motor to spin the pickup, while you hold the wire, and direct it where to go.
I made my own winding machine.

A drill mounted to a board with a face plate i made out of a couple pieces of laminated poplar held in the chuck by a bolt with a reed switch mounted to the face plate that triggers a pulse through a serial cable on my computer that makes my little counter program work. I have a steel bar with nylon stops with thumb screws I use as a string guide and I typically guide the wire by hand using baby powder or a small piece of soft leather for my grip

i'm looking into something a little less crude

That's amazing. And genius. I have never even used such articulated run-ons in my speaking. Plus your build is gonna be awesome.
Life is about taking risks, as long as the risks aren't too risky.
I'm jealous! I used to have a CNC milling machine, (my step dad willed it to me when he passed away) unfortunately, the electronics and computer were old, slow, & very time consuming to use & program (though I actually taught my step dad how to program it), it was one of the very first models to come with a 3.5" floppy disk & ran on MS DOS but it would take you 8 hours of programming G-code (assuming you didn't make any errors) to do 30 minutes worth of milling... They were more for mass production work back then, you program once, then let the macine run for days, weeks, months turning out parts. It would have cost about $9k to upgrade to a 'modern' computer & electronics more suitable for piece-work production (6 years ago), so I sold it for $12k instead to a machine shop.

But then again, I may only build 3 or 4 guitars in my lifetime, so CNC would be a bit of overkill.
I just got the shipping notification... my CNC is waiting for me at my house! pics later

/teaser

Quote by nuthinbuttrubl8
I just got the shipping notification... my CNC is waiting for me at my house! pics later

/teaser

They should ban posts like these!
Now, I wanna see it. I'd prefer if it was a big surprise post
Dude, I think it's pretty bad ass you bought one. I'd love an easy way to make templates for everything, not that it's excessively difficult otherwise, but still I'd utilize the hell out of it if I had one.
Chain:
Fingers -> Schecter Damien FR -> Fulltone OCD -> ABY Box -> Bugera V22 / Peavey 6505+
I give you...

pr0nZ

Nice! That was a quick 3-4 weeks. How long till you're routing away your own guitars?

████████████
████████████

RBY CYOA
I sent the payment on july 1... it's been 19 days. i'm still waiting on a few pieces of aluminum extrusion and the rack for the X axis. I unpacked and wiped everything down with acetone now i have to open the 3D models the dude sent me and start figuring out what goes where... it's still a new machine for him and he doesn't have an exploded assembly drawing yet...

Page 1 of 2