depends. does your amp have a speaker out? if so is it the same ohm as the input of the cab?
Pedal Board(s)

GAS list:
- Fender Jazzmaster
- Supa Trem
- 2x12 cab
- Mesa Lone Star
- ondes martenot
Why not just continue saving?

I don't recommend a 15 inch speaker cab that's designed for bass for use with a guitar, either...

i only have a summer job, and will only have enough money to spend to get a cabinet, or head. until next summer.

and i play bass? so i wouldn't be using a guitar through it.
what's the amp you want to use as the head that line6 or hartke?
Pedal Board(s)

GAS list:
- Fender Jazzmaster
- Supa Trem
- 2x12 cab
- Mesa Lone Star
- ondes martenot
Quote by Seanstrom
i only have a summer job, and will only have enough money to spend to get a cabinet, or head. until next summer.

and i play bass? so i wouldn't be using a guitar through it.

So save up. Don't buy either if you're not gonna use them. And this is guitar gear and accessories, so just specify next time.
Quote by sg4ever
+15,670,899,554,667,881,999

Quote by CullenT
+15,670,899,554,667,882,000
That was a post of sage advice. Listen to this guy TS.

Quote by AcousticMirror
my parents beat me for a's. I was like wtf and they were like just keeping you on your toes.

RG1570/PRS McCarty
Rebel 30
Quote by theGlitch
what's the amp you want to use as the head that line6 or hartke?

The Line 6 is the one i'd run it through when i'm at home, the hartke for when i'm at my friends house for band practices.
the line 6 is at my house for like room practicing.
but i absolutely hate the tone of the line 6, it has no low end what so ever.

so both?
Quote by forsaknazrael
Why not just continue saving?

I don't recommend a 15 inch speaker cab that's designed for bass for use with a guitar, either...

Ummm... I know I use him for my examples a lot, but Mr. Brent Hinds is knocking at your door to kick your ass. He uses 2 celestion 15" bass speakers in his Fender SF cab.

Also, I believe SRV used Electro-Voice SRO15s which are bass speakers.
Simple answer, on alot of amps they have a 'Speaker Connection' socket on the back. But if you do not have one this means you can't use a cab with it as the amp has been wired with the speaker provided. It is possible to get it professionally wired but its a hassle, hoped it helped :P
IMO, with your current rig, it's not possible.
Pedal Board(s)

GAS list:
- Fender Jazzmaster
- Supa Trem
- 2x12 cab
- Mesa Lone Star
- ondes martenot
Quote by i_am_metalhead
Ummm... I know I use him for my examples a lot, but Mr. Brent Hinds is knocking at your door to kick your ass. He uses 2 celestion 15" bass speakers in his Fender SF cab.

Also, I believe SRV used Electro-Voice SRO15s which are bass speakers.

Yes, but generally speaking, it's not a conventional method.

threadstarter, why bother? Adding a cab isn't going to make your current rig loud enough for gigs.
i think he's looking for a tonal improvement -- unless i misunderstood... either which way he's not going to get it with the gear he has
Pedal Board(s)

GAS list:
- Fender Jazzmaster
- Supa Trem
- 2x12 cab
- Mesa Lone Star
- ondes martenot
yes i am looking for tonal improvement, as well as being louder.
and thanks guys.
i guess i'll just save up and get a bigger louder, head and cabinet together later.