Is It possible to wire my X2N (Which is a coil tap-able pickup) as a humbucker because it is currently sounding like a single coil pickup?
Wait, your X2N (which is a humbucker...?) is sounding like a single coil?

Did you wire it yourself?
Yeah, I'm really confused...
Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

My band:
Fractured Instinct
(For fans of Death/Groove/Prog Metal)

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
Allow me to take over from here, I was the one who had him make the thread because I had yet become a member, Basically what had happened was for my birthday I got an MXR M116 and a Dimarzio X2N, I installed the X2N a week later while I waited to leave for an Opeth Concert. I didn't realize at the time because I was rushed out of my house and whisked away to the City. Come several days later when I finally got a chance to play it I noticed something was off about it... It sounded really quiet first off, and it's lows/mids/highs weren't nearly deserving of the praise it has gotten, this was my first warning light, the second was when I stopped playing along with my favorite Death songs and just listened to the guitar where in it had an ungodly humming coming from the amp, I switched over to the Neck Pickup and it disappeared. After a while I basically forgot about the problem generally relying on using just the Neck or both pickups... Cut to several months later where I send it to Guitar Center for a setup hoping that the massive humming issue would get solved (since the wiring was originally not totally soldered but connected with a network of duct tape) I got it back a little under a week ago and to no avail... My thinking was since it was a pickup with a coil tap function It was some how STUCK on single coil...mode? or that it might be an issue with the wiring, upon examining the wiring setup in regards of this diagram [ http://www.seymourduncan.com/images/support/schematics/2h_1v_1t_3w.jpg ]

I realized the wiring is fine... The bare and green wire go to the Volume knob, the red and white cables are taped together, the black wire is rigged to the pickup control...

I'm basically lost as far the extent of my knowledge on the subject goes. I'd really like to keep this in a DIY kinda way, I've already spend ungodly amounts of money in absolute futility on this...
Happy with what you have to be happy with you have to be hapy with what you have to be happy with what you have.
Do you have a slotted switch, or a toggle switch? The wiring is different depending on what kind of pickup selector you have.

EDIT: also, a couple of things. Tape isn't going to cut it, I don't think. make sure everything is soldered where it should be. Humming sounds like a grounding issue, and it's important that everything is grounded. The bare is going to the back of the volume pot, right?

Also, are you playing in front of a computer or TV? That would make it hum much more than usual.

My band:
Fractured Instinct

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
Last edited by Offworld92 at Jul 15, 2010,
Just a thought here......

You've installed a DiMarzio X2N using a Seymour Duncan wiring diagram....

Different pickup manufacturer's use different colour coding on their wires, could this be the cause of your problem?
Quote by swifty85

Different pickup manufacturer's use different colour coding on their wires, could this be the cause of your problem?

+1

I wanted to say this too, but I didn't... I knew I was forgetting something important, but was having a brain vacation.

Different brands use different wiring diagrams. Is the one you were using for Dimarzio?

My band:
Fractured Instinct

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
Quote by swifty85

Lmao

Email dimarzio right now and request for the wiring diagrams
Switch the wire going from the ground on the volume pot to the selector and the wire from selector switch to ground on the volume pot and listen to how that sounds.
Last edited by sstony at Jul 15, 2010,
an x2n should never ever ever ever ever by any means sound like a single coil
definitely a wiring issue
hot wire to switch, optional wires together and taped off if you don't wanna do any special wiring, and ground wires to pots
Quote by swifty85

Bingo.

Red is the output
Black is the output from the north coil.

The reason it sounds like a single coil is because the way you've wired it, it IS a single coil - the south coil is currently bypassed

swap the red and black wires round.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
Last edited by steven seagull at Jul 15, 2010,
Quote by steven seagull
Bingo.

Red is the output
Black is the output from the north coil.

The reason it sounds like a single coil is because the way you've wired it, it IS a single coil - the south coil is currently bypassed

swap the red and black wires round.

So let me get this right, the black and white cables should be taped together, and the red cable should be wired to the Pickup selector?
Happy with what you have to be happy with you have to be hapy with what you have to be happy with what you have.
Quote by SymbolicDeath
So let me get this right, the black and white cables should be SOLDERED together and taped off, and the red cable should be wired to the Pickup selector?

Yes, red is the output.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
Quote by steven seagull
Yes, red is the output.

well shit, Ultimate Guitar might have more lasting power than I thought it would.
Quote by SymbolicDeath
well shit, Ultimate Guitar might have more lasting power than I thought it would.

Never underestimate the power of Ultimate Guitar!