I'am just wondering, playing guitar today and realised I've gotten abit better then a week ago and I've started to pick out notes that go well when I "jam".
I thought though, do I really need lessons down the line to get to a next step in my playing?
I mean I'm having some troubles with getting licks and creating licks to play myself and I've been playing for about 5 years now and I've only started to learn solos in past year or so. I'm just wondering do I need a teacher to get to a next step in my playing or could I do it with hours and hours of practise?
How did it happen for you guys?
I took lessons for two years when I had two years experience before, and I basically covered riffs, chords, and solos. After that I got into a comfortable niche where I didn't really need lessons, I could just teach myself and improve. I think if you have to have lessons, focus on music theory and that will help with creating licks. I think once you have learned enough skills on guitar, you have the tools to continue without the guidance of lessons
I suppose the skills I haven't got from reading this is my music theory probably isn't as good as I thought it was lol So thats what I could work on
Just keep playing, there really isn't much more to do. Everyone has a different approach to learning this art that, like all other arts, is so subjective that it's unbelievable. Push yourself outside of your comfort zone, even if it sounds blah or sloppy, and make sure to counter the blah and sloppy experimentation with some technique perfection and theory.
"If you're looking for me,
you better check under the sea,
because that's where you'll find me..."
Okay, thanks for the advice. I will give it a go for a month or 2 and see where I'm at then.
Quote by Stuart90
Okay, thanks for the advice. I will give it a go for a month or 2 and see where I'm at then.

If I where you I would stop looking for progress. Thats what I did this last winter and I have never felt happier about my playing. Don't worry, you're getting better, just relax and have some fun. Normally we have pretty long lives, no need to ditch music in a year or two cause you feel burnt out.
"If you're looking for me,
you better check under the sea,
because that's where you'll find me..."
I've found myself doing that before, where I've just played and not set any goals and realised I've gotten better. I suppose I will keep doing what I'm doing at moment then and just accept the fact it all takes time lol
Guitar is one of the most humbling things I've tried to learn. It's definitely not what I'm used to, with all that needs to be practiced constantly, and perfected not only in your mind but in your body (muscles). It has also shown me how even though you don't see gains in day to day playing, if you take a look at the entire span of your playing you can really see the big jumps in ability. The funniest part is even though you're liek holy crap I am doing way better than when I started, it still gives you that humbling feeling because we are never satisfied with what we play and always want it to sound better or to learn more.
Well for instance myself, Ive been playing "solidly" for a year. Not on the level of some guys on here practicing daily for hours on end - I work 50 hours a week, so I dont have such a luxury.

Though in a year I feel I've taught myself a great chunk of theory, and my skills have improved quite a bit, I can almost play the first solo in orion at full speed (the damn 6 sixteenths, triplet, 3 sixteenths, 3 32nds gets me, the timing is hard at full speed), and I have been working on some basic sweeping, Alaska intro, intro to the damnation game by symphony x etc. Though I know I am a LONG way from being able to play these at anywhere near fullspeed.

Anyway, while I'm sure Ive learned a lot more than a lot of people, and while Im sure I will continue to improve on my own, I do want to start taking lessons sometime soon. Maybe just an hour every 2 weeks or something, just to make sure I am practicing proper technique, and to also learn and be able to jam out with someone.

Lessons can do you no harm brother, just start taking them when you feel, or whenever you decide that youre committed to guitar.

Are you telling me theyre out of dragons?
They never had dragons..
Who didnt?
The world..
GET THIS GUY OUT OF HERE, FIND ME A DRAGON
Quote by Exodus04
Guitar is one of the most humbling things I've tried to learn. It's definitely not what I'm used to, with all that needs to be practiced constantly, and perfected not only in your mind but in your body (muscles). It has also shown me how even though you don't see gains in day to day playing, if you take a look at the entire span of your playing you can really see the big jumps in ability. The funniest part is even though you're liek holy crap I am doing way better than when I started, it still gives you that humbling feeling because we are never satisfied with what we play and always want it to sound better or to learn more.

A lot of what you speak about guitar has a lot of parallels and truisms to real life. Trying to learn guitar has taught me a lot about life itself, and helps fuel me.

Are you telling me theyre out of dragons?
They never had dragons..
Who didnt?
The world..
GET THIS GUY OUT OF HERE, FIND ME A DRAGON