This is probably a dumb question, but is there a major difference in the tone of the ac15c1 and the ac30c2? I know the ac30 has more features, but do they sound alike?
yes, i have had both. i got rid of my ac15 and upgraded to an ac30 because it wasn't loud enough to clear my drummer. you can get the same tones out of both amps though.
There's something living in these lines.
Yes but the ac30 will last you all the way to gigging. You may never need to buy another amp in your life.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
You have alot more headroom with the AC30 and plus it has an effects loop if your picky about that kind of thing.
Quote by Dunning~Kruger
Yes I was rude, and I was aggressive and I was offending a large group of people. But I was civlized about it.

Taylor 414CE
if your talking about the cc's they do. they are both based on the top boost circuit.
the heritage and the top boost 30 sound nothing alike.

though i like ze monsta.
so...EXPLAIN YOURSELF clappityclapclap
Jumping on dat gear sig train.
PRS Hollowbody II / BKP Warpigs
Strandberg OS6T / BKP Aftermath
Strandberg OS7 / Lace Poopsticks
Skervesen Raptor 7FF / BKP Warpigs
Skervesen Raptor 6 NTB / BKP Juggernauts
Hapas Sludge 7 FF / Hapas Leviathan
Anderson Baritom / Motorcity Nuke BKP Sinner Anderson H2+
Warmoth Baritone / BKP Piledriver
Ibanez Rg2120x / BKP Nailbomb

Blackstar ID:Core Beam
There shouldn't be a major tone difference except in terms of how a 212 sounds versus a 112 and how a 15w sounds versus 30w... more head room etc

If you're a bedroom player I'd def go for an AC15...
"Experience is not what happens to you. It is what you do with what happens to you." - Aldous Huxley
^That would be true if it were the same amp with a larger power section, but the AC15 and AC30 sound quite different because there are more differences between them than just "more watts".
I haven't played the custom series, only a couple of vintage AC30s (one 60s TB and one TBR that I think must have been after 1978, coz it had spring verb, but I aint all that clued up) and an AC15cc1, but the AC30s were inexplicably better (I played them for about 10 hours total, and the AC15 for only 30mins or so). The AC30s obviously have more headroom, which is important for those of us who liek teh pedulz. I think AC15s are tighter sounding and more compressed, but this might come down to me playing two very broken in AC30s with 212s for a long time in a nice big rehearsel space with good acoustics. The AC15 was fairly smooth and probably sounded better when quieter (but totally out classed when cranked), but the AC30 was raunchier, which I prefer.

I tells ya this, a cranked AC30 and Silverface Twin Reverb in stereo is true tone heaven.

Quote by Roc8995
^That would be true if it were the same amp with a larger power section, but the AC15 and AC30 sound quite different because there are more differences between them than just "more watts".

Quite right, sir.
Last edited by ze monsta at Jul 12, 2010,
Quote by AcousticMirror
if your talking about the cc's they do. they are both based on the top boost circuit.
the heritage and the top boost 30 sound nothing alike.

+1 the newer CC stuff will sound similar because they are based on the same thing, and in this case the AC15 would sound the same as the 30 but with less headroom, different speaker configuration, etc. If you're looking at older versions or some of the other current lines then there will be a noticeable difference, as ze monsta and others have said
Board:
Pitchblack - Fulltone Octafuzz - Hardwire OD - Blakemore Effects Deus Ex Machina - MXR Micro Chorus - Diamond Memory Lane Jr - EHX SMMH - Neunaber Wet