Page 1 of 2
Hey guys,

Earlier this year we held a cover contest where people had a few weeks to learn and record a certain song which was then voted on by the pit. There were three tiers, Easy, Intermediate, Hard songs.

I'd like to hold this again because it was a ton of fun and its really good for all of our playing. Covers can be just guitar, bass, or whole band(yes including vox)

Post if you want in along with the song and tier you want to do. Sign-ups will last a few days and then we'll figure out when the recordings are due.

EASY:

INTERMEDIATE:
benonbass1: Sir Duke - Stevie Wonder
guitarscreams: Avenged Sevenfold - afterlife
Drift king77: Hourglass - Lamb of God
Shinami: Snow - RHCP
FlyinHigh26: Say it Right-Nelly Furtado ft. Timbaland.
SquierLolz: Omerta - Lamb of God

HARD:
Pinto111: Medicate Me - Dream Theater
awesomo41894: Yngwie Malmsteen - Blitzkrieg
guitar12: Guthrie Govan - Fives
The Kush: Enigmatic Mission - Pagan's Mind
Last edited by Pinto111 at Jul 13, 2010,
Quote by Pinto111
Earlier this year we held a cover contest where people had a few weeks to learn and record a certain song which was then voted on by the pit.

Uh... hasn't that been happening every month, including this month?
Quote by uk.mace
Yup. Search for "Calling all the Pit's guitar players".

Exactly, that's what I was referring to.
intermidiate: Avenged Sevenfold - afterlife
Quote by MarijuanaIsGood
if the elephant on the left is green, and the spider on the right is blue, what is in the middle and WHAT THE FUCK COLOR IS IT??

Quote by ThatGuy153à
Yo stop tripping, its just a Purple Bag'O'Green

i dont wanna melt in 2030
Quote by guitar12
Easy: Searchbar

Don't be a dick. This is different because it can be any instrument. kthnxbai
hello
Quote by Pinto111
Indeed, this is for people who dont solely do guitar too

I guarantee almost every cover will be on guitar.
...Stapling helium to penguins since 1949.
Hard: Guthrie Govan - Fives
Last edited by guitar12 at Jul 12, 2010,
Oh I want to cover vox and guitar for "Bang Bang My baby shoot me down" by Nancy Sinatra. I'm guessing it's under easy, but I think it might be intermediate. Appreciate if I got a second opinion. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T5Xl0Qry-hA

Edit: Easy- "Bang bang" by Nancy Sinatra
2010's Sexiest Female Uger

Last edited by FreakAddiction at Jul 12, 2010,
Could a guy do a piano and vocal cover.
VENUSIAN
FB SC BC TW
Patterns In The Ivy present ethnicity on an intriguing and dedicated level. ~Ambient Exotica
A mesmeric melange of yearning voice, delicate piano and carefully chosen samples. ~Lost Voices
What are the rules?
Quote by musicjunkie207
The time I fell on my face on a trampoline and cracked my neck, then proceded to run around the yard in a blind panic screaming "I hope I'm not paralyzed! OH GOD I THINK I'M PARALYZED!"

Quote by slash4114
What are the rules?

This. Is the idea to get as close to the original recording as possible, or just to play a 'cover song'?
Do they have to be true to the original?
Begin again in the night, let's sway again tonight.
Your arm on my shoulder, your cheek against mine.
Where can we go, when will we find that, we know.
Quote by UntilISleep
...stealing my geanes contests and shit.

Fixed
Anyway I might attempt it if I have time.

So sign me up on easy I guess?

RHCP - Snow
1 entry limit per person?
Quote by Pharoah
Can God create a hot dog so hot even he couldn't eat it?

Lyke omg D@ @p0OcpLpSYe.
Quote by UntilISleep
...stealing my contests and shit.

Not stealing haha but providing a spin-off to further glorify the excellence of your contest

And yes, one entry per person plz

EDIT:
any kind of cover is welcome, songs will not be judged based on accuracy, but on musicianship
Backing track are allowed if for example you dont have a drum set on hand, but you must be upfront about backing tracks used when submitting your recordings.
Last edited by Pinto111 at Jul 12, 2010,
Wait, does it have to be just an audio recording, or is a video okay? Today I just learned Enigmatic Mission by Pagan's Mind and recorded a video of me playing it with the original track in the background, and I'm uploading it to Youtube right now. Would that be acceptable for this contest? (It's really obvious what's me and what's the original song, I'm loud enough to completely drown out the original guitar track )

If that's not against the rules or anything, then I'll join. Enigmatic Mission by Pagan's Mind. I think it would be Advanced tier - it's not Dream Theater or Between the Buried and Me, but it's still got some relatively complicated parts. If people disagree and think it should be intermediate, then just put me there instead.

And do I get bonus points for figuring it out by ear all by myself? There's no tabs for this song anywhere on the internet, it was a REAL pain
Intermediate - Hourglass - Lamb of God.

Depends on whether i can fit time in with end of year tests and get access to a webcam or some other recording medium.
Are You a PROG-HEAD? I am.

DAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAR

I play a Schecter

Quote by Iriathz
I love you.
Have all my life's future earnings.

Quote by Lt. Shinysides
Just how loose is your urethra?

Quote by shavorules42
I have a 6 inch gauge in it, so I can cockdock so I'd say loose enough.
Not really.
Quote by Drift king77
Intermediate - Hourglass - Lamb of God.

Depends on whether i can fit time in with end of year tests and get access to a webcam or some other recording medium.

End of year tests?? Dude, it's July! I had my finals like a month ago, and I thought we were later than most people... where do you go to school?
Quote by The Kush
End of year tests?? Dude, it's July! I had my finals like a month ago, and I thought we were later than most people... where do you go to school?

Haha, Australia. We have preparation during the year, and then our third term we have testing. Today's the first day of term 3, and i have 3 assignments, and 2 exams

DAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAR

I play a Schecter

Quote by Iriathz
I love you.

Quote by Lt. Shinysides

Quote by shavorules42
Not really.
Quote by AngelOfHatred
I'd say Snow is more intermediate than easy.

I fully concur
Quote by Pharoah
Can God create a hot dog so hot even he couldn't eat it?

Lyke omg D@ @p0OcpLpSYe.
Quote by Drift king77
Haha, Australia. We have preparation during the year, and then our third term we have testing. Today's the first day of term 3, and i have 3 assignments, and 2 exams

Christ dude... I'm so deep in summer mode I can't even comprehend tests of any kind
^Judge for yourself, I got it up on Youtube.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X_wnRWtnhL4

I might do just an audio version later with midi programmed drums and my own vocals, bass and keyboard.
Count me in!

My song choice:

Say it Right-Nelly Furtado ft. Timbaland.

Tier: Intermediate
I'll play it and tell you what it is later.
-Miles Davis
Quote by The Kush
Christ dude... I'm so deep in summer mode I can't even comprehend tests of any kind

Haha, *shakes fist* I wish we had Summer Holidays. We get like 8 weeks off, for Christmas -.-

DAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAR

I play a Schecter

Quote by Iriathz
I love you.

Quote by Lt. Shinysides

Quote by shavorules42
Not really.
Erh, i was wondering, i might want to change my song choice to something by Meshuggah, i feel as though i'm wasting my eight string, playing six string songs on it. I'm not sure yet though :S

DAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAR

I play a Schecter

Quote by Iriathz
I love you.

Quote by Lt. Shinysides

Quote by shavorules42
Not really.
Page 1 of 2