This has got to be the best song I've written, and the best sounding, I think the tone is Godly, so I'm extremely happy. The song has two moods, sad, and pissed, it's supposed to anyway.

I would like to know what ya'll think about it, I need to get someone to sing lyrics to it.

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/8920099/All%20My%20Pain.mp3

I'll return the favor if you ask.
Excellent production quality, first off. Hats off to you there; the song sounds MASSIVE! Definately needs lyrics and vocals though. The instrumentation is perfect for an industrial-ish rock song. I really like all the riffage in the backround, and the power of the attack on the guitars. There's alot of cool stuff in this. Once you have vocals, hit me up with the finished product; I'm curious to see what it'll sound like!
-------

"So if 'con' is the opposite of 'pro', then isn't 'congress' the opposite of 'progress'?"
- John Stewart, Daily Show
Ethan,
Sounds very good & I like the melodies that are happening! It is good you double-tracked the rhythm guitar. I would say you're playing is tight 95% of the time. At times, I think the lead guitar and the drums (which both sound quite good) could be louder. If there is electric bass, I can't hear it. You are off to a very good start to a complete song. Please review my music here:

https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1332089
Need to strip the mix down and start over. Leads don't have enough highs, the drums don't have any processing on them either. It sounds very low-fi. Cohesively mixed, but low-fi.
I'm not a fan of the metronome thing at the beginning, I think if you're going to do that, have it slowly fade out when the guitar comes in. Drums sound good. Guitars aren't in sync at parts though, but not too bad. I think the guitar tone could be brighter, but that's preference. I like to have my guitars highpassed pretty high (up to 125 Hz at times) and then let the bass take up the low end. I think vocals would really help this song out where it starts to get a little repetitive. Had a nice flow though, good job.

https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1336478
Quote by HCL
Need to strip the mix down and start over. Leads don't have enough highs, the drums don't have any processing on them either. It sounds very low-fi. Cohesively mixed, but low-fi.

Well, I don't doubt the low fi thing, but considering how I record, (through the mic in on my soundcard) I'm sure you could agree that it's kinda good? Right?

This is what I got so far from ya'll, leads need to sit higher in the mix, the metronome thing is annoying, need to rerecord the lead, and retrack the rhythm guitars so they are 100% tight.

Thank you guys for the feedback, I know what I'll be doing tomorrow.

EDIT: Sam, I high pass mine at 250hz
Last edited by ethan_hanus at Jul 12, 2010,
Quote by ethan_hanus
Well, I don't doubt the low fi thing, but considering how I record, (through the mic in on my soundcard) I'm sure you could agree that it's kinda good? Right?

This is what I got so far from ya'll, leads need to sit higher in the mix, the metronome thing is annoying, need to rerecord the lead, and retrack the rhythm guitars so they are 100% tight.

Thank you guys for the feedback, I know what I'll be doing tomorrow.

EDIT: Sam, I high pass mine at 250hz

I did this earlier today with identical equipment (a friend's band I was recording):

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/1926148/double%20sided%20butt%20sex.mp3

That is guitar & bass -> little shitty red mic socket and then into free amp/cab sims. Equipment is no excuse.
Quote by HCL
I did this earlier today with identical equipment (a friend's band I was recording):

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/1926148/double%20sided%20butt%20sex.mp3

That is guitar & bass -> little shitty red mic socket and then into free amp/cab sims. Equipment is no excuse.

Ok, let me be more precise, since your obviously a sound engineer, Valveking preamp into a 1/4" female to 1/8" male adapter into mic in on sound card, applied Catharsis Studio's(Ryan) impulses using Lecab, NCL EQ to level out the mix, Real EQ to EQ guitars, double tracked guitars, pan each separate track hard left and hard right, high passed at 250hz and low passed at 11500hz, bass is my guitar played like a bass the pitch shifted, low passed at 7500hz, drum track is a professional track I got from a web site, they cost $125 a piece, but they gave a few away for free, this is one of them, they are real drums mixed to professional standards.

On the main mix I have the NCL EQ again, and a Master Limiter to make the mix louder without it clipping.

My guitar is a Squier Affinity Strat with Barenuckle Painkiller in the bridge, graphtech Teflon nut and saddles, brass trem block, All Parts mini tuners, D'Addario EXP Jazz gauge strings.

The only pedal I used was a Ibanez TS9 as a clean boost to cut the lows on my Valveking.

So where am I going wrong with this? I know it's mixed properly, could be mixed better, but I'm not a professional. What should I do to make it better?
Quote by ethan_hanus
Ok, let me be more precise, since your obviously a sound engineer

Dude I'm a peniless 19 year old. I went to school to do performing music, I've never had a sound recording lesson in my life. I'm completely self taught from reading online and recording on a £0 budget. 'Fallout Studios' is a half joke. My 'studio' is a mediocre business edition vista machine from HP without even a real soundcard. I've only been recording for about 9 months in my spare time.

My mixing station:

Valveking preamp into a 1/4" female to 1/8" male adapter into mic in on sound card, applied Catharsis Studio's(Ryan) impulses using Lecab, NCL EQ to level out the mix, Real EQ to EQ guitars, double tracked guitars, pan each separate track hard left and hard right, high passed at 250hz and low passed at 11500hz, bass is my guitar played like a bass the pitch shifted, low passed at 7500hz, drum track is a professional track I got from a web site, they cost $125 a piece, but they gave a few away for free, this is one of them, they are real drums mixed to professional standards.

See the pitchshifted thing doesn't work. I don't own a bass so I feel your pain - and it hurts, I know. Bass adds SO much to a recording. Try and track one down man. Also I would get into ampsims, I use the catharsis impulses too, you can hear them on that sample.

On the main mix I have the NCL EQ again, and a Master Limiter to make the mix louder without it clipping.

Try using the maximiser plugin on the mastering chain. Don't overdo it.

My guitar is a Squier Affinity Strat with Barenuckle Painkiller in the bridge, graphtech Teflon nut and saddles, brass trem block, All Parts mini tuners, D'Addario EXP Jazz gauge strings.

Perfect setup.

The only pedal I used was a Ibanez TS9 as a clean boost to cut the lows on my Valveking.

Good, lots of people miss this vital step.

So where am I going wrong with this? I know it's mixed properly, could be mixed better, but I'm not a professional. What should I do to make it better?

I would start by comparing your mix to others as you go, noting the differences. Bring in an mp3 to your DAW, turn it down as it will have been mastered, and go for it. Try and find a song where you hear as many elements as you can solo'd, so you can hear how the individual pieces fit together.
Last edited by HCL at Jul 12, 2010,