I was looking at some random bass videos today at youtube and, while watching some Ricks, I found this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PjwHFHDz_Hg

And woah, at least in that vid they sound pretty similar. However I didn't like the look of the Peavey too much, but then I found this

And I thought it looked AMAZING. It kinda looks like an SG, but with more bass-y aesthetic features, like a hybrid. And I've always loved the look of Angus Young's SG, but I've never really liked an SG bass that much.

So my questions are: How good is the sound you can get out of it? Is it tone-versatile? Around what price could I get one? And WHERE could I get one, if possible a red one like the pic?

Thank you very much.
Quote by Silveroon009
It kinda looks like an SG.

Wat.

I've never had the chance to play one in person but I hear loads of great things, the only bad thing I have heard is the weight. You can't get them new any more because they were only made for a few years in the late 70s and early 80s but you can easily find second hand ones on eBay or Basschat marketplace. They usually go for about £200-£350.
They go for around $300 on ebay all the time. They seem to be fairly common on craigslist as well. They definitely seem to be rather underrated for what they are, but I guess they couldn't be had for so little if they weren't.

My friend is planning on replacing his broken bass with one of these. I think they sound pretty sick. From what I understand about their pickups, they have phase switches and coil taps, so I'd imagine they're pretty versatile. AND, depending on whether they're painted or not, will determine whether they're made of Ash or Poplar. (there may be a 3rd body wood I'm not thinking of, but I've definitely heard of them being made of Ash and Poplar)
Quote by Spaz91
You can't get them new any more because they were only made for a few years in the late 70s and early 80s.

Really??...

And yeah I can't put my finger on what is it that reminds me of the SG but it kinda does.
Quote by Silveroon009
Really??...

And yeah I can't put my finger on what is it that reminds me of the SG but it kinda does.

Its the finish and knob placement. Never seen one in that finish though, only seen plain, black white and sunburst.
Quote by Spaz91
Its the finish and knob placement. Never seen one in that finish though, only seen plain, black white and sunburst.

I can see the similarity in that photo to an SG. In that particular photograph the horns appear to be almost equal symmetrical, which is also similar to an SG. I think that's just the angle though.
T-40's are great, solid basses. You can find them all over the place used, they're fairly common. I've seen a few red ones pop up here and there, but you're more likely to come across plain (natural) ones.
Composite Aficionado

Spector and Markbass
Those are, in all honesty, some of the best basses ever produced, barring boutique brands. The build quality on them is not often matched, even by Fender, which was the main competition for those.
Nope, no sig here.
Could you guys please give me a list of places and websites where I could look for it? I seriously LOVE this bass, I'm willing to search for it.

And if possible find a red one with black pickguard just like the one in the picture...
Better jump on one soon.

In the last year-and-a-half T-40s have become SUPER saught after and are now (nice ones) regularly sold in the $400+ range.

I am a HUGE MiA Peavey fan. Though, honestly the T-40 isn't my fave... in the T series i like my T-20 and T-45 more than the T-40. I also love the early 80s Furys, Patriots and Foundations.

Since you will be buying these things used, here's what to look out for:

- The red/midnight wine is a rarer color... so be prepared to pay extra if you want that specific combo. Natural is by far the most common, followed by Black, sienna burst, and white. The midnight wine would follow the white. All have black pick guards (but there are tons of replacements on ebay for $36).
- Original vol/tone knobs, tuners, and 'Peavey' neck plates are VERY saught after. If your bass doesnt have these original pieces (and you want them), be prepared to get screwed on Ebay. Knobs are $30-$40 for 2 (a T-40 has 4 of these). Tuners are ~$100. Peavey plates are about $75+. Also, it BETTER come with an original bridge ($75 if not). Even the truss rod cover can go for $30+.
-The T series basses have a terrible perpencity to get neck cracks around the 15th fret. LOOK FOR THAT!
-They ARE heavy. Seriously, it sounds like a woosie excuse, but make sure you can shoulder a really heavy bass for a longer gig.
-Try and get one with an original hard shell case. They have strange dimensions and nothing out right now will fit them.

Assuming everything is copasetic though, T-40s are indeed awesome and are a real 'chameleon bass' that you can get Ric, Jazz, and Stingray tones plus more, all while having its own flare.

For buying one:
-Ebay
-Craigslist
-www.talkbass.com
-www.gbase.com
-google search "t-40 for sale" or something

Personally, the TalkBass classifieds are THE best. You may pay more than you would off of CL, but the quality is guarantied to be awesome (unless noted otherwise).

Good luck!
Last edited by Din of Win at Jul 13, 2010,
Hmm if it really is that rare to find a red one, would a custom painted natural one look good?
Quote by Silveroon009
Hmm if it really is that rare to find a red one, would a custom painted natural one look good?

I said rare-ER, not really RARE.

The extra you'd spend on one would still be less than geting a natural one refinished. You might just need to wait longer for one to pop up. the waiting would be the big caveat.
OK, but I still wanna know, if I sent it to refinish would it look like the one in the picture or would it look bad?

I've never seen a refinished bass actually, so pics would help...
Quote by Silveroon009
OK, but I still wanna know, if I sent it to refinish would it look like the one in the picture or would it look bad?

I've never seen a refinished bass actually, so pics would help...

You can get one professionally done and it'd look JUST like it. But you'd be spending $$$ to get it done. You may also be able to email Peavey to get an EXACT sample of the paint used to make it identical. You could hack it and do a DIY job. Just look up "bass refinishing" or "how to paint a bass" online. It's a tricky job that requires you to strip the existing finish and take off EVERYTHING (neck, pick guard, bridge, knobs, wiring etc). So if you want to refinish a natural T40, i'd get a pro to do it to make it look as good as possible.

As far as prices go, check this site ( http://simscustomshop.com/subsitefive/page5.html ). This is industry standard for a good refin job. $225 for solid paint, $75 for it being red, $25 for being a bass, i'm not sure, but if it is a custom color, that's potentially another $100 or so.

One of the possible pluses to a refin on a natural is that you'd probably have a bass with better wood grain. Most production bass companies use the best grain woods on the natural basses because you ONLY see the grain. Colored basses often have flawed grains because you don't see it. However, this really doesn't noticably effect the tone. It's just an interesting factoid.

I'd still reccomend waiting for an original one to pop up. Since you'd probably pay more than double to refin a natural one...
I played one before, and it was great. I liked it better than the MIM fender p that I played at the time. Thats not saying much, though. Im not in love with fenders to begin with.
...it was bright as the sun, but with ten times the heat
I have a peavey t-40.
Truly amazing.I have never played anything like it.
I play with a combination of a big muff and a boss DS-2.
The neck Humbucker running through the dist into a driven all tube amp...truly unique.
As for the weight, after a weekend of practice,I'm sitting down whilst playing.
My live style is VERY aggresive.I throw myself around the stage,and often the bass flies around and hits things.NEver done any damage to it.It did do my back in once,so it more likely to damage you.
Seagulls,the chicken of the ocean.

Originally posted by Gunpowder:
Everyone just jumps on the bandwagon and gives the same advice in these situations. You know what? I'm going to be different. Call the firemen.
Thanks everybody, just one more question.

I've noticed how much people go around mentioning basses and saying that they played "fast". Why exactly is that? What makes a bass "play fast"?? Is it a thnner neck or something? Does the Peavey T-40 have that characteristic ("playing fast", not exactly a thinner neck)??
I'm really digging the T-40 almost about even with the Ric despite them weighing in at 35lbs. Shame they're discontinued.
My Rig:

-Peavey T-40
-Fender Bassman 250/210
-Boss Bass Overdrive ODB-3

"Rock and Roll is the only religion that will never let you down!" - Lemmy Kilmister