Hey fellow UGers, when I practice a lick I always practice a lick on the clean channel until it isn't sloppy. But when I try to play the same lick after I mastered it with distortion, it always sounds sloppy. Do you think its me or could it just be my amp?
Maybe your reverb is on too? Because I know that when I play something I learned on acoustic and I dial in too much reverb on the amp, it sounds mushy...
When you play with clean its hard to hear little noises and flaws
in what you are playing, Atleast that's how it is for me. Just practice with the distortion so you can hear every little flaw cause it will amplify it.
Your gain might be too high. Your favorite music and current gear is not complete in your profile, so I'm not really sure what I'm looking at, but you should always use as little preamp gain possible to achieve the desired tone. Turn that thang down and attack those strings!
"If you're looking for me,
you better check under the sea,
because that's where you'll find me..."
It's you, you need to learn to mute properly. Distortion emphasizes ringing strings and harmonics much more than the clean channel does, if you intend to play with distortion you need to practise with distortion (at least until you learn to mute properly).
Speed is a by-product of shut the fuck up.
Quote by zincabopataurio
It's most likely you, learn how to mute unwanted strings:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kIEnzboW0Hc

I gave that video a watch, and tbh I always do what he says to do in that video so idk, guess I just gotta practice with distortion more.
Quote by schecter ftw
I gave that video a watch, and tbh I always do what he says to do in that video so idk, guess I just gotta practice with distortion more.

Could you maybe make a short video clip so we could see where the problem is?
Quote by zincabopataurio
Could you maybe make a short video clip so we could see where the problem is?

I would but I have no access to a camera at this point. I believe it is just a combination of my bad tone and me not practicing with distortion.