A bit of background-- I am just getting back into guitar after a long hiatus. Years ago I used a few solid-state beginners amps (which were terrible), then a few tube amps-- a customized Fender Twin and a Marshall half-stack (cannot remember the exact model head). By that point in time, I wasn't playing with a band anymore, and was living in apartments-- and the Marshall only sounded decent at a deafening level, so I stopped using it. Gradually I sold off most of my gear.

I have since moved to Europe, where everything is insanely expensive (you have no clue how dirt cheap everything is at Guitar Center). Initially, I was looking at a Line 6 Spider or Roland Cube-- 30W, but the Peavey Vypyr looks like it is getting relatively good reviews. Back in the day, I wouldn't want to be on stage with anything that said Peavey on it--- but it looks like the world has changed, and I don't see myself on stage anytime soon anyway.

I have a general interest in "re-learning" guitar-- am very open about musical styles-- so I want a variety of tones: everything from jazz fusion, to blues, to metal. Also, I am looking for decent tones at lower volume levels. My general budget is $300 - 500 USD. I am just down to one guitar at the moment with EMG 81/85s. It seems a bit absurd to use them with something like a Vypyr.... but such is life.

A few thoughts-- I don't necessarily need a two channel amp, since it isn't for performing. In my experience, a "tube pre-amp" design is just a marketing gimmick (no true discernible benefits). A real tube amp generally won't sound that great at low levels.

A few questions--- are the cheap Fender (or any other brand) tube amps any good at all (like a Super Champ XD)? It is a big leap up in price to the Vox AC15C1 territory (and again, I have no clue how usable the tone would be at low levels). I would need to use a pedal to get a decent metal tone, and I found it very difficult to get a decent metal tone from the old Twin that I had years ago.

What are general thoughts from someone who has used the Vypyr (or any other recommended amp) for a period of time. Most user reviews I have stumbled across on the internet are written by people who have owned them for a matter of days-- and there is always a certain enthusiasm with new gear. Also, the Vypyr has a ton of bells and whistles--- and sometimes less is more. Do all the features interfere with the usability?
Quote by theogonia777
and then there's free jazz, which isn't even for musicians.

Quote by Born A Fool
As my old guitar teacher once said: Metal really comes from classical music. The only difference is pinch harmonics, double bass, and lyrics about killing goats.
Quote by filtersweep
A few questions--- are the cheap Fender (or any other brand) tube amps any good at all (like a Super Champ XD)?
Yes. Much better than the modeling amps like the Vyper IMO. I have a Vypyr 15 and it's sounds decent, but the XD is far better.
Quote by fly135
Yes. Much better than the modeling amps like the Vyper IMO. I have a Vypyr 15 and it's sounds decent, but the XD is far better.

I purchased the XD today. Viewing the Peavey as a $200 USD amp, and looking at all the features-- made it seem like a toy. Not that a $300 amp is that much more expensive....

The main reason that I purchased the Fender is that it actually responds to the tone and volume controls on the guitar (EMG actives--- don't ask!). Full modeling amps seem to kill the actual tone of the guitar-- from what I heard in demoing my options. Not that there is anything inherently wrong with this. For all we know, they will eventually redefine how guitars "should" sound. My original goal is to get back into playing. I don't see all the crazy effects on the Vypyr doing anything to promote cleaner, better technique for me. Of course, the Fender has its own angle on modeling and effects--- it just isn't the focus of the amp.

Thanks all for the input.