Basically i have a horrible sense of rythm. I can't play songs in time with a backing track at all but i can play along with the song fine. I dont know what to do to be able to play in time. Am i suposed to go through a song note for note and find out how long to hold out each note and memorize this? Or is there another way? Let me know how you guys do it or give some advice thanks.
Get a metronome, set it to the tempo of the song you want to learn, and just try playing the Rhythm part at speed. Eventually, you'll be able to easily keep time.
I can do most of the rythm parts but the solos are what i have trouble with.
but the problem is i have no idea how to even do it slow. I have no idea how long each note is where I should be or anything im totally clueless.
the only thing i can think of doing is go through a song and figure out if each note is a quarter note 8 th note etc. But this just sounds ridiculous to me, does anyone else do this?
yeah a metronone is your best bet: heres a good bit of advice: start guitar over: learn rhythm using basic chord progs and melodies: if theres one thing ive learned, its that a great way of learning is to look at a music book youve already covered, even a basics book, and look again: its better to refine a skill and become expert in it tan t learn loads of skills half assed.

try tapping your foot in the mean time, or finda metronome online for free, there re a few
Quote by EndTheRapture51
who pays five hundred fucking dollars for a burger
Quote by Banjocal
[...]try tapping your foot in the mean time[...]

According to Al di Meola being able to tap your foot constantly during anything you play belongs to the most important skills, because its the proof that you are really attached to the rhythm.
Last edited by Blutrot at Jul 13, 2010,
I can't play songs in time with a backing track at all but i can play along with the song fine.
Your solution may lie in listening more intently to the backing of the track in question. That you can play with the full track implies that you rely on listening the part that you are playing for constant cues etc instead of listening to the the accompaniment. The cues should all exist in the backing, sometimes it's a matter of locking into the groove and sometimes, yes, you will need to count. Often, once the "groove" of "feel" is internalised, whole phrases are easier to perform correctly. Listening more intently to the backing instrumentation will have multiple benefits to your overall musicianship.
Last edited by R.Christie at Jul 13, 2010,