Hey guys.
I'm going to buy my second guitar: at the moment I have a Squier Strat, but I'm improving fast, so my gear has to improve, too

- I play metal, mostly Prog Metal. But I play hard rock, too.
- Budget: $400-500 USD.
- Bridge: with trem, if possible

Suggestions?
What amp are you using
1 2

Little solace comes
to those who grieve
as thoughts keep drifting
as walls keep shifting
and this great blue world of ours
seems a House of Leaves

My Rig
Quote by Will Swanson
HeavyReverb = Hero of The Pit 2010.
Quote by I-Shot-Jr
You sir are my absolute hero.
http://guitars.musiciansfriend.com/product/Ibanez-RG5EX1-Electric-Guitar?sku=519786 -- Ibanez RG5EX1 is decent. Definitely has the punch you'd need for prog metal.

http://guitars.musiciansfriend.com/product/Jackson-WRXT-Warrior-Electric-Guitar?sku=520326 -- This Jackson Warrior Series is good too.

Personally, if I had $400-500 US, those'd be the ones I'd check out. Read some of the customer reviews and such, see what you think. I don't think either of these have active pickups. But if you wanna get some of those, check out some Seymour Duncan Blackouts, http://accessories.musiciansfriend.com/product/Seymour-Duncan-AHB2b-Blackouts-Metal-Bridge-Humbucker?sku=620591.

Btw, if you get a Floyd Rose trem, make sure you know about them. Do your research, talk to guitar techs at the local shops, etc. Get a guitar repair book, so you can set it too, since you'll need to reset your Floyd Rose every time you change guitar strings.
Last edited by crazysam23_Atax at Jul 12, 2010,
Both Ibanez RG5EX1 and jackson dxmg seem nice... I don't like that Jackson Warrior's shape lol
About Ibanez and the dxmg... do they keep tuning well, even using tremolo?
Do you have any idea what you like?

If not, go to the store and play stuff... you could get an Ibanez, and hate it. The neck is way different than what you're playing now. You have to find out what's comfortable to you, rather than just buying a guitar based on specs.
Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

My band:
Fractured Instinct
(For fans of Death/Groove/Prog Metal)

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
Quote by Offworld92

If not, go to the store and play stuff... you could get an Ibanez, and hate it. The neck is way different than what you're playing now. You have to find out what's comfortable to you, rather than just buying a guitar based on specs.

Yeah, of course I'm going to try something. Just choosing guitars to try before the others ones =D
Quote by Offworld92

He just needs an idea on what guitar would fit his needs the best in his price range
Okay. So I'm assuming you want an FR type bridge?

I'd personally check out the LTD's. GC doesn't really carry them in store, but you can probably find an M-100FM or something.

They carry the 300 series, but I don't think that fits in your budget. Unless you sell your squire and they give you the 15% off thing, then definitely get an M300 or something like that.

My band:
Fractured Instinct

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
GET A NEW AMP. That will DRASTICALLY change your tone more than a new guitar.
NT

BE QUICK OR BE DEAD SON
^ come on. His amp may be an MG, but at least it's a 100W MG. I think he'd rather have an upgrade from his squire before getting a new amp. Even if it would sound better, maybe he can't become better as a guitarist because his guitar isn't cutting it for him anymore.

My band:
Fractured Instinct

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
get a new amplifier, and a pair of humbucking pickups. a strat (squier even) isn't a bad guitar for prog metal. If you don't like how it plays get it serviced, either by yourself or a techy.
Gear:

Squier Strat
Epiphone Explorer
Agile AL-3100

No AMP
Last edited by evmac at Jul 12, 2010,
Quote by donlucx
Hey guys.
I'm going to buy my second guitar: at the moment I have a Squier Strat, but I'm improving fast, so my gear has to improve, too

- I play metal, mostly Prog Metal. But I play hard rock, too.
- Budget: $400-500 USD.
- Bridge: with trem, if possible

Suggestions?

http://guitars.musiciansfriend.com/product/Dean-Vendetta-1000-Electric-Guitar?sku=423694
Very nice and Dean Vendettas are very underrated. The neck and body style is what you're used to and the Floyd rose locks very well. I have generally the same guitar and the only thing i changed was the bridge pup to a Seymour Duncan Invader. (Not to mention the guitar is only 300 new )
Quote by CarvinDC127
http://guitars.musiciansfriend.com/product/Dean-Vendetta-1000-Electric-Guitar?sku=423694
Very nice and Dean Vendettas are very underrated. The neck and body style is what you're used to and the Floyd rose locks very well. I have generally the same guitar and the only thing i changed was the bridge pup to a Seymour Duncan Invader. (Not to mention the guitar is only 300 new )

http://guitars.musiciansfriend.com/product/Dean-Vendetta-4.0-Electric-Guitar-with-Floyd-Rose?sku=515819#used
Actually this would be better because it is neck thru its 700 new but you can get it used for 450 on that site.
Eh.
Last edited by Himelnator at Jul 13, 2010,
I'll third* Schecters. Great guitars for the price. Ibanez is what I personally play but the necks are thin and not ideal for rhythm I'd say.

According to your profile you're 15; do you have issue with playing the upper frets due to the neck joint on the Squier? My first guitar had a heel block and I couldn't play anything above the 15th frets, essentially, so buying a new guitar was definitely beneficial in that regard. I have smaller hands still at 18, though you may not necessarily have small hands now or ever, just considering.

And while playing in person is the best way to choose a guitar, being an informed shopper is always ideal, so take your time reading and learning about guitars and specs, and really considering what you want in a single guitar.
Last edited by I Poke Badgers at Jul 13, 2010,