Hi guys, I wanted to know if any of you do a pinch harmonic on an upstroke ?
I can do pinch harmonics comfortable on the downstroke, and pretty much whenever i want, but sometimes it comes in the way of my alternate picking... so is it possible to do a pinch on an upstroke ?

Thanks.
Wow... I'm sure you could, I mean I don't see why not. It would be hard to get the dig just right, so your pointer finger hits that string. Work on it and tell us how it goes! I may have to think about doing this too...

Maybe not, I don't use PH that often lol
"If you're looking for me,
you better check under the sea,
because that's where you'll find me..."
That all depends on how a person holds the pick...I find myself doing it sometimes by complete accident...
You could, just a little practice to get it down....I can't think of anyone that I know who does it though.

If you're doing it on accident and it's getting in the way of your playing then you're probably holding the pick pretty awkwardly.
i allways do them on the up stroke i find it easyier, but saying that i taught my slef so maybe just a flaw in my playing xD
Quote by iduno871
You could, just a little practice to get it down....I can't think of anyone that I know who does it though.

If you're doing it on accident and it's getting in the way of your playing then you're probably holding the pick pretty awkwardly.

Hi, what I meant by "gets in the way of my alternate picking" was that sometimes when I really need to do a pinch harmonic, my strict alternate picking makes me hit the note with an upstroke... and I am not able to get a pinch on the upstroke just as yet. This is more a problem after pulling off a fast lick. On slower licks, I go against strict alternate picking and hit the pinch on the upstroke if I want it.

About holding the pick:I am very comfortable the way i hold it, and can pull of a pinch whenever I want by just digging in a little more than usual.

Will see if I can get it down by practicing. If any of you already do this or have tips, please do post !
Quote by egokrypt
Hi, what I meant by "gets in the way of my alternate picking" was that sometimes when I really need to do a pinch harmonic, my strict alternate picking makes me hit the note with an upstroke... and I am not able to get a pinch on the upstroke just as yet. This is more a problem after pulling off a fast lick. On slower licks, I go against strict alternate picking and hit the pinch on the upstroke if I want it.

About holding the pick:I am very comfortable the way i hold it, and can pull of a pinch whenever I want by just digging in a little more than usual.

Will see if I can get it down by practicing. If any of you already do this or have tips, please do post !

Yeah i have done it before but the tone doesnt really seem any different than a regular downstroke PH. It's almost useless really if you can do it easier with your thumb. I notice on the downstroke you normally hold the pick with your index and thumb over that (duh) and pinch with the thumb slightly, but if you do an upstroke, you hold the pick a little farther from the index finger so that it may lightly hit the string.
Yes, it's very possible. I can do downstroke PH's at will but upstrokes are much harder for me.

As previously mentioned it also depends on how you hold your pick, flesh from the tip of your index finger must be able to hit the strings. Usually you will do it on accident, I myself can't do it perfectly and whenever I want.
I own an Ibanez J-Custom

I am Guitarnoob_100. Say hey

PSN: Whiski_Guy
Xbox Live: Chris2194

Steam: Galiathslay
i normally only do them on the high strings but instead of hitting the string with my thumb i do the same technique with my index you still get the squeal without having to use your thumb
I can do em on the upstroke, you can try to use your middle finger if the index doesnt work, but its much easier to use the index

Are you telling me theyre out of dragons?
They never had dragons..
Who didnt?
The world..
GET THIS GUY OUT OF HERE, FIND ME A DRAGON
Last edited by glenthemann at Jul 13, 2010,
I can do pinch harmonics on the upstroke just fine with my thumb. It's totally possible, it just takes some practice.

Another solution, since you're a strict alternate picker, would be to just change whatever stroke you start the song on to the opposite direction. That way, the harmonic would fall on a down stroke instead of an upstroke. However, I suggest learning to do it on both an upstroke and a down stroke. Flexibility is key.
i do it all the time...i just cant do these with downstrokes...still sounds messy after 5 years