Now, to get this out of the way: this isn't a hate thread. Godsmack is a great band. I like most everything they've ever put out. But today they put me over the edge. I've been able to look past the fact that they used an Alice In Chains song title for the band name. I was cool with Sully incorporating some of Layne's vocal techniques, I figured it was out of respect. The logo thing could just be a coincidence. But now the new single: Love-Hate-Sex-Pain. I don't even know what to say, I've never heard such a blatant ripoff in my life. Is anybody else as pissed off as I am? If you haven't heard it yet:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ObYj0Zmfbpo

Like I said, great band...so don't start a flame war and get this thread closed. I want to hear from some true AIC fans and see what they have to say.

EDIT: For non AIC fans who are still curious, I'm drawing comparisons to the song Love, Hate, Love.
Last edited by x_live4guitar_x at Jul 12, 2010,
Vocal melody in the verse is similarish and that little solo at about 3 minutes in reminds me of the riff for Love, Hate, Love but other then that I can't really hear many similarities.
I personally am not a Godsmack fan..I like one song by them. The guys voice is kinda annoying after a while.

But I wont say its a rip off, Id say they just really wish they were AIC
**** Godsmack. They've been doing this for so long! Seriously, they make good music, but pretty much all of it is a a plain ripoff.
Quote by korinaflyingv
On the come up we were listening to Grateful Dead and the music started passing through my bowel and out my arsehole as this violet stream of light. I shat music. It was beautiful.
Quote by the_hoodster
Vocal melody in the verse is similarish and that little solo at about 3 minutes in reminds me of the riff for Love, Hate, Love but other then that I can't really hear many similarities.

Those are really the two points that got me going. The song as whole isn't a complete ripoff, but the title and the parts you mentioned are entirely too much like Love, Hate, Love. I mean that lead IS the main riff to LHL.
Every band takes things from other bands that inspired them, sometimes they realize it and other times they don't. My guess is Sully either:
1. Did the whole grove similarity without actually knowing it. I, for example will just be playing on my guitar and stumble across something really cool, and keep playing it. Later on, i'll figure out it's just like a Megadeth song I haven't heard in months.
Or 2. He really REALLY digs that song, and wanted to make a his own "version" if you will.

No, it's not like he straight up took it and it's very obvious, it's just similar enough to make you wonder.
Quote by genghisgandhi
Your mom had a botched abortion, and you were the result.

Need a laugh?
Quote by MetaIronForce

._______________
||
|'|'|'|'|'|'|'|'|'|'|'|'|'|'|'|'|'|'|'|'|'|'|
|__LOLOMETER__|

That deserved a lolmeter

Quote by Fadetoblack5:03
Every band takes things from other bands that inspired them, sometimes they realize it and other times they don't. My guess is Sully either:
1. Did the whole grove similarity without actually knowing it. I, for example will just be playing on my guitar and stumble across something really cool, and keep playing it. Later on, i'll figure out it's just like a Megadeth song I haven't heard in months.
Or 2. He really REALLY digs that song, and wanted to make a his own "version" if you will.

No, it's not like he straight up took it and it's very obvious, it's just similar enough to make you wonder.

And I can totally get that, one time I accidentally wrote Happy? by Mudvayne and I don't even listen to them much. That can totally happen, but Godsmack just keeps "accidentally" drawing a lot from AIC.
Rip-off has negative connotations. I think they just really like the band, and AiC is a great band so nothing bad about that.
Quote by x_live4guitar_x
And I can totally get that, one time I accidentally wrote Happy? by Mudvayne and I don't even listen to them much. That can totally happen, but Godsmack just keeps "accidentally" drawing a lot from AIC.

Well, like I said, they might have considered making their own "version" of the song in homage. I've done the same thing with the main riffs of Creeping Death slightly modified. Then again they could be pulling a Coldplay...
Quote by genghisgandhi
Your mom had a botched abortion, and you were the result.

Need a laugh?
Quote by MetaIronForce

._______________
||
|'|'|'|'|'|'|'|'|'|'|'|'|'|'|'|'|'|'|'|'|'|'|
|__LOLOMETER__|

That deserved a lolmeter

The initial riff, while distorted, sounds too much like the intro to Love, Hate, Love, except it's a half-step higher. Plus the title itself is obviously taken from LHL. I don't mind if a band pays homage, but Godsmack overdoes it to the point where they're harming their image; they will never escape their comparisons to Alice in Chains.
Quote by Jackal58
I eat dead meat all the time. You don't have to chase it around your plate and it doesn't try to peck your eyes out.

It Happens.

My Gear:

-Custom Fender MIM Black Strat
-Mesa/Boogie Rect-O-Verb
-Schecter C-1 Hellraiser
Rather than being pissed off about a few similarities, I'd rather be blissfully unaware that Godsmack are still alive. Thanks a lot.
Quote by vintage x metal
I love you =] I can't say I was very fond of you when we first started talking because you trolled the hell out of my threads, but after talking to you here I've grown very attached to you.

Yeah, write to my fanclub about it, honey.
Quote by Jack Off Jill
Rather than being pissed off about a few similarities, I'd rather be blissfully unaware that Godsmack are still alive. Thanks a lot.

Lol, ah at least give them a little credit. There are some deep tracks that are way better than anything on the radio.

And by the way, whoever pointed out that the main riff is completely derived from LHL, just an octave down (and a half step up)....thank you so much. I would have made that point but I thought I was reaching if nobody else heard it.
Quote by x_live4guitar_x
Lol, ah at least give them a little credit. There are some deep tracks that are way better than anything on the radio.

And by the way, whoever pointed out that the main riff is completely derived from LHL, just an octave down (and a half step up)....thank you so much. I would have made that point but I thought I was reaching if nobody else heard it.

Can't do it, won't do it. Godsmack sound like rock music Jerry Springer fans would get into.
Quote by vintage x metal
I love you =] I can't say I was very fond of you when we first started talking because you trolled the hell out of my threads, but after talking to you here I've grown very attached to you.

Quote by Jack Off Jill
Can't do it, won't do it. Godsmack sound like rock music Jerry Springer fans would get into.

Hey don't shit about Sprin-.....uh oh. Dear Lord, I am white trash...
But in all seriousness, I did tolerate them until this. I'm in full boycott mode.
Quote by x_live4guitar_x
Hey don't shit about Sprin-.....uh oh. Dear Lord, I am white trash...
But in all seriousness, I did tolerate them until this. I'm in full boycott mode.

You Stand Alone.
Quote by vintage x metal

Quote by Jack Off Jill
You Stand Alone.

Lol. Hats off to you sir, your grumpy demeanor and cheesy wit has earned my respect.
Quote by x_live4guitar_x
Lol. Hats off to you sir, your grumpy demeanor and cheesy wit has earned my respect.

You know, my drummer and bass player said the same thing to me the first time we met.
Quote by vintage x metal

Quote by Jack Off Jill
You know, my drummer and bass player said the same thing to me the first time we met.

Awww, you let your rhythm section speak to you. You're a kinder man than I.
Yeah I just listened and it's pretty similar. I mean, if it was just one similar melody that would be okay, but the fact that the title, chord progression to the verse and riff are all similar to Love, Hate, Love, then that's a little too much.
I was just going to post a thread on this.

This song isnt ripping off Love,Hate,Love. Its ripping off Confusion.

Confusion chorus: "Love, Sex, Pain, Confusion, Suffering"

Godsmack chorus: "Love, Hate, Sex, Pain"

I mean comeon guys! at least change the words to something else! I also find that their vocal mixing is similar to AIC. Like, how they split the two octaves. Where either its Layne and Jerry or just Layne. Like the song Voodoo by Godsmack has always reminded me of Layne. Like the way he sings the word "Veins". and notice too they have their version of Jerry singing the harmony in the background.

Honestly, Godsmack is for people who say things like "We work hard but play harder". I kind of lump them in with Disturbed, Buckcherry, etc. Just filler rock music IMO.
58-32 NFL Thread Pick Em.
Last edited by TSmitty6 at Jul 15, 2010,
They used to be a aic cover band...

/thread move on and pray they go away.
Well, for starters Godsmack is actually a song by Alice in Chains off the album Dirt. That's where Godsmack got the band name from. Their main influence is AIC so that explains the similar vocal techniques and post-grunge/rock guitars.
This is nothing new. There was the one song where they ripped off the video for 'Grind', and I find that every song by them rips off AIC. I just ignore them because they aren't original.
Quote by L2112Lif
I put a ton of my capital into SW Airlines... The next day, THE NEXT DAY these nutters fly into the WTC. What the hell? Apparently no one wanted to fly anymore, and I was like "What gives? God damnit Osama, let me win a fuggin' game!"
Quote by wfbrady09
Well, for starters Godsmack is actually a song by Alice in Chains off the album Dirt. That's where Godsmack got the band name from. Their main influence is AIC so that explains the similar vocal techniques and post-grunge/rock guitars.

This.

Im not going make a bigger deal about someone stealing something from their influences. EVERYONE HAS DONE IT. From Led Zeppelin(Lots of Blues guys) to Metallica(Sabbath) to Nirvana(Meat puppets). It happens.
"Music became a healer for me. And I learned to listen with all my being. I found that it could wipe away all the emotions of fear and confusion relating to my family." Eric Clapton
Last edited by Blackwaterson89 at Jul 31, 2010,
Quote by Blackwaterson89
This.

Im not going make a bigger deal about someone stealing something from their influences. EVERYONE HAS DONE IT. From Led Zeppelin(Lots of Blues guys) to Metallica(Sabbath) to Nirvana(Meat puppets). It happens.

...Dude totally agree... hop off godsmack, theyre just making music the only way they know how!