hello, people. I'm sure the question has been asked many times before, but this is a bit more specific: I have a few pickup combos in mind, but i don't know which to choose (this is for my guitar build.)
1. Crunch Lab (bridge), YJM (middle), LiquiFire (neck)
2. X2N (bridge), Chopper (middle), D Activator X (neck)
3. D Activator (bridge), Virtual Solo (middle), D Activator (neck)

Which would be best? BTW, i play thrash/metalcore/metal (Lamb of God, Jeff Loomis (solo band), Megadeth, Metallica, Stone Sour, etc.) I'm leaning towards the 1st combo, but tell me which is better!
If you have a a better combo (h/s/h only), please let me know! I'd like it if it were DiMarzio, but if a pair of Duncans would be better, i'll check it out.

Thanks in advance!
SM
Last edited by ShreddMann at Jul 12, 2010,
Schecter Blackjack ATX C-1 FR
Schecter Hellraiser C-7
PRS Custom 24
SX Strat

Peavey 6505+
BUGERA 333XL
Laney LA412 Cab
Marshall AVT100 (Living at my friends place :P )
The Crunch Lab is what John Petrucci of Dream Theater used on their last album. Great tone I think. It has that "clean, distorted" tone, meaning less feedback and such. Likewise, the LiquiFire is John's neck pickup. So, personally, I'd go for the first combo.

HOWEVER, you might wanna look into Seymour Duncan Blackouts. They're actives like EMGs, but have a cleaner tone. I put one in my Squier and it really cleaned that guitar up. Look here, the regular Blackouts, http://www.seymourduncan.com/products/electric/humbucker/cutting-edge/blackouts/ OR here, the "Metal" blackouts, http://www.seymourduncan.com/products/electric/humbucker/cutting-edge/blackouts/. Personally, I think both work great for Metal, but the "Metal" blackouts work better with lower tunings like Drop C. If you mainly play in E standard, like me, go with the regular Blackouts though. The only thing is that the Blackouts don't come with a middle pickup, but if you put a high powered middle in there, it'll prolly sound ok. Personally, I'd just go with the two Blackouts and whatever Mid you already have, but that's just me.

Btw, please do us Metalheads a favor; this really bugs me. Don't call it "Metalcore". It's either Hardcore or it's Metal. It's not both. Just a pet peeve of mine. Yes, I'm an Elitist that way.
Last edited by crazysam23_Atax at Jul 12, 2010,
Quote by grizzli1994

Combo 1 would sound great, but combo 3 would sound even better for thrash.
Quote by Blompcube
it's so cool to hate Gibson, even the federal Department of Justice hates them.

( )( )
( . .) This is Bunny. Copy and paste Bunny into your
C('')('') signature to help him gain world domination.
It depends on what kind of wood you're using on your build. Setup 1 is supposed to best for mahogany and completely avoided in alder guitars(or so I've heard). i have no idea how setup 2 will react to wood type. Setup 3, on the other hand I believe sounds great in Mahogany. This i know for sure. It completely changed the characteristics of my seven( the deactivator) and turned it from a $200 turd into a decent sounding guitar. It's by no means awesome, but thats because it's in a $200 washburn X-27. It seems to stay clean and articulate no matter how much gain you throw at it.
Schecter Hellraiser C7 FR/Bareknuckle Cold Sweat/Liquifire
Godin A12 - For Sale
1991 EBMM Silhouette
Emperor 2x12

7+>6, ERG Legion

Like going fast?
Quote by shaggydogJV
It depends on what kind of wood you're using on your build.

I'm using a mahogany body with a quilted maple top, a maple neck with rosewood fretboard. See full specs on my other thread.
Quote by ShreddMann
I'm using a mahogany body with a quilted maple top, a maple neck with rosewood fretboard. See full specs on my other thread.

In that case, I'd go with setup 1.
Schecter Hellraiser C7 FR/Bareknuckle Cold Sweat/Liquifire
Godin A12 - For Sale
1991 EBMM Silhouette
Emperor 2x12

7+>6, ERG Legion

Like going fast?
Number one but put a better middle pickup in. Maybe an FS-1 or even an Area 58, 61, or 67 depending on the output you are looking for. Stay away from the Chopper for the middle. If I were to redo the pickups in my guitar I would do Crunch Lab / Area 67 / LiquiFire or Tone Zone / Area 58 / LiquiFire
G&L Legacy
Gibson SG Standard
Ibanez RG20thDY
Ibanez RG25thFP
Agile Septor Elite 727
Fender Evil Twin / Mesa 412
EVH 5150 III Mini / Avatar 212

Quote by PerpetualBurn
Number one but put a better middle pickup in. Maybe an FS-1 or even an Area 58, 61, or 67 depending on the output you are looking for. Stay away from the Chopper for the middle. If I were to redo the pickups in my guitar I would do Crunch Lab / Area 67 / LiquiFire or Tone Zone / Area 58 / LiquiFire

Thanks, i'll think on that!
Quote by ShreddMann
Thanks, i'll think on that!

No problem, I used to have an insane hookup on DiMarzios so I've tried pretty much every one of them that came out prior to 2008 so if you ever need any help with them let me know.
G&L Legacy
Gibson SG Standard
Ibanez RG20thDY
Ibanez RG25thFP
Agile Septor Elite 727
Fender Evil Twin / Mesa 412
EVH 5150 III Mini / Avatar 212

Quote by PerpetualBurn
No problem, I used to have an insane hookup on DiMarzios so I've tried pretty much every one of them that came out prior to 2008 so if you ever need any help with them let me know.

Thanks, so which middle singlecoil would be better with the 1st combo: any of the HS's, any of the Area's, Virtual Solo, or FS-1? Of course, if there's a better one for that combo, especially for playing metal and thrash, do tell!
thanks, SM
For just Thrash, I guess 3 would sound the best...

I recommend combo 1 though...more versatile, and it would suit thrash fairly well.
Quote by rmr024
Well, in California, people carry around devices that control the minds of bears. So expect to see people walking their bears.

Also, don't be surprised if some robot hookers try to solicit sex to you on the streets.
Well, thanks to everyone's advice, i think i'm sticking with combo 1. Thanks for the help, everyone!