I just restrung my Tele, put some DR Pure Blues on it, thought I would try something other than the tried and true Ernie Balls. I bought the .009 gauge. Now, I had my saddles and bridge screws all set for optimal intonation and minimal buzz, and I always used .009's before, but when I put these DR's on, all but the D string sounded amazing and crisp. The D string has insane fret buzz, wherever it is played on the neck, and even when I pluck it open, it still has immediately noticable buzz. I set the D's saddle has high as I could get it (way too high to even play, but it was just to prove a point), and the buzz doesn't let up even a bit. I tried adjusting anything I could to fix the buzz, but I had no luck whatsoever. My only conclusion is the the frets are worn down, but the guitar is only like 4 years old! But that doesn't explain the open-buzz. and I have taken good care of it, too. I am STUMPED!

Anyone have any idea what is causing this? I own two guitars, and the Tele is most definitely my favorite. I am heartbroken that she is out of commission
hahaha nut lube?
Gibson Faded Cherry Flying V
Epiphone Goldtop Les Paul
Digitech Whammy Pedal
Dunlop Crybaby Wah Pedal
Boss DD-3 digital delay pedal
Electro-Harmonix Hot Tubes Real Tube Distortion pedal
Quote by hijinks
Stupid question probably, but are you sure you have the correct string in it's correct position? Also, is the string seated properly in both the nut and saddle?

I thought of that too and yes, I checked all three of those.
Just put some lube in the nut, i swear it will kill the buzz, or i'll forfeit my interwebz
Digitech Whammy Pedal
Dunlop Crybaby Wah Pedal
I don't think the frets are the problem as the buzz only manifested after you changed strings. I would think it would've started to buzz with the previous set too if that was the case. Only time I've ever had this problem was when my guitar got a little jarred and the intonation got a little messed up which made it buzz like yours, but after adjusting the saddle it was good as new.

Maybe you got a bad d string with the DRs, try changing the D string before you decide your frets are the problem. Strings aren't that expensive afterall. I seriously doubt its your frets, doesn't make sense to me. I could very well be wrong but I'd do a little more troubleshooting if I were you.
Lube is good. If that doesn't work, adjust you saddle, it may be too high or too low. Strats (and most Fenders really) have those little adjustable saddles for every string. So, find a tiny hex wrench, and lower or raise the saddle til the buzz goes away. Then, retune your D.
Quote by mh1986
I don't think the frets are the problem as the buzz only manifested after you changed strings. I would think it would've started to buzz with the previous set too if that was the case. Only time I've ever had this problem was when my guitar got a little jarred and the intonation got a little messed up which made it buzz like yours, but after adjusting the saddle it was good as new.

Maybe you got a bad d string with the DRs, try changing the D string before you decide your frets are the problem. Strings aren't that expensive afterall. I seriously doubt its your frets, doesn't make sense to me. I could very well be wrong but I'd do a little more troubleshooting if I were you.

or do this
Digitech Whammy Pedal
Dunlop Crybaby Wah Pedal
I will try the nut lube. It seems to me that would do nothing for my problem, but it's worth a try, and I will bite my tongue if it works. If that fails, I will buy another set of strings. If that fails, I'll have to just start screaming vulgar things at my guitar until it works right again.

ALSO: As I said in my OP, I already tried adjusting the saddle! That was my first thought! Read the post more carefully, peeps
Last edited by foob85 at Jul 12, 2010,
Quote by foob85
I will try the nut lube. It seems to me that would do nothing for my problem, but it's worth a try, and I will bite my tongue if it works. If that fails, I will buy another set of strings. If that fails, I'll have to just start screaming vulgar things at my guitar until it works right again.

ALSO: As I said in my OP, I already tried adjusting the saddle! That was my first thought! Read the post more carefully, peeps

I read it, I just reiterated it as how I fixed my problem is all. I think people are just trying to be helpful, no need to lecture man. It sucks your stressed and its understandable but no need for that.
Quote by mh1986
I read it, I just reiterated it as how I fixed my problem is all. I think people are just trying to be helpful, no need to lecture man. It sucks your stressed and its understandable but no need for that.

Im not lecturing... wtf?

Anyway, I tried lubing the nut (more so than before) and it fixed nothing, as expected.