Okay, so to start off, I bought my Strat by Squier about a year and a half ago. I have played it EVERYDAY since then. A few days ago my little brother decided that smearing cereal bar ALL over my guitar would be funny. He's 2. So I was kinda mad but not much because, he's 2. I had a set of Elixirs I had been wanting to put on it for about a month. I decided this was a great opportunity. I un-strung my guitar then was a bit curious on how it looked and worked on the inside. I took the pickguard off and unscrewed the pickups(Stupid me. Im just a curious teenager.). After I was satisfied I put it back together,screwed the pickups back on, and put the strings on. I tightened it a little bit and noticed that the strings touch the pickups and it doesn't play quite right. I tried loosening the pickups and everything but i still cant quite get it to sound right. I want to know if there is anything i can really do. Do I HAVE to take it to a professional? Or can i somehow fix it myself? Im in a pickle and it horrible not being able to play it... Someone PLEASE help!
i would say to re-open it, take the pick guard off again, take out the PUPs then put them back in making sure that there where they should be, and then put it back together making sure there in the right place... thats just a suggestion, i have no idea if it would work, but it sounds like something was just adjusted the wrong way when you opened it.
I'M GONNA GIVE YOU A BAD CASE OF SOMEONE SHOT ME IN THE HEAD!!!
I'm not sure how single coils work(I've only ever had one guitar with single coils, and I never adjusted them) but you should be able to adjust the height of the pickups with the screws. It could be there's cereal bar on the pickups, too? =P
Quote by SlayingDragons
Nah, I prefer to tune lower. My tunings usually go into weird Hebrew symbols.
just loosen the screws on each side of the pickup, that should adjust the height.
It's called a Squier, dude. Referring to it as "Fender Squier" is like referring to an IS300 as a Toyota Lexus -.-
MOMMY MAD 'CAUSE I MADE A BOOM ON THE RUG

Gretsch G5120 >>> ProCo Rat >>> Fender Bassman 4x10
Quote by LoudLove5150
It's called a Squier, dude. Referring to it as "Fender Squier" is like referring to an IS300 as a Toyota Lexus -.-

well yea but if he says fender that makes it sound slightly less terrible
Quote by LoudLove5150

Well it says Fender on the headstock. And not really, Lexuses are Fords, American-made, no similarity. a Squier's an entry-level Fender. So it IS a Fender. Happy lady week anyways.
Quote by SlayingDragons
with a little work theirs nothing wrong with the upper end squires... the ones not made from plywood
Quote by halfj06
with a little work theirs nothing wrong with the upper end squires... the ones not made from plywood
As long as the neck feels very good, even a plywood body can sound beastly through a proper amp.

the187riddler, Good Luck sorting it out!

Quote by rickyj
well yea but if he says fender that makes it sound slightly less terrible

At the expense of sounding like someone who's trying to scam another person on Craigslist

Quote by halfj06

I love the higher end Squiers. They're great instruments. I just still don't think people should go out of their way to advertise their guitar as a "Fender Squier." It's almost redundant.
MOMMY MAD 'CAUSE I MADE A BOOM ON THE RUG

Gretsch G5120 >>> ProCo Rat >>> Fender Bassman 4x10
Quote by Enix165
I'm not sure how single coils work(I've only ever had one guitar with single coils, and I never adjusted them) but you should be able to adjust the height of the pickups with the screws. It could be there's cereal bar on the pickups, too? =P

Haha No. I cleaned EVERYTHING off...It took me an hour to get it out of the frets and my bridge... I also just noticed that its ALL over my Line6 Spider IV 120...

Sorry for being redundant about the whole Fender Squier shtick....

Ahhh thanks... I adjusted it a little bit, but it still sounds sorta wack...Maybe im just gonna buy some new pickups... Ohhh yeah By the way, this is my gig guitar... My next gig is august 10th. I think im going to buy some 81/85 EMG's... Hahah people will look at me like "What the fudge is he doing with EMG's on a Squier??"

THANK YOU EVERYONE.
Eh? EMG 81/85s are Humbuckers. Arent Squires single coil? Correct me if im wrong...
Quote by the187riddler
Haha No. I cleaned EVERYTHING off...It took me an hour to get it out of the frets and my bridge... I also just noticed that its ALL over my Line6 Spider IV 120...

Ahhh thanks... I adjusted it a little bit, but it still sounds sorta wack...Maybe im just gonna buy some new pickups... Ohhh yeah By the way, this is my gig guitar... My next gig is august 10th. I think im going to buy some 81/85 EMG's... Hahah people will look at me like "What the fudge is he doing with EMG's on a Squier??"

THANK YOU EVERYONE.

You might as well burn your money.

No point buying pickups until you have a decent amp, and in particular EMGs into a Spider will just be garbage.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
Quote by the187riddler

THANK YOU EVERYONE.

Hm, that's odd. It could be the strings are just not your thing though, I find Ernie Balls to sound really different from the D'Addario XLs I use, although I've never played with Elixirs...and I hear active pickups sound like crap through solid state amps, just letting you know. =P
Quote by SlayingDragons