Hello, fellow UGers.

I am looking for a new amp, i have a budget of around $500, maybe I'd be able to save up more if i need to.

I like the tone that the band all time low has, but i don't have the money for a mesa, does anyone know any other amps in my price range that can get the same "punch"?

New/Used is not an issue for me, i would prefer tube amp however.
Marshall TSL100h

Carvin Bolt
My line 6 spider IV has amazing tone, you can get a nice clean tone and at the same time get an amazing distortion. I played Break Your Little Heart by All Time Low a few days ago and i matched up to the tone pretty well. I would definitely Recommend this amp, and it is in your price range.
Blackstar HT Venue amps sound absolutly nothing like Mesas, regardless of the useless 'ISF' feature.

The Spider reccomendation is hopefully a joke.
"In modern music, a lot of people are really stuck on the example, asif it were the idea. It takes millions of examples to articulate an idea, so don't get stuck on the f*cking example." - Joshua Homme, 2008.
I 've got a JCM2000 DSL100 head, that you could probably pick up used in your price range, which I use for my punk sounds and I really like it

Here's a couple of covers I did with it:

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/2298596/The%20Randy%20Experience/The%20Randy%20Experience%20II/Teenage%20Dirtbag.mp3

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/2298596/The%20Randy%20Experience/The%20Randy%20Experience%20II/Complicated.mp3

Although, it doesn't really sound like a Mesa admittedly. It depends if you're set on a Mesa sound or not
Guitars: PRS Custom 24, PRS EG3, PRS Santana SE, PRS Tremonti SE, ESP-LTD M-200FM

Acoustics: Maton EM225C, Washburn WD-42S, Ovation Tangent

Amps: Peavey 5150 Mk 1, Randall V2, Marshall JCM2000 DSL100

Cab: Framus FR212
Quote by Rckin2fame56
My line 6 spider IV has amazing tone, you can get a nice clean tone and at the same time get an amazing distortion. I played Break Your Little Heart by All Time Low a few days ago and i matched up to the tone pretty well. I would definitely Recommend this amp, and it is in your price range.

No it doesn't.
No you can't.
No you didn't
i've got a cool Guitar research Halfstack, its amazingly good, though hard to find.

bought it for 150.

theres a review on here for it, so check it out.
I'm liking the bugera 333XL, and don't worry guys, no spider IV for me, I'm not that naive.

Ill check out those covers idiotbox.
I'm not set on the mesa sound, i just want something quite punchy.

Thanks for all the advice guys, has anyone here tried the crate blue voodoo? I haven't had a chance to try one, but i heard they were a ridiculous deal.
Marshall TSL100h

Carvin Bolt
Idiotbox, i love your tone. Ill keep an eye out for that amp.

EDIT: That might be a little out of my price range, i need a new amp soonish as my band will start to gig soon.
Marshall TSL100h

Carvin Bolt
Last edited by Blakeu224 at Jul 12, 2010,
Quote by WantsLesPaul
A Marshall JCM 900 is also worth checking out.

Does the Bugera 1990 really represent its tone? ive seen some videos and it sounds pretty spot on. I might just snatch one of those up.
Marshall TSL100h

Carvin Bolt
haha thanks man

It's a nice amp, some people round here don't like it cause the bottom end is too loose for metal. But for punk and below I really like it. Just something to consider in case you were planning on playing metal too.
Guitars: PRS Custom 24, PRS EG3, PRS Santana SE, PRS Tremonti SE, ESP-LTD M-200FM

Regarding the 1990: It's legit dude! I was gonna get it but then the AOR popped up on eBay and I just couldn't resist.
Quote by Blakeu224
Does the Bugera 1990 really represent its tone? ive seen some videos and it sounds pretty spot on. I might just snatch one of those up.

Well, I have heard it does sound pretty much the same, But some people doesn't seem to like it. Maybe better tubes would make it sound closer

I was going to get one, But 120 watts is too much for me

If I ever need something more powerful, I'll probably get a 50 watt JCM 900.
Last edited by WantsLesPaul at Jul 12, 2010,
The only metal i really play is whatever-core, and i actually like the distortion i have for metal. I'm think i might have to pick up the 1990, i watched a few videos and i love the tone, one final question, will it be enough gain for what i need? and 120 watts is fine for me, i dont plan on trying to crank it.
Marshall TSL100h

Carvin Bolt
If whatever-core includes metalcore like All That Remains, Parkway Drive and Killswitch then you're not gonna get the bottom end for that with the DSL.

If you're gonna playing anything like that sort of stuff then the 6262 or a used 5150 could be up your street...but they're not gonna be as good for the lower gain stuff. You're looking at 2 different tones there and you need to prioritise. Or go for something that will do them both decently, without really excelling at either, like the tube Vypyr or something like that

Shouldnt the B-52 be fine? i have herd that its the poor mans Mesa
Quote by travs2448
is the puppy solid state or tube?

Quote by diceksox1809
solid state. when she screams it pisses me off

^

Quote by GrizzlyFnAdams6
Dimebag had s*** tone and that guitar plays like an abortion. Come at me, bro!

Quote by jpatan
It's because Garth Brooks brings the ****in' br00tz.
Could be worth a look....but the B-52s never came to the UK so I never got a chance to try one.

Quote by idiotbox919
Could be worth a look....but the B-52s never came to the UK so I never got a chance to try one.

no i mean the TS. it says he has a B-52 in his sig. nevermind i just remembered that the ls-100 is there crappy solid-state model
Quote by travs2448

Quote by diceksox1809

^

Quote by GrizzlyFnAdams6

Quote by jpatan
haha oh ok

I didn't see he had one cause I have the UG black skin on

Although maybe look at the better B-52s, but like I said I've never heard them....

you should check em out. i have herd good things about em. the at and atx-100 models are supposed to be as close as you can get to a mesa rectifier for only about 400 dollars. and thats a 100 watt head. there are some production faults on them but just be sure to get a good warrenty plan
Quote by travs2448

Quote by diceksox1809

^

Quote by GrizzlyFnAdams6

Quote by jpatan
neither is going to sound mesa-y, but you seemed ok with more marshally sounding amps, so:

jet city jca 20 - great for cranking, but you wont get a clean tone if you want distortion since it is one channel.

peavey windsor - havent tried one (or maybe i did once, cant remember), but its supposed to be a nice jcm 800 clone. again, single channel amp

epi socal - was really looking at one of these for a while for punk-y tones. never got to try one, but i liked the clips and reviews by people i know

jcm 2000 - possible to pick one up used in that price range, but i think they typically go for a bit more

i will say i dont really know that band, but i wouldnt mind using any of the amps i mentioned for punk. might think of more ideas later.
The, the LS isn't great, but what i was saying was it honestly takes care of the metalcore, deathcore, etc. aspects of my playing.

I'm just wondering if the 1990 will have the gain i need to give me "strong" palm mutes.
Marshall TSL100h

Carvin Bolt
Used JCM900
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Alright, im going to go for the bugera 1990, I thank everyone for their advice.
Marshall TSL100h

Carvin Bolt