I'm looking for recommendations for good hipster metal. Hipster metal is indie rock metal in the style of:

• Boris
  • The Sword
  • Mastodon

Surely there are even better bands out there. Can anyone help? Do we have any hipsters here?
Southern Lord seems hell bent on cataloging hipster metal, check out their releases
i am the moonstar
what a terrible term.
When you have the power, what can't you do?

Quote by KirkMetallica
[IMG]http://fc02.deviantart.com/fs42/f/2009/066/c/2/RAEG_TIME_ID_by_Nidaime_San.jpg[/IMG]

Go, Raeg at the yuppies.
Baroness
I've heard WITTR called hipster metal, although they sound nothing like those other bands, obviously.
Same with Krallice
Tombs
Quote by technicolour

I've heard WITTR called hipster metal, although they sound nothing like those other

When I saw them in Manchester, there where a lot of people who looked like what you think when someone says hipster.

But then looks don't dictate what you can and can't enjoy, so its it bit of a moot point really.
Hipster metal, code for 'this metal is enjoyed by non-metal fans'.

Idiotic notion, if the people are passionate about the music, how are they hipsters which generally implies they're in it for the popularity points? Something not associated with metal.
Quote by logboy
Hipster metal, code for 'this metal is enjoyed by non-metal fans'.

Idiotic notion, if the people are passionate about the music, how are they hipsters which generally implies they're in it for the popularity points? Something not associated with metal.

hipsters don't care about how popular they are - that's so unhip.
Quote by progbass
What's with the baroness hate? Red is fantastic psychadelic sludge

Red and Blue album are both good imho. However, they still draw that type of "hipster" crowd.
Matthew 5:5 - "Blessed are the meek: for they shall Beherit the earth."
Mastodon are deadly. That is all.
Quote by Ultraussie
I want to try that while playing the opening riff to "Tempting Time".

0-0-0-13-0-0-0-0-13 or something like that alalalala but It;s so heavy and off time and awesome and you could not f**k anyone to it.

Quote by Ingested
burzum IS nazi. well, varg is.
[insert sludge, stoner, or drone metal band here]
Quote by progbass
Burzum

This too. Nothing else though. Maybe Ulver, I guess.
Quote by Penisaur
Red and Blue album are both good imho. However, they still draw that type of "hipster" crowd.

This.

Like it or not, this type of metal attracts hipsters. It doesn't stop me from liking it. It does stop me enjoying gigs so much though, as the hipster folk are shite when it comes to live music, they just stand about drinking fucking Red Stripe.
Quote by ChemicalFire
The point of underground bands is their not popular or famous most of the time. Thus there is a good chance they suck.
Quote by webbtje
Averse Sefira.

That name sounds dangerously close to Converse Sefira, the hipster bastards.
Quote by Ultraussie
I want to try that while playing the opening riff to "Tempting Time".

0-0-0-13-0-0-0-0-13 or something like that alalalala but It;s so heavy and off time and awesome and you could not f**k anyone to it.

Quote by Ingested
burzum IS nazi. well, varg is.
I wonder if the core kids who got into the unspoken kingdom ever checked out the rest of cryptopsy's discography.
I showed my friend Slit Your Guts, apparently the breakdown "has too many notes" and "needs to be tuned heavier".
Quote by ChemicalFire
The point of underground bands is their not popular or famous most of the time. Thus there is a good chance they suck.
Quote by eazy-c
This.

Like it or not, this type of metal attracts hipsters. It doesn't stop me from liking it. It does stop me enjoying gigs so much though, as the hipster folk are shite when it comes to live music, they just stand about drinking fucking Red Stripe.

Pbr over here. I've been to two baroness gigs, and even the one at the hipster bar had mostly metal folk attending in support of baroness
HESSIAN HAREM
FOR THE ADVANCEMENT OF THE HESSIAN CULTURE. STAY TRUE.
Quote by eazy-c
I showed my friend Slit Your Guts, apparently the breakdown "has too many notes" and "needs to be tuned heavier".

"This music! It's too musical! NOOO!!!"

My friends, who are all still stuck in the early 00's metalcore craze mind you, only recently uncovered Mastodon. Hearing positive comments, I introduced them to High On Fire, Acid Bath, and Goatsnake.
They may as well have been listening to paint being scraped off a chalkboard.
Dyer's Eve is awesome, and has an abnormally large penis, which doesn't act as any hinderance to his everyday life despite its freakishly large size.
For unrivaled obedience, user King_ofKumbucha is awarded this spot of honor.
Mine's was like 20% metal folk, the rest hipsters. I probably look more like a hipster than a metalhead these days though, I hope people don't say nasty things about me.

I'm going to see an indie-folk singer/songwriter in the hipster venue tonight, and I plan on drinking Red Stripe

EDIT: ^ I know that feeling. "I love Bloodbath!", "Here, listen to Morbid Angel and Dismember", "Oh my god, that's utter pish". Raeg.
Quote by ChemicalFire
Last edited by eazy-c at Jul 13, 2010,