well obviosly i need help with sweeping. ive been struggling for a while with this and was wondering if anyone could give me some tips to help me out a bit

thanks guys
Tokai SG in Ebony

Epiphone Les Paul Plus Top with Honeyburst Finish

Vox ValveTronix 15

Dunlop Crybaby Wah

Quote by 3volved
I'm a 'single-cut slut'...gotta go with the EC-1000.
The greatest tip you will get is practise VERY slowly until you are capable (and it's gonna take a while, sweeping is v.difficult).
Azrael is absolutely correct - starting VERY slow is very important to playing any type of sweeping lick - or any lick in general, actually - cleanly and with good articulation. Also, pay attention to your muting - both with your fret and pick hands. The last thing you want is a ton of ringback from strings that aren't properly muted. It muddies up your sound very quickly.
Do you feel warm within your cage?

And have you figured out yet -

Life goes by?
Quote by Hydra150
There's a dick on Earth, too
It's you
Azrael wins.
Gear:
B-52 ATX-100
Mesa Oversized recto 4x12
Jackson DKMG (w/ BareKnuckle Warpigs )
Ibanez Acoustic

Feel free to add me or PM me.
cheers guys
Tokai SG in Ebony

Vox ValveTronix 15

Dunlop Crybaby Wah

Quote by 3volved
You should also practice with distortion. That way you can hear any unmuted notes ring out.
Ive found that if I practice too slowly its hard to get a clean sweeping motion with my right hand, it becomes more like I am picking each string individually

Are you telling me theyre out of dragons?
They never had dragons..
Who didnt?
The world..
GET THIS GUY OUT OF HERE, FIND ME A DRAGON
i have also found that, but then when i speed up i still struggle. lol. can anyone reccomend anything in particular as an exercise for me to practise?
Tokai SG in Ebony

Vox ValveTronix 15

Dunlop Crybaby Wah

Quote by 3volved
Playing slow can be just as hard as play fast. Start around 40 or 50 BPM. Do not speed up until you can do it at that speed. When doing it slow you have to make sure you use proper technique, or else you wont use proper technique when you speed up. If you find you are picking each note, focus on your picking hand. Change the angle your holding it, raise or lower it from the body. Watch some videos that show peoples picking hand when sweeping and try to immitate it.
Quote by glenthemann
Ive found that if I practice too slowly its hard to get a clean sweeping motion with my right hand, it becomes more like I am picking each string individually

It kind of felt like that for me, too. It's just something you have to get over, I think.

I picked up sweep picking relatively fast, as I seem to do with most anything I try to learn (It only took me about a week to get pretty good at the basic sweeping stuff, having only been playing for a year and a half).

Whenever you're practicing, you have to take it really slow at first. No matter how awkward it feels, it will only help your technique in the end. It's quite temping to jump in at a faster tempo just because you can, but playing slowly when first learning something is so amazingly beneficial it's just crazy not to do it.

Just make sure you practice slowly and keep an eye on your muting and you'll do fine.
Last edited by toxictaipan at Jul 13, 2010,
how do i mute i cant get that!do i mute with pick hand or with finger because i kind of pull of every string i hit helpz!!
Quote by l.a.ibanez123
how do i mute i cant get that!do i mute with pick hand or with finger because i kind of pull of every string i hit helpz!!

Learn to mute using both techniques.

If you're heading towards the high strings, you'd probably be best off muting the low strings with your picking hand. If you're moving towards the low strings, you should be using your fretting hand to mute the high strings.
Guitar Pro speed trainer. Seriously, I started doing sweeps 4 months ago and I can do some 3 and 4 string sweeps now, with reasonable speed.
Yeah