Well Pit,
My mother told her friend that I play the guitar, the friend's son wants to learn. My mother said I would give him lessons, which I'm cool with, but...

I don't know where to start.

How should I plan these lessons?
I enjoy Music

Start with chords. They're simple, rewarding, and are a good start for finger dexterity. Ask what kind of music he likes and find simple songs using those chords. That'll keep him interested, rather than learning scales and stuff right off the bat.

Use songs he likes to teach him technique and theory along the way. Show him the "more efficient" ways of playing something, like alternate picking instead of constant downpicking etc. etc.
I teach guitar as well.

I started with seeing what they already know. (this kid had lessons before), then I made a list of the music he liked.
Over the course of the lessons, I started teaching him open chords. Like the above post, teaching chords are rewarding and don't take too much effort.

He is getting pretty good and he is just about getting the hang of barre chords.
Last edited by GezzyDiversion at Jul 12, 2010,
I've got a new theory of trying to teach people hardest stuff and work backwards

I've coined the name "College to Conception"

It's not gonna work, but I want to see someone try it.
"You're a twat!"- That dude in morrisons

"You Ugly git!" - That girl in the restaurant

"You Were a Mistake!" - Mum

just a few of my fans..

Whenever i'm asked to help teach somebody, i link them the first few articles i found on this site a long while back. Thanks UG.
Quote by Meelad360
Sweep picking.

With your teeth. This.
Quote by Pleasure2kill
The truth is, Muslims never apologized for their faith having something to do with the attacks on 9/11.
1. Go to kids house to give lesson.
2. Teach Em chord (can throw in G, C, and D for good measure.)
3. ??????
4. PROFIT!!!!!
I pride myself on my humility.
Does anybody else teach a kid that simply REFUSES to touch the guitar other than the one hour a week you're teaching? I've tried to boost the kid's interest, you know, burning cds, etc, but he never listens to them.
Quote by bearded_monkey
Everytime I go into the guitar shop and ask for a G-String the shopkeeper always makes that TERRIBLE joke about it not being an underwear shop

So next time I go in I'm gonna ask for a thong
Quote by Baroque_and_Rol
Does anybody else teach a kid that simply REFUSES to touch the guitar other than the one hour a week you're teaching? I've tried to boost the kid's interest, you know, burning cds, etc, but he never listens to them.

What's the f*cking point of them taking lessons, then? The whole point of a teacher is to teach you stuff to practice and to introduce into your playing and music. If you don't practice except for that time, then you're just wasting your money. If I ever become a teacher, I would refuse to teach a student like that, since my reputation depends on how well I teach my students.

OT: I would start with the basics, if he's just starting. Teach him a couple chords, the notes in the chords, and a couple songs that use those chords. After he has that down, then just give him a little taste of theory. (The circle of fifths is a solid place to start.) Give him scales, show the notes in the keys relate to each other, etc.

Oh, and exercises that challenge him, but aren't difficult enough as to make him frustrated.