Page 1 of 3
so i was looking at the line up and i was really stoked until i saw john mayer is going again. i know he dabbles in blues a bit but i really dont see him as a worthy player to go. people like andy timmons, derek trucks, jorma Kaukonen, santana, john butler, slash, joe bonamassa, jack white all seem like much better blues players than john mayer. what does the pit think? im not hating on mayer either i mean he has his place in the music world but he is a pop guy which isnt bad i just thought crossroads was for blues guitarists.
Gibson Grand Concert Acoustic
roland AC90

I mean this one time I was jacking it pertty hard and was making noises and what not

You, my friend, are a genius!
Quote by Skagasm
im not hating on mayer either i mean he has his place in the music world but he is a pop guy which isnt bad i just thought crossroads was for blues guitarists.

That's where you're wrong, he is a blues guy at heart who dabbles in pop.

Mayer is a legitimate blues guitarist.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qla13aWrNP4

Also, I'm not sure if this is the right sub-forum.
"The future's uncertain, and The End is always near."
-Jim Morrison
Quote by SlinkyBlue
That's where you're wrong, he is a blues guy at heart who dabbles in pop.

Mayer is a legitimate blues guitarist.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qla13aWrNP4

Also, I'm not sure if this is the right sub-forum.

no, his legacy was created by little pop hits, where as the guitarists i listed are blues through and through
roland AC90

I mean this one time I was jacking it pertty hard and was making noises and what not

Last edited by Skagasm at Jul 12, 2010,
Quote by Skagasm
no, his legacy was created by little pop hits, where ass the guitarists i listed are blues through and through

Clapton was pop too, back in his day, man.

Traditional, purist blues doesn't pay the bills anymore, man. Typically, that is. I'm sorry you're dissatisfied with him making catchy music. But he's still a blues guy, end of story.
-Jim Morrison
Mayer is actually a very good blues player.

He uses his pop to gain publicity, however, because let's face it, that's the only way to do nowadays.
Quote by SlinkyBlue
Clapton was pop too, back in his day, man.

Traditional, purist blues doesn't pay the bills anymore, man. Typically, that is. I'm sorry you're dissatisfied with him making catchy music. But he's still a blues guy, end of story.

no clapton was psychedelic which i guess at the time could be considered pop but it isnt like todays pop world. the question isnt he isnt blues its there are tons of other guitarists who deserve is so much more than he does. i mean andy timmons>>>>>>mayer.
roland AC90

Quote by Skagasm
no clapton was psychedelic which i guess at the time could be considered pop but it isnt like todays pop world. the question isnt he isnt blues its there are tons of other guitarists who deserve is so much more than he does. i mean andy timmons>>>>>>mayer.

They're likely using mayer to appeal to the younger audience. Nothing wrong with that.

Our generation could use a little more of the blues.

Quote by Skagasm
no people like andy timmons, john butler, black keys, have all become successful without turing to pop.

All peons compared to the success of Mayer.
-Jim Morrison
Last edited by SlinkyBlue at Jul 12, 2010,
Quote by SeveralSpecies
Mayer is actually a very good blues player.

He uses his pop to gain publicity, however, because let's face it, that's the only way to do nowadays.

no people like andy timmons, john butler, black keys, have all become successful without turing to pop.
roland AC90

Quote by Skagasm

Not nearly as successful, clearly.
Quote by SlinkyBlue
They're likely using mayer to appeal to the younger audience. Nothing wrong with that.

Our generation could use a little more of the blues.

never thought of it like that, although i would hate to belive that the likes of clapton and bbking need to use mayer to gain youthful audiences it is the truth though.
roland AC90

Quote by SeveralSpecies
Not nearly as successful, clearly.

go to australia and take a look at john butlers success.
roland AC90

Crossroads isn't an exclusive blues festival. Steve Vai played a few years back and I'm sure there are many more non blues guitarists playing.
E-peen:
Rhodes Gemini
Fryette Ultra Lead
Peavey 6505
THD Flexi 50

Gibson R0 Prototype
EBMM JP13 Rosewood
Fender CS Mary Kaye

WTLT

(512) Audio Engineering - Custom Pedal Builds, Mods and Repairs
yeah he makes insipid, nauseating pop, but he's a legitimate blues guitarist for what's that's worth. he had some formal training I think but certainly has the 'feel' down. His blues vocal style is almost entirely derived from SRV (as are a couple of his licks), but whatever.

Clapton was in a psychedelic pop/rock band. None of Cream's stuff is as icky as Mayer's stuff. However, much of Clapton's solo career is. So I see no issue with Mayer being there...How is "wonderful tonight" or any of that any better than John's stuff?
Quote by SeveralSpecies
Australia =/= overall success.

he is from australia. he is as big there as mayer is here
roland AC90

Quote by Skagasm
he is from australia. he is as big there as mayer is here

.....ok?

He's still no where near as successful overall.
Quote by mmolteratx
Crossroads isn't an exclusive blues festival. Steve Vai played a few years back and I'm sure there are many more non blues guitarists playing.

i had no idea vai played it. this makes alot more sense now thanks
roland AC90

Quote by Skagasm

Oh yes, blues through and through. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cKeMzevbcgw

Seriously? Stop throwing labels on John Mayer and check out his bluesey stuff before making comparisons.
Warmoth Strat w/ Lace Holy Grails
'07 Roadhouse Strat
Washburn WD-21 all Koa Acoustic
Marshall JCM-2000 TSL-122
Bugera V-5
Quote by mmolteratx

yeah, Dan Tyminski (eg sang man of constant sorrow in OBWAT?), a bluegrass guitarist was there in 04, as was Country player Vince Gill, and James Taylor.

looking over past performers it seems to indeed be more "roots-rock" and blues than pure blues.
The Image of JM playing Machine Gun by Hendrix in 04 whilst wearing a popped collar is sure to get many a person's goat.
Quote by SeveralSpecies
.....ok?

He's still no where near as successful overall.

once you get into that territory its hard to say who is more successful. cause granted john mayer probably has more fans but butler for sure has a much stronger following.
roland AC90

Quote by Rogue Hermit
Oh yes, blues through and through. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cKeMzevbcgw

Seriously? Stop throwing labels on John Mayer and check out his bluesey stuff before making comparisons.

i actually have checked out alot of his stuff i like his music but there alot of blues guitarist who deserve his spot more.
roland AC90

Quote by Skagasm
once you get into that territory its hard to say who is more successful. cause granted john mayer probably has more fans but butler for sure has a much stronger following.

?

It's not hard at all
Quote by Skagasm
i actually have checked out alot of his stuff i like his music but there alot of blues guitarist who deserve his spot more.

What is this spot you speak of?
'07 Roadhouse Strat
Bugera V-5
Quote by SeveralSpecies
?

It's not hard at all

yeah it is. the doors had more fans the jimi hendrix but hendrix is considered to be more successful today. alot more kids know about hendrix but very few know about the doors cause hendrix had a stronger following than the doors.
roland AC90

Quote by Skagasm

-Jim Morrison
Quote by Rogue Hermit
What is this spot you speak of?

his spot at crossroads
roland AC90

Quote by Skagasm
yeah it is. the doors had more fans the jimi hendrix but hendrix is considered to be more successful today. alot more kids know about hendrix but very few know about the doors cause hendrix had a stronger following than the doors.

.....Ok. Let's ask random people if they've heard of John Mayer or Butler.

You honestly think Butler will even come close?
Quote by SlinkyBlue

i openly stated the mayer has more fans but i bet a large percentage of those likes are just one time listeners who were like yeah he's hott or i love your body is a wonderland. but john butler has people that stick to his music, his music has a large impact on their lives, they have branched into other musicians cause of his style. where as i bet very few people have been like i like john mayer i bet ill like this clapton or stevie ray guy too
roland AC90

Quote by Skagasm
i openly stated the mayer has more fans but i bet a large percentage of those likes are just one time listeners who were like yeah he's hott or i love your body is a wonderland. but john butler has people that stick to his music, his music has a large impact on their lives, they have branched into other musicians cause of his style. where as i bet very few people have been like i like john mayer i bet ill like this clapton or stevie ray guy too

How much you wanna bet?
Quote by SeveralSpecies

no i dont but i think if you let people listen to both most would pick butler and also the people that said butler would know alot more about his music than the majority of mayer fans would know about mayer's music
roland AC90

Quote by SeveralSpecies

I'll start it off and say I've never heard of John Butler.
Quote by Skagasmi
actually have checked out alot of his stuff i like his music but there alot of blues guitarist who deserve his spot more.
And I have to disagree with this. He's one of the most influential blues guitars of this decade. He's definitely earned just about everything coming his way right now.
THE OHIO STATE BUCKEYES

Drive! Drive on down the field, men of the scarlet and gray...
I'm an
Engeneer
Enginere
Engenere
I'm good with math.

a0/2 + ∑ an cos(nπx/L) + bn sin(nπx/L)

ĤΨ(x,t) = iħ ∂Ψ(x,t)/∂t
σx σp ≥ h/2
Quote by Skagasm

If 40% of Butler's fans were the super strong fans like you say, and 10% of Mayer's were, Mayer still has double the strong fans. Mayer has a stronger following. Simple math.
'07 Roadhouse Strat
Bugera V-5
Quote by Skagasm
no i dont but i think if you let people listen to both most would pick butler and also the people that said butler would know alot more about his music than the majority of mayer fans would know about mayer's music

Right...

Quality =/= success.

You're basing 100% of this off your musical tastes.
Quote by SeveralSpecies
How much you wanna bet?

a blow job from an amsterdam hooker
roland AC90

Quote by Skagasm
I'm one of those few people.
Quote by Skagasm
I have to be an exception then. I know quite a bit about Mayer's music.
THE OHIO STATE BUCKEYES

Drive! Drive on down the field, men of the scarlet and gray...
I'm an
Engeneer
Enginere
Engenere
I'm good with math.

a0/2 + ∑ an cos(nπx/L) + bn sin(nπx/L)

ĤΨ(x,t) = iħ ∂Ψ(x,t)/∂t
σx σp ≥ h/2
Quote by SeveralSpecies
Right...

Quality =/= success.

You're basing 100% of this off your musical tastes.

no im not saying everyone will be like jonh butler, i know alot will like mayer better but i think more will like john butler better if everyone has heard what he does.
roland AC90

Quote by Skagasm
no im not saying everyone will be like jonh butler, i know alot will like mayer better but i think more will like john butler better if everyone has heard what he does.

Well maybe more people would know about John Butler if he, oh I don't know, made a pop album.
Page 1 of 3