I've been trying to use guitar on guitar rig, but when I plug my guitar into my computer I get tons of static and can barely here what I'm playing. does anybody know what's causing this and what could fix it?
you have to have a preamp or a usb interface. your analog signal has to be converted to digital before it becomes readable to a computer
*lust list*
Vox tone lab
Vox ac50
satchurator
satches time machine
vintage phase 90
Money towards this gear = $0.00

Quote by Doctor Matthews
Yeah I dreamt I was fighting Master Hand, but then I woke up to realize I was jackin' it in my sleep.
Quote by TechnoLp
you have to have a preamp or a usb interface. your analog signal has to be converted to digital before it becomes readable to a computer

So do you think if I had a 1/4 cable to USB that would work?
Quote by NIN1993
So do you think if I had a 1/4 cable to USB that would work?

Probably not, as stated above you need an interface. the good news is you can pick them up pretty cheap these days, just have a look around the net. I'd recommend a Pod UX2 but you can probably do better
Quote by AxSilentxLine
Probably not, as stated above you need an interface. the good news is you can pick them up pretty cheap these days, just have a look around the net. I'd recommend a Pod UX2 but you can probably do better

does anybody know if this would work: M-Audio Fast Track USB http://www.amazon.com/M-Audio-Fast-Track-record-computer/dp/B002QZ402Q/ref=sr_1_14?ie=UTF8&s=musical-instruments&qid=1278993224&sr=8-14
Last edited by NIN1993 at Jul 12, 2010,
You need to download something called ASIO4ALL

http://www.asio4all.com/

The reason you're getting static is because the signal is not buffering, You do not need a audio interface, BUT you will get better qaulity with one.

Basicly use the 1/4 - 3.5mm plug into your line in or mic in port of the computer, setup asio4all and use guitar rig

This is how i did it and it worked fine, However you will experience lag as it has to buffer the signal (around 30-60ms)
Quote by BoL7z

The reason you're getting static is because the signal is not buffering, You do not need a audio interface, BUT you will get better qaulity with one.

Basicly use the 1/4 - 3.5mm plug into your line in or mic in port of the computer, setup asio4all and use guitar rig

This is how i did it and it worked fine, However you will experience lag as it has to buffer the signal (around 30-60ms)

How do I know if it's working because I'm not sure if I even did it right was the only thing I had to do is the setup and it would work?
Quote by NIN1993
How do I know if it's working because I'm not sure if I even did it right was the only thing I had to do is the setup and it would work?

I forget how to set it up, Hopefully someone else knows or you may be able to find a guide somewhere
Quote by NIN1993

hell google it Google knows all
Quote by BoL7z

It will still not be good enough. Without an interface, even with ASIO4ALL, the signal will still be noisy and muddy. I know because I'm not using an interface right now as mine broke awhile back, and I had experience with this before I ever had an interface. I have ASIO4ALL and I get pretty intense hiss, though it's pretty manageable with noise reduction in Guitar Rig. Besides the noise, like I said, the signal is just muddy for some reason. The same preset sounds completely different and responds different than with an interface. (No definition and just awfully muddy, unlike with a proper interface, articulate and clear)

When you get an interface, you probably won't have to download ASIO4ALL because most interfaces come with their own ASIO drivers, but some may perfer ASIO4ALL.

Anyway, just using the line/mic in with a 1/4 converter is alright for just jamming, recording ideas and crap, but if you want to record a demo or have nice double tracked guitar track, or even record professionally, you 100% definitely need an interface.