In preparation for an audition to play electric bass in marching band (so i can stand on side), i have to audition in a few weeks, and i'm not sure what to play, any suggestions in the general rock category would be appreciated.
E|-5-5-4-4-3-3-4-4-5-5-4-4-3-3-4-4

Batman!
The UG Awards exist only to instill me with existential doubt.

For me, the 60's ended that day in 1978...

Willies. Fuck the lick and fuck you too.
Quote by StringAssassin
Rush, Dream Theater, Wooten, Tool.

Look to these bands for your bass needs.

inb4Fassa

recommendations like this are why you should never let guitards advise a bassist what to audition with.

just play what you're good at. no slap/pop crap. i'd just recommend something that's really tight in the pocket. remember, there's no money above the fifth fret.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lwnmJ4-CDpU
#DTWD
Something a marching band would actually play

Gimme Some Lovin (maybe too easy)

Cum on Feel the Noize

Another One Bites the Dust

Those seem a little easy, but think along the lines of that
By standing on the side you mean "Pit" right? And if they're like my marching band was they won't give a shit about rock stuff. Follow J Mud or primusfan. You also have to be semi versatile and you should be able to read music.
Do you have any idea what the field show is? Naturally you should do something to cater to it. I played bass in pit for 2 years, the years the school did an Earth, Wind, and Fire and Stevie Wonder show, lol. You'd probably want to do something like older funk or soul or motown.
my marching band played Bon Jovi and Styx the last two years. And this year we're playing Billy Joel. So Classic rock is my advice.

Godzilla by Blue Oyster Cult. Do it.
I'm FAT!