Page 1 of 2
Anyone else ever tried it? I've been doing it for a couple weeks now, it's a lot of fun. People seem to like me enough though I had one joke this past week that completely sank. It was awkward as hell lol.
So what's the deal with open mic comedy?

I have no follow up, and even if I did, this wouldn't be funny.
I think we took too many drugs when we were kids,
'cause now we like to make
Weird Music
-Wayne Coyne
Last edited by iantheman at Jul 12, 2010,
I do jokes in between songs when I do acoustic gigs. I've only done a few gigs on my own but so far it's a lot of fun, especially when you can tell people are really getting worked up. I've had a few jokes fall flat but it's never awkward, I can charm and/or wit my way right back up before it goes quiet. I'm working my way up to doing actual routines in comedy clubs. I'd love to be able to make money from it, and I know I have the talent. So far though it's just a really good addition to playing live.
We're only strays.
What was the joke that bombed?
I'll play it and tell you what it is later.
-Miles Davis
Quote by FlyinHigh26
What was the joke that bombed?

I have a joke about how I keep a notebook where I write down all my jokes. But all my jokes are really conversational and storylike so if anyone were to come upon this notebook it would seem like they were reading the memoirs of someone who would later have an episode of Dateline dedicated to them.

I then go into a thing thats like: "Dear diary, I had front row tickets to a Muse concert a couple months ago and upon making eye contact with the lead singer I thought to myself 'If I give him the finger right now, he will absolutely see it. And he'll absolutely remember it.'"

They didn't find that part funny

Everything else did fairly well.
Quote by mrcrono
I have a joke about how I keep a notebook where I write down all my jokes. But all my jokes are really conversational and storylike so if anyone were to come upon this notebook it would seem like they were reading the memoirs of someone who would later have an episode of Dateline dedicated to them.

I then go into a thing thats like: "Dear diary, I had front row tickets to a Muse concert a couple months ago and upon making eye contact with the lead singer I thought to myself 'If I give him the finger right now, he will absolutely see it. And he'll absolutely remember it.'"

They didn't find that part funny

Everything else did fairly well.

You should have said "I have a notebook where I write down all my jokes. But sometimes I come up with something funny, but the pen's across the room. So I have to convince myself that what I thought up ain't funny."

[IN PHIL WE TRUST]

Quote by Trowzaa
I only play bots. Bots never abandon me. (´・ω・`)

Quote by SteveHouse
You should have said "I have a notebook where I write down all my jokes. But sometimes I come up with something funny, but the pen's across the room. So I have to convince myself that what I thought up ain't funny."

haha that's actually really funny. Can I use it? I dunno if I'm gonna do that joke again but I like where you went with it.
Quote by SteveHouse

i chuckled at that one instead of TS' joke
ALL OF MY CRAP SONGS/IDEAS

Quote by God
LOLjk guise, im not real.

Quote by JDbbx
I don't want to go into detail but it involves my girlfriend, a condom and 10 seconds.

If anyone sigs that I shall be most irritated
Quote by SteveHouse
element4433 likes this.

I've been thinking about trying this. I'm working on getting ten minutes of material together, but I don't know if I have the nerve to actually do it.
*-)
Quote by Bob_Sacamano
i kinda wish we all had a penis and vagina instead of buttholes

i mean no offense to buttholes and poop or anything

Rest in Peace, Troy Davis and Trayvon Martin and Jordan Davis and Eric Garner and Mike Brown
Quote by element4433
element4433 likes this.

I've been thinking about trying this. I'm working on getting ten minutes of material together, but I don't know if I have the nerve to actually do it.

You should try it out. It's really nerve racking before you get on stage but once I'm up there it just felt like I was telling funny stories to my friends. Which is really how most of my jokes are set up. They're also [usually] completely true stories... like the Muse one :P

Where I go we only get 3 minutes. Tomorrow I'm doing a set based around how my ex-girlfriend is trying to find a girl to have a threesome with her fiance and how I childishly feel like that should be MY threesome.
Quote by mrcrono
haha that's actually really funny. Can I use it? I dunno if I'm gonna do that joke again but I like where you went with it.
He stole that from Mitch Hedberg, for the record.
kill all humans
Quote by mrcrono
You should try it out. It's really nerve racking before you get on stage but once I'm up there it just felt like I was telling funny stories to my friends. Which is really how most of my jokes are set up. They're also [usually] completely true stories... like the Muse one :P

Where I go we only get 3 minutes. Tomorrow I'm doing a set based around how my ex-girlfriend is trying to find a girl to have a threesome with her fiance and how I childishly feel like that should be MY threesome.

Sex jokes always work
Get it filmed and youtube it, I'd be interested to see it.
dirtbag ballet by the bins down the alley
as i walk through the chalet of the shadow of death
everything that you've come to expect

I'm really trying to get up the courage to do this. I'm so afraid i'll just be staring at a silent room.

EDIT: Also, i don't really look very comical. I really want to be a stand up though.

Quote by Karl Pilkington
Jellyfish are 97% water or something, so how much are they doing? Just give them another 3% and make them water. It's more useful."
Last edited by Jiggzy.UK at Jul 12, 2010,
Quote by mrcrono

You should ask this man.

[IN PHIL WE TRUST]

Quote by Trowzaa

Quote by mrcrono
Well it's not like he can stop me now.

wocka wocka.

[IN PHIL WE TRUST]

Quote by Trowzaa

Quote by mrcrono
Well it's not like he can stop me now.

wocka wocka.

other people will though. Some Hedberg fans are bat-shit crazy
GAS LIST

Z.Vex SHO
AnalogMan Stereo Chorus
Barber Tone Press
Way Huge Supa Puss
Quote by mrcrono

I'm so bad at public speaking. I tried to get over with a presentation in a computer class (it was learning how to use word, excel, and power point or an easy A) where I gave a super goofy presentation. But that didn't work.

I think I'm funny enough, though. I wrote two "Onion" articles that I intended to submit before I saw that they didn't take any. But my friends loved them, and a friend's mom printed it out and took it to work to show her friends. That was a great feeling.

Quote by CullenT
other people will though. Some Hedberg fans are bat-shit crazy
Like me. Hedberg is god.
*-)
Quote by Bob_Sacamano

Rest in Peace, Troy Davis and Trayvon Martin and Jordan Davis and Eric Garner and Mike Brown
Hi guys i was told to come here by some guy, he thinks im really funny.
Fuck it.
I think it would be very ackward, but i would love to try it if I could get the courage
RevaM1ssP1ss
UG E-Vicar
RIP The Rev
One day Yugi will be mine

Schecter Synyster Custom
B.C. Rich KKV Signed By Kerry King
Schecter Gryphon
Ibanez RG240
POD X3 Live
Guitar Research T60R Tube
Line 6 Spider 3 150 Watt
The closest i've came to standup was when i did this Steven Seagal Power Point thing in front of the whole year one of my school. I was nervous as hell and had no idea how to be on stage, but it worked out fine, i few people chuckled and i was really proud of myself.

I have a long way ahead to build up my confidence to do the real thing, but god it would be a good feeling to make a bunch of people laugh.
Quote by element4433
element4433 likes this.

Beer and peer pressure is all that is required.
I've done it before. Had a good time. I just told stories of shit that's happened to me. I'm not funny I just live a ridiculous life.
Quote by SomeoneYouKnew
You should be careful what you say. Some asshole will probably sig it.

Quote by Axelfox
Yup, a girl went up to me in my fursuit one time.

Quote by Xiaoxi
I can fap to this. Keep going.
That's why I'd never make it with standup. Mlia. My best bet is a Lewis Black-style ranty style but I can't keep up with the news like that.

[IN PHIL WE TRUST]

Quote by Trowzaa

Never say never. Yer funny as hell.
Quote by SomeoneYouKnew

Quote by Axelfox

Quote by Xiaoxi
Quote by genghisgandhi
For the good of humanity, please don't do anything involving Lewis Black.

On second thought, I might get a decent following roasting this anteater, yknow?

[IN PHIL WE TRUST]

Quote by Trowzaa

Hmmm. I don't think the smell of roasted anteater would entice me.
Now if you made a video.......
Quote by SomeoneYouKnew

Quote by Axelfox

Quote by Xiaoxi
Quote by Jackal58

I think he meant a comedy roast
Quote by UntilISleep
You have excellent taste in literature, dear sir

Quote by Primus2112
You have excellent taste in video games, good sir.

Quote by GbAdimDb5m7
You have terrible taste in signatures, idiotic sir.

kkoo
Quote by Jackal58

Im strangely curious, in that wierd ackward, you know you shouldnt watch that kind of way
RevaM1ssP1ss
UG E-Vicar
RIP The Rev
One day Yugi will be mine

Schecter Synyster Custom
B.C. Rich KKV Signed By Kerry King
Schecter Gryphon
Ibanez RG240
POD X3 Live
Guitar Research T60R Tube
Line 6 Spider 3 150 Watt
Quote by izbbass
I think he meant a comedy roast

During a physical roast. I'll roast the anteater while making s'mores over the roasting anteater oh no, I've gone crosseyed.

[IN PHIL WE TRUST]

Quote by Trowzaa

Quote by SteveHouse

Believe don't say this.

I sometimes come with good ideas for jokes, but I never have a pen or pencil, and/or I'm lazy and I forget them. I think it's the pot.
grok it.

SKREAM!

Listen to jazz, it's good for you...
Last edited by dubstar92 at Jul 12, 2010,
Quote by mrcrono
haha I know now. SteveHouse pulled a Carlos Mencia on me. Except SteveHouse was still funny.

Carlos Mencia isn't funny
Quote by UntilISleep

Quote by Primus2112

Quote by GbAdimDb5m7

kkoo
Quote by izbbass
Carlos Mencia isn't funny
Thanks.
*-)
Quote by Bob_Sacamano

Quote by mrcrono
haha I know now. SteveHouse pulled a Carlos Mencia on me. Except SteveHouse was still funny.

Say something along the lines of, "When I come with a funny joke I have to try to remember it so I can write it down in my notebook later. The only problem is half of the time I completely forget the joke. The times when I forget my joke, I usually try to think up a new one. This often leads to me writing nothing down nothing. Then there are other times when I just write down some crappy joke, like this one.... Luckily I had a notebook on hand to write this one down."
grok it.

SKREAM!

Listen to jazz, it's good for you...
Quote by dubstar92
Say something along the lines of, "When I come with a funny joke I have to try to remember it so I can write it down in my notebook later. The only problem is half of the time I completely forget the joke. The times when I forget my joke, I usually try to think up a new one. This often leads to me writing nothing down nothing. Then there are other times when I just write down some crappy joke, like this one.... Luckily I had a notebook on hand to write this one down."

Meh
Quote by UntilISleep

Quote by Primus2112

Quote by GbAdimDb5m7

kkoo
2 words:

Bill Hicks
█████████████████████████
Quote by izbbass
Meh

All right, how's this. You'll kinda have to guess at the timing. I hate it in retrospect but I'm not doing all this work and not posting it.

*the audience laughs at you*
I know. Now, here, I'm gonna let you into my world a little bit. Give you a little, trick of the trade, if you will. I have this notebook right? I bought it so I could write down everything I think up that's funny.

Now sometimes I'll think of something funny when my notebook isn't handy. I'll say, shit man! I have to remember that one when I get back to my notebook! Then I get home, open the notebook, and about twenty minutes later... here, I've actually got the little guy in my pocket right now, I'll read you an entry.
*reach into pocket*

*slow, deadpan* I was at Waffle House yesterday--because you know when you're at Waffle House something bad is happening but it will be funny later--I was at Waffle House yesterday and the girl who took my order said the oddest thing to me. I said, I can make that funny, but now, here I am, and fuck I don't know what she said. God damn it, son of a bitch, what was it what was it. I wonder if Ryan remembers. Ah, it was probably stupid anyway. Stupid waitress. God she said stupid stuff. I hated her. I hope she diets, but it doesn't help her get in better shape and she eventually succumbs to chocolate cake and waffles. *shut notebook*

And that's how half the people on my hit list got there.

[IN PHIL WE TRUST]

Quote by Trowzaa

Page 1 of 2