Page 1 of 2
After getting back into guitar, everytime I'm playing I always have to think to myself "whats the point of this? why am I doing it?" and it makes me want to stop. Why do we play guitar? What is the point of it? Why am I wondering?
Why do we do anything?
May the Schwartz be with us! 2012

MAL

Q: OK, so do you care about the labels — nastiest, edgiest team in the NFL?

Jim Schwartz: It's better than the alternative — meekest, least aggressive, softest team in the NFL.

Maybe you're into the wrong thing, mate. I'm not trying to sound pretentious but my guitar is sitting right next to me now, i wanna play so bad but everyone in the house is sleeping. I suck at guitar, but i just want to.

Quote by Karl Pilkington
Jellyfish are 97% water or something, so how much are they doing? Just give them another 3% and make them water. It's more useful."
So we can get better. And then we stop asking ourselves that stupid question.
1989 Fender MIA Strat Ultra
2006 Fender Standard Strat
1985 MIJ Fender Telecaster
Martin SPD-16R

Fender Blues Deluxe

Fulltone OCD :
EH Memory Man
Xotic RC Booster
Boss RC-20XL(looper)
Last edited by 89stratburst at Jul 12, 2010,
(Veeerrrryyyyy tempted to write sex.........oh wait)

I do it because I love to do it. The ability of being able to play what you like whenever you want feels great alongside with the feeling of creating something of your own and being able to share it with others.
I love music and I want to make a career out of it
Quote by EndTheRapture51
hard sciences don't have correct and incorrect answers actually
Cause we're bored.
What are you dense?
Are you retarded or something?
Who the hell do you think I am?
I'm the goddamn Batman.

April 19th, 2011: The Night of the Boob

To be awesome. Everyone knows that guitar = awesomeness

Srsly though, i do it because i love music and i wanna be able to do it myself.
Because then you´re cool.

<.<

>.>

EDIT: Ok seriously though, maybe you´re just not feeling motivated enough to do it. Like an above poster said, it might not be your thing, but don´t give up until you really know it.
Last edited by shlummy at Jul 12, 2010,
Quote by StewieSwan
I love music and I want to make a career out of it

My family told me i would never make it...eventualy I started to believe them then slowly I lost the desire to play. When I started playing again I kept asking myself why.
Because it's fun, and it helps alot with songwriting.
I also sing alot better when I'm playing my guitar. I also enjoy just jamming, and shit.
Quote by L2112Lif
I put a ton of my capital into SW Airlines... The next day, THE NEXT DAY these nutters fly into the WTC. What the hell? Apparently no one wanted to fly anymore, and I was like "What gives? God damnit Osama, let me win a fuggin' game!"
I use it as a front to sell drugs, why else would I play guitar?
Quote by AA00P
Listen to the man, he's Jewish.
Fun and makes me happy and gives me something to do

sex
Quote by JacobTheMe
JacobTheEdit: Hell yeah Ruben.

Quote by Jackal58
I met Jesus once. Cocksucker still owes me 20 bucks.
Quote by maidenrulz19
Why do we do anything?

Why do I shot web?

Quote by sooperduper19
s'possed to be fun. fool

+1
The content of this signature is pretty much irrelevant
Quote by BeneathTheWaves
My family told me i would never make it...eventualy I started to believe them then slowly I lost the desire to play. When I started playing again I kept asking myself why.

Damn, dude... that sucks. Most of my family likes and encourages my playing and music, or so they say.

OT: I play because it gives me something fun and rewarding to do.

And over my entire life, I've always been involved in something with music. My family actually saw I really liked music, and is why they got me a guitar and recording software.
Last edited by SlayingDragons at Jul 12, 2010,
i play cause i like making music. i played trumpet first, but i play guitar more now cause its more versatile and visual. I might start playing more trumpet though. I write and record music daily.
Like punk the way it used to be? Deranged Youth Its like what Warped Tour should be!

Want to hear something mind-blowing? Pit O' Bodies Its like an amateur hypnotist plus the Spanish Inquisition!
I love the feeling of making intangible emotions flow from my fingertips and for a brief time be suspended in midair for all to hear. It's an emotional connection, and if you don't feel it then it probably isn't right for you. You can't force yourself to enjoy something.

EDIT: Oh and this:

Quote by technicolour
increase wrist muscle for maximum wanking power
Gear
Highway One Tele (w/Custom Shop 51 Nocaster pickups)
Standard Tele (modded to Nashville specs)
Reverend Roundhouse

Orange Rockerverb 50 MKI
Vox AC4c1
Jet City JCA20H

And pedals!

"Shiva opens her arms now..
...to make sure I don't get too far"
Last edited by barden1069 at Jul 12, 2010,
I barely play anymore. It became less about fun and more of a chore after I learned a great deal of it. I'm too lazy to progress and learning songs is boring.
Quote by Tyler Durden
It's only after we've lost everything that we're free to do anything.

Erowid
Because I love it. It's the only thing I have ever loved doing. If I didn't play guitar, I do not know where I would be... i would be a total chavvy **** probably, or just a total waster.
That's a good one, TS.
Quote by Pleasure2kill
The truth is, Muslims never apologized for their faith having something to do with the attacks on 9/11.
You can't let what others think get you down man! Obviously you found something you liked about playing so you have continued to pick it up even if it feels negative. If all else fails just try and stay positive and if you love playing don't let anyone tell you you can't be good or you won't succeed. ALL of us have that potential man, its what we do with that potential that matters
Because we still get paid to teach when we can't get gigs.
G&L Legacy
Gibson SG Standard
Ibanez RG20thDY
Ibanez RG25thFP
Agile Septor Elite 727
Fender Evil Twin / Mesa 412
EVH 5150 III Mini / Avatar 212

I play for that feeling of power, I feel powerful when I play on stage with my friends and bandmates and I love expressing myself through music.
I play guitar so I can play the music I listen to. I used to play trumpet, and while that wasn't bad, I didn't particularly enjoy listening to the music (although some jazz isn't bad). I just couldn't play Metallica on a trumpet, ya know? My music tastes were shifting away from the instrument I was playing.
Battling FC: 0259 8373 3725
Cause stringing yer dick hurts.
Quote by SomeoneYouKnew
You should be careful what you say. Some asshole will probably sig it.

Quote by Axelfox
Yup, a girl went up to me in my fursuit one time.

Quote by Xiaoxi
I can fap to this. Keep going.
i play because i love to play and would eventually like to write music that i actually like, but i have yet to write anything that i like.
Quote by webbtje
A woman's perspective is great, you get to stare down at least one top without anyone caring.
Have you ever seen the episode of Metalocalypse entitled "Black Fire Upon Us?" After the theme song plays, it is pretty much explained.

tl;dr, to get someone to suck your dick.
Guitar:
Jackson DX10D Dinky
Ibanez Tone Blaster 150w head
Line Six 4x12 cab
Marshall MG10CD
Dunlop Crybaby from Hell

Bass:
Ibanez ATK
Random ass EQ thing that's not even a real bass amp
1x18 2x10 cab
I play guitar because it's a tool to create music, nothing more nothing less, and creating music is just something I love to do. Same reason I play any instrument I play.
I love music. I always wanted to learn to play piano, but my uncle showed me the guitar and I started borrowing guitars. I was self taught for all of it until five months ago when I started taking lessons (and I still suck horribly and now I can't even use being self tuaght as an excuse).

Here I am now. I still haven't started learning the piano, mainly because I'd rather stick to guitar until I actually get half decent, then start learning piano.
Just to have something to do and to be proud of. And just to be like "yo dude watch this!". And ot have something Im actually good at sorta kinda lol.
My username is a Misnomer.

Im not into the whole drug scene....

I just think Fire is Boss.

I wouldn't be able to give it up if i tried to. It has a hold over me. Thats why i play, not because i choose to, but because i can not choose not to.
Page 1 of 2