I have a esp f-50 that i have been upgrading and "building" if you would say. I have already put emgs in it. a pa2 booster. and new bridge. I dont think the neck with original dots like on a strat compliments the awesome metal look of the body and the tone. Is there anyway I can order a custom neck from esp or sand down the inlays so the fretboard is blank. or is there any other way i can get rid of these dots. I mean it is a bolt on neck so cant they just send me a neck?
Guitars:
94' Epiphone Les Paul Honeyburst
Ibanez RG7620
Ibanez RG560

Amp:
Peavey Valveking Head
Marshall 1960b
you can pull the inlays out, and fil with wood filler, and stain to a color of your liking.
how do u pull inlays out
Guitars:
Ibanez RG7620
Ibanez RG560

Amp:
Peavey Valveking Head
Marshall 1960b
You could just order a new neck, making sure it fits of course. You could try vinyl inlay stickers, which while temporary, will still get you where you want to be aesthetically. And lastly, you could rip out the frets and dremel out new inlays, then re-inlay whatever you'd like in them. Of course this last option is very risky, as you risk warping the neck and tearing the fretboard, but if you feel comfortable in your abilities, go for it.

████████████
████████████

RBY CYOA
well its not really pulling the inlays out, but you can use a dremel thingy to remove them.

you could do like you said and just sand the neck all the way down. BUT then you have to adjust the nut, and rout the bridge so its adjusted to the new height of the neck.
you'd be better off just removing the inlays.
google it. i'm sure someone's made a good guide on it.
No, sanding down the neck would be a horrible decision, it would leave the fretboard very thin and would screw up your action badly. And if you do decide to dremel out the old inlays, don't fill them with wood filler, find actual pieces of wood and glue them in, it will be more structurally sound, and having a weak fretboard is not a good thing.

Best case scenario, you can dremel out the old ones then expand the holes to put in a more suitable inlay of your choice, and inlay a material of your own.

████████████
████████████

RBY CYOA
Quote by MonkeyLink07
No, sanding down the neck would be a horrible decision, it would leave the fretboard very thin and would screw up your action badly. And if you do decide to dremel out the old inlays, don't fill them with wood filler, find actual pieces of wood and glue them in, it will be more structurally sound, and having a weak fretboard is not a good thing.

Best case scenario, you can dremel out the old ones then expand the holes to put in a more suitable inlay of your choice, and inlay a material of your own.

this^^^

wood filler was just a suggestion because its cheap, you can use if for loads of other guitar projects, its easier to get to the shape/size because its a liquid. and you don't have to play with sharp objects.

but if you're like me sharp objects are half the fun, so wood filler takes out the excitement of the project. lol
Yeah but with wood filler, like I said:

A) It's weak, it wouldn't take the tension and pressure from the strings

and

B) Wood filler doesn't resonate as well as wood, that is also why large chunks in the body are better off being filled with real wood.

So with even just those two points, they both say that wood filler is a no-no for filling holes in a fretboard.

████████████
████████████

RBY CYOA
I used wood filler in the neck of my bass when i removed the frets because i didn't have money for real wood. plus there was a specific color i was going for so i bought the stain, and the lightest color wood filler i could find.
so far my franken-fretless sounds just as good as my friends real fretless without the fretlines. (solid rosewood neck)
BUT i do agree, real wood is the best if you can find the kind you're looking for/the tools necessary to get the right shapes.
Well, you filled in the fret slots, he would be filling in the inlays, there is much more surface area and would probably take more beating. I'm just saying, why chance the integrity if you can do it right.

████████████
████████████

RBY CYOA
I agree. that's why i said if he has the tools/money, or a way to get a hold of the tools, for it do it, if not go for the wood filler. and order the custom neck, because the custom neck would just be awesome to have.
ok thanks guys..the only thing if i filled it with real wood wouldnt there be like a line on the outside of the wooden piece?
Guitars:
Ibanez RG7620
Ibanez RG560

Amp:
Peavey Valveking Head
Marshall 1960b
what do you mean?
it'd be just like the inlay, but instead of being plastic, or pearl, it'd be wood, so the grain and color would be different.

the only reason a line would show up would be because you didnt cut it right.