Page 1 of 2
Ok so I'm in this band that plays music liked Mayday Parade and the likes. Thing is, my favorite bands are Creed, Alter Bridge, Porcupine Tree and Buckethead. I don't know how I agreed to it but I did. Well, I guess I know why. The dude can sing really good and is causing a stir around where I live. It feels like a ticket outta here and I guess thats why I'm sticking around. Hence why I feel like a sellout before anything has happened Like the band makes good music of their own lyrically, but I don't wanna be in a pop emo band but if it's a way out, it's a way out. Has anyone else ever had a problem like that? And I know I'm going to get the normal sarcastic responses from the pit goers but I really would appreciate some genuine advice.
Gear:
PRS Tremonti
ESP LTD Deluxe Viper 1000
Fender Telecaster
B.C. Rich Warlock
Epiphone Goth SG
Randall RD200
Line 6 Spider IV 150
Quote by mustaine42
Ok so I'm in this band that plays music liked Mayday Parade and the likes. Thing is, my favorite bands are Creed, Alter Bridge, Porcupine Tree and Buckethead. I don't know how I agreed to it but I did. Well, I guess I know why. The dude can sing really good and is causing a stir around where I live. It feels like a ticket outta here and I guess thats why I'm sticking around. Hence why I feel like a sellout before anything has happened Like the band makes good music of their own lyrically, but I don't wanna be in a pop emo band but if it's a way out, it's a way out. Has anyone else ever had a problem like that? And I know I'm going to get the normal sarcastic responses from the pit goers but I really would appreciate some genuine advice.

If your in the business because of your passion for music, then skip it. You don't sound very excited or inspried by the music your making. If your in the business to make money, and you think you have a shot, go for it.
Get rich and famous in said act, leave, say your reasons for joining the band, then use your public recognition/money to get famous in your dream act.
Everyone has their price. Yours happens to be playing in a band that doesn't really play the kind of music you want to play, but it's a way out of a place you don't want to be in.
~don't finkdinkle when ur supposed to be dimpdickin~
Last edited by Primus2112 at Jul 12, 2010,
Everyone is a sellout.
Today I feel electric grey
I hope tomorrow, neon black
Are you having fun?
Quote by SomeoneYouKnew
You should be careful what you say. Some asshole will probably sig it.

Quote by Axelfox
Yup, a girl went up to me in my fursuit one time.

Quote by Xiaoxi
I can fap to this. Keep going.
Buddy of mine drummed for a shitty scene kid band and he hated it. They got signed, he quit, he used the money he made to start a band he liked. He said it wasn't selling out, it was buying in.
Quote by vintage x metal
I love you =] I can't say I was very fond of you when we first started talking because you trolled the hell out of my threads, but after talking to you here I've grown very attached to you.

Yeah, write to my fanclub about it, honey.
I was thinking about what I would do if I was caught in a situation like this. It crossed my mind a little while ago.

I figure, if I'm with a group a friends playing music together, I don't care what genre I'm playing. It's fun to make music with some buddies and put your own ideas into it and make it your own, no matter what the genre. So, if you ask me, I'd say keep going with it and make the best of it.
#57 in UG Top 100 2010!

I really ought to get my username changed...
The best advice I can give you: start writing the tunes. Be a machine, just turn out songs by playing things you love but with whatever edge you need to make it fit your band. A compromise essentially, but if you're going to make one, you'd best be in control of it.
If not, just ditch the band, you won't be into it further down the line if it sucks now and you don't forcibly alter it. Carpe Diem dude, cut throats out there
Number 9
Number 9
Number 9
Number 9
Number 9
If you bring your own element to the mix, you are not a sellout.
Quote by AA00P
Listen to the man, he's Jewish.
If you're enjoying the band, don't mess it up.
If you're uncomfortable with it, say something about it to your bandmates.
Quote by magicninja_
Do whatever makes you happy man.

What he said.

As for a similar story, I quit my band the other day. The singer is one of my best friends, but our other guitarist has awful taste in music, a need to control everything around him, the idea that I was out to take over the band which caused a crusade against every one of my ideas and contributions to any discussion about anything, a need to be spoon fed everything instead of learning some shit on his own, his head so far up his own ass his vocal chords were in his stomach, and just a generally bad case of Asshole Syndrome. The singer is probably going to quit too, I already have plenty of friends saying they'd love to just jam sometime, and I just have to find a bass player and a drummer, the two things my previous band didn't have.
Last edited by cornmancer at Jul 12, 2010,
I am currently in a progressive rock, a funk-rock cover and a melodic death metal band. There is no way you can sell out more than me.

But you know what, I don't give a shit, and it works for me.

Last edited by Våd Hamster at Jul 12, 2010,
If you guys play any originals, ask to have a little more pull in the song-writing department, if you're playin around w/ covers, try to do something to make them more original/fit your style.
I myself will never bring myself that low... but then again I don't play the same type of music you do.

If it works for you then by all means go for it. If it makes you happy then I dont see a problem
VERY METAL!
\m/
RIP Ronnie James Dio

Quote by metaldud536
RazorTheAwesome, if I was a Ditto, I'd transform into YOU

Quote by Kensai
Basically god wanted to punish people for getting educated/eating apples.

Quote by Jackal58
We all desire a little pussy.
Do whatever works man, if its not working, don't do it.
Quote by DieGarbageMan
i can become erect whilst displeasing women

What a talented person.
You guys are right. They do play pretty well respectively. I thought about riding the coattails like you mentioned but theyre my friends and it would seem like a prick move. Ill probably endure it. It seems pretty fun. I just can't incorporate my style into their music. It's not my music, it's theres. The only reason they wanted me in is because apparently I learned a Mayday Parade solo for em in about ten minutes that a monkey could play. I play ambient music and stuff like Creed and Godsmack.
Gear:
PRS Tremonti
Fender Telecaster
B.C. Rich Warlock
Epiphone Goth SG
Randall RD200
Line 6 Spider IV 150
Do you have fun when playing with them?

Yes? Stay in the band

No? Don't stay.
No muerde, no calla
Sin sangre no hay arte
Nada ni nadie
De nada más

Yeah theyre pretty cool to play with.
Gear:
PRS Tremonti
Fender Telecaster
B.C. Rich Warlock
Epiphone Goth SG
Randall RD200
Line 6 Spider IV 150
If your unhappy and you feel like your wasting your time then quit the group... don't do something your not 100 percent on. But if its making you money, stick with it.

I mean, you can tell me that you want to play music you love and that's cool.. but if your band has alot of exposure then you have a shot to make some serious money. Record labels are interested in performing artists that can draw crowds, sell merchandise, and put on great shows. Record labels will market you to bigger crowds and get you to play bigger shows... Record labels can blow you up big.

Working for a record label is tough work.. because you have to do what they tell you do. That probably doesn't appeal to you, but remember.. working for a record label means your working for somebody. You can't be your own boss. Like any other job, you'll have to do things you won't like. But if your getting paid, then its a small sacrifice if you ask me. Remember that if you're ever thinking about working for a record label.

Now, maybe your upset that your not playing the kind of music you love.. If your really that upset about it, like calling yourself a sell out.. then maybe you should quit. At least you wouldn't be wasting your band mates time anymore. Maybe they want to make money and your holding them back.

Just being realistic about all of this.
Quote by mustaine42
Yeah theyre pretty cool to play with.

Then stay, imo the only reason to leave a band is if you're unhappy.
No muerde, no calla
Sin sangre no hay arte
Nada ni nadie
De nada más

Quote by FreakAddiction
Think of it as an investment.

+100

..and if you can't do it for yourself, at least do it for your mates who asked you to come along for the ride.
Don't worry the style you like is commercial so you aren't selling out. And no one knows you yet... I think... I guess, like to call you sellout. Is not like you started a metal band and then switched to pop punk or w/e style you gonna play in the band. If it helps you economically then go ahead, make the best you can from it. What I suggest is then try to write the most catchy stuff you can and the more catchy lyrics for the type of people who listen that kind of music you can. Study the fans make the best out of it. Then when you have enough money and stuff, go ahead and do what you want. Sometimes you have to do some sacrifices in order to get what you really want.
dude you said you like Creed. I stopped thinking you were a sell out there because Creed are the biggest poseur, sell out band ever and just by listening to them you become a sell out douche.

But hey, I would also become a sell out douche if it meant money would come my way..and since you like a band full of sell out douches, why not be in one?

bro.
Quote by Metalology
You'll probably get some praise from people in as sad of a situation as you or maybe some laughs from people who enjoy your lame sense of humor.

lolwut

a blog that should be floating in the toilet. toiletfloater.blogspot.com
whoa man, don't talk shit about creed. i hate scott stapp, but the rest of them are good musicians.
Quote by slight☼return
dude you said you like Creed. I stopped thinking you were a sell out there because Creed are the biggest poseur, sell out band ever and just by listening to them you become a sell out douche.

But hey, I would also become a sell out douche if it meant money would come my way..and since you like a band full of sell out douches, why not be in one?

bro.

You don't understand the term sell out, be quiet.

It means someone who does something that goes against their beliefs in order to make money. Did Creed do this? Did they play music they didn't like? No. Be quiet.

Creed do suck, though.
Quote by vintage x metal
I love you =] I can't say I was very fond of you when we first started talking because you trolled the hell out of my threads, but after talking to you here I've grown very attached to you.

Yeah, write to my fanclub about it, honey.
Judging from your tone you obviously don't have a lot of real life experience, and by that I mean experience with real life. You have the chance to make a living doing something you love to do, only it's not exactly under your ideal terms. If you don't jump on that opportunity while you can you will regret it. At the very least you will gain valuable experience in the industry and while you may not find personal fulfillment in the music you're currently playing, you can take some satisfaction in playing something other people enjoy. And like several people said before it's not as if you're signing your soul away, you can always change tracks later.
Quote by Våd Hamster
I am currently in a progressive rock, a funk-rock cover and a melodic death metal band. There is no way you can sell out more than me.

That doesn't sound like a sellout at all, that sounds like an awesome, well-rounded musician.

Like the first reply said, do what makes you happy. My favorite music is progressive rock and jazz, but some of the most fun moments I've had was playing with a ska band. I also love playing soul music, even if the guitar part is just simple chords most of the time.

Just play music for the sake of playing music. If that doesn't make you happy, then stop trying to be a serious musician.
Quote by guitarsftw
If you bring your own element to the mix, you are not a sellout.

This, in fact, you are not a sellout at all if you're just using to get famous so you can start your own band with the music you want.

Do you think Andy Hurley of Fall Out Boy wanted to be in a pop-punk band? He was a metalhead but he used it to get famous and make money and now is doing a metal project with Scott Ian of Anthrax.

It's not really selling out, when you write your own songs incorporate some of the stuff you like into them and you won't sound like a pop-punk emo band.
I own an Ibanez J-Custom

I am Guitarnoob_100. Say hey

PSN: Whiski_Guy
Xbox Live: Chris2194

Steam: Galiathslay
I've got to the point where making any type of music is fun for me, maybe you should realize that you can have a lot of fun playing with these guys - in a room or on stage. I think you can enjoy the team factor which is somewhat hard to stumble upon.

Feel the vibe and energy of the band and appreciate the music for what it is, while at the same time, try to start up a band playing whatever you like more.
Ok first off Creed doesnt suck. Mark Tremonti is fuc*in awesome. I like Alter Bridge more than Creed. Just because I don't listen to death metal and all its retarded spin off genres doesn't make my taste commercial. In fact, judging by the sh*t that is currently taking over my area, pop emo, Alt rock and progressive music like Porcupine Tree doesn't seem so commercial. The only reason Im playing with that band is in hopes to gtfo out this place. Texas sucks ass and it's really hot down here. I really don't care for their musical style but they are good at what they do. They want me to incorporate my style into theirs which is not going to work at all. I can't incorporate anything that I do in there. I play ambient and alter bridge esque music. That WILL NOT fit with their music.
Gear:
PRS Tremonti
Fender Telecaster
B.C. Rich Warlock
Epiphone Goth SG
Randall RD200
Line 6 Spider IV 150
Last edited by mustaine42 at Jul 13, 2010,
I like Creed

Anyway, here's my $0.02. Half the time, "sellout" is a term used by people who are jealous of successful musicians. Personally, I would enjoy making money playing music that I don't like (country, for example ). Besides, if you ever get famous, THEN you can play the music you love.
Quote by blackflag49
Condoms, for all the copious amounts of pussy with which you will be inevitably bombarded from this moment onward.

Quote by bingeandletgo
I like Creed

Anyway, here's my $0.02. Half the time, "sellout" is a term used by people who are jealous of successful musicians. Personally, I would enjoy making money playing music that I don't like (country, for example ). Besides, if you ever get famous, THEN you can play the music you love.

Thank you. You are a friend lol
Gear:
PRS Tremonti
Fender Telecaster
B.C. Rich Warlock
Epiphone Goth SG
Randall RD200
Line 6 Spider IV 150
Page 1 of 2