i have a few questions regarding a potential trade for an ibanez js 100.

the trade will be for all things straight up for an MIM strat which i have. the strat is in brand new condition, and i got it for a steal (by steal i mean $200 with all plastic still on), and have no attachment to it whatsoever. i dont even use it.

first, i hear a lot about fake ibanez's these days, what are the telltale signs of a fake? and do people bother to fake js-100's?

how are the stock pickups?

is the neck really thin like the RG's, or is it a bit meatier?

how is the stock trem? are they any better than they used to be (i think the last ibanez i played was the cheaper RG with a pickguard five or so years ago).

lastly, i am not concerned about making this guitar my number one, because it wont, but i want something playable that is different. and worst case senario i will flip it.

let me know what ya think.

thanks.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
Well I know the JS-100 has an Edge III which is garbage. They do have slightly thicker necks from what I remember, more like an ESP so its still thin but not absurd like most other ones.
I play Lacrosse, you should too
Quote by reeses
heed this man's suggestion, for he is wise.

Aww shucks...

Quote by Tom 1.0
Oh and wait for the Schecter fan boys, if you listen real hard you can already hear them coming.
Quote by Metalfan41
Well I know the JS-100 has an Edge III which is garbage. They do have slightly thicker necks from what I remember, more like an ESP so its still thin but not absurd like most other ones.

garbage in what respect? if set up well ( i am good with seting up floyds ) will it still go out of tune really easy if i dont beat on it too bad?

any thoughts on potential fakes and what to look for?
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7

Quote by trashedlostfdup

Quote by andersondb7

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Quote by trashedlostfdup
garbage in what respect? if set up well ( i am good with seting up floyds ) will it still go out of tune really easy if i dont beat on it too bad?

any thoughts on potential fakes and what to look for?

from what i hear, the edge's are good for a few months, and then turn to shit.
Gear:

LTD MH-50
Peavey Vypyr 30
It depends on how old the guitar is. Older JS100's will have the Lo TRS trem, which is horrible. The Edge III is better, but its still made of cheaper materials and the knife edges are a bit soft. Its not terrible, but not great either, if you set it up right it should be fine.

The neck is a bit thicker than the typical RG neck, its more of a Strat neck than RG. I doubt someone would fake a JS100 though. I dont really think thats a great trade though, its a signature model so they're more expensive. If you do want something like a JS, but cheaper, see if you can find an older Radius, they're what the JS was based on, and they're great guitars, far far better than a JS100.
Quote by littlephil
It depends on how old the guitar is. Older JS100's will have the Lo TRS trem, which is horrible. The Edge III is better, but its still made of cheaper materials and the knife edges are a bit soft. Its not terrible, but not great either, if you set it up right it should be fine.

The neck is a bit thicker than the typical RG neck, its more of a Strat neck than RG. I doubt someone would fake a JS100 though. I dont really think thats a great trade though, its a signature model so they're more expensive. If you do want something like a JS, but cheaper, see if you can find an older Radius, they're what the JS was based on, and they're great guitars, far far better than a JS100.

he stated edge III in the listing, so at least its the better of the two there. i dont like the idea of softer knife edges, so that sucks.

i am glad the neck is a bit thicker.

as far as it being a good trade, as far as value goes, it appears to be. in tampa you can buy MIM's all day long at $225-$250, and this one is listed at $500, and it seems like people pay more for these in general. so at least if i was to get rid of it i would probably make some cash.

i am not really looking for a similar guitar, or this guitar for the matter. i just saw someone willing to trade for a strat i dont use, and haven't really ever used ( i mainly bought it because it was too good of a deal to pass up), so as long as its in good shape and genuine, i dont see it being a bad deal on my end. at least this one may get occasional use. also, i have always hated black strats (i know its weird that color matters so much), and would have a hard time gigging with one, they are too generic. if i ever bought another strat it would definitely be a different color, and probably american too. i dont know, MIM's have gotten better for sure, but now with the american specials and high-way 1's selling used for $450, i would go for one of those.

thanks.

keep the responses coming. they are greatly appreciated.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7

Quote by trashedlostfdup

Quote by andersondb7

****** NEW NEW NEW!
As stated, the blades on the trem are made out of soft metal. They're inserts as well, not even part of the baseplate. Some people say they're fine when set up properly but I highly doubt it. I would keep the strat if I were you, have some fun with it, scallop the neck and make a Malmsteen strat.
Quote by reeses

Aww shucks...

Quote by Tom 1.0
Oh and wait for the Schecter fan boys, if you listen real hard you can already hear them coming.
Well, if you could sell the JS100 for more than the Strat, why not? You at least get to try out some more gear, experience can never hurt, and you might love it. I say go for it.
Quote by littlephil

+1 (though i would add "should be fine for a while")

The edge III is allegedly better than the lo-trs. The lo-trs is a piece of crap. However, it should be noted that the edge III is designed to be cheaper, and, basically, worse than the edge pro. So while it's not perhaps as bad as the lo-trs, it's still not going to make an edge pro lose any sleep, and is basically designed to fail eventually.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
if everyone is going to bash the trem (unnecessarily imo) then get the js100 then upgrade the trem to a edge pro and then go for a dimarzio paf pro and fred pickups. the lower end sig guitars offered by ibanez aren`t up to much in there stock form.
"designed to fail eventually"......thats a good choice of words

I could say the same for any car, house, computer, etc...

Things fail....thats life...get over it

And what does for a while mean to you? 6 weeks? A year? 5 years?

I had mine for a little over 2 years and I used it everytime I picked up the guitar and it never failed for me. Not as good as an Original, but it still never failed.

I still blame user and not product.
Gear
Jackson RR24M - EMG ALX w/ ABQ installed
Ibanez Xiphos - stock
LTD Alexi 600 - stock
Ibanex RG - Tone Zone(bridge), PAF Pro(neck)
Blackstar HT-20H
Fulltone OCD
MXR 10 Band EQ
you know what i mean. obviously everything will eventually break down. I mean, heck, most atoms will have half-lives, and most molecules will eventually degrade too, but i mean we're not really talking those kind of timeframes.

By "designed to fail", I mean "designed to fail well within the life of the rest of the product and user". As a marketing ploy, so that you either have to buy a new trem or a new guitar (and with any luck, from them)- or at very least new knife edges (i can't remember if the edge III has replaceable knife edges). Whereas the quality trems are more or less designed to last for as long as possible, within our current technological capabilities (as far as i'm aware).

Does the edge III have hardened steel knife edges? Does it have a steel or brass heavy sustain block? There's a reason why "good" locking trems have those, and there's a reason why the cheaper ones don't. You can blame user error all you want, but those are the facts.

Will setting it up properly etc. prolong the life of an edge III (or any other cheaper trem), and make it work as well as possible? Undoubtedly. Will it completely compensate for the cheaper manufacturing techniques and lower-quality materials? No.

EDIT: a while to me would mean anywhere between a couple of months and maybe 5 years. Most people would want a guitar to last longer than that (assuming they liked the guitar).
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Last edited by Dave_Mc at Jul 13, 2010,
Get the Ibanez, I think you´ll like it, it´s a pretty good guitar. Dont worry about the haters with the trem, thats more hear say then anything else. Most have never had one and those who did and complained about it did´nt know how to set it up to begin with.
lolyeah, alright.

i've never had an edge III, but i had/have a lo-trs (granted i realise the edge III isn't meant to be as bad as the lo-trs) and it was rubbish. the knife edges must have been made out of papier mache.
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by sstony
Get the Ibanez, I think you´ll like it, it´s a pretty good guitar. Dont worry about the haters with the trem, thats more hear say then anything else. Most have never had one and those who did and complained about it did´nt know how to set it up to begin with.

+1

i keep saying this everytime the edge3 haters come on, i`m now just sick of saying the same thing over and over so prefer to not say it.

"if you maintain it properly it will last longer than your need for the guitar"

Does the edge III have hardened steel knife edges? Does it have a steel or brass heavy sustain block? There's a reason why "good" locking trems have those, and there's a reason why the cheaper ones don't. You can blame user error all you want, but those are the facts.
QUOTE]

Their is a reason they have those and their is a reason the Edge III doesn't....COST...that is it.

Edge Pro...for example...Great trem, but it'll cost you

Edge III....decent, low cost trem....low cost = not the greatest quality

If you guys want a good trem then buy a guitar with a good one or replace the "bad" one IF it does fail.
Gear
Ibanez Xiphos - stock
LTD Alexi 600 - stock
Blackstar HT-20H
Fulltone OCD
MXR 10 Band EQ
Your intonation punctuation is annoying, Srob. And stop saying 'people who hate EdgeIII's don't know how to use one', it's getting old.

I think the EdgeIII trem has been discussed enough, in various threads. There are obviously people who think they don't suck, and there are alleged 'haters' who think they do suck. Fact is, you can set it up as good as you'd like, it will always be sub-par to an Edge or Edge Pro (Maybe even the ZR's, I haven't tried those). To some this 'limit the abuse' means 'I want it to be cheap and this will work fine', to some (me) this means 'I'd rather stay away from it and do as much as I want to the original without any problems'.

And to the TS, I don't think anyone would go out of their way to fake a (relatively) cheap guitar such as a JS-100. If you're not used to the feel, however, you might take some time to adjust. If you're really not attached to that MiM strat, I'd say go for it, see if you like it (ie, which one of the EdgeIII-players you are) and go from there. In any case, go by the usual checklist for buying a used guitar.
Last edited by Y00p at Jul 13, 2010,
Quote by Y00p
Your intonation punctuation is annoying, Srob. And stop saying 'people who hate EdgeIII's don't know how to use one', it's getting old.

I think the EdgeIII trem has been discussed enough, in various threads. There are obviously people who think they don't suck, and there are alleged 'haters' who think they do suck. Fact is, you can set it up as good as you'd like, it will always be sub-par to an Edge or Edge Pro (Maybe even the ZR's, I haven't tried those). To some this 'limit the abuse' means 'I want it to be cheap and this will work fine', to some (me) this means 'I'd rather stay away from it and do as much as I want to the original without any problems'.

And to the TS, I don't think anyone would go out of their way to fake a (relatively) cheap guitar such as a JS-100. If you're not used to the feel, however, you might take some time to adjust. If you're really not attached to that MiM strat, I'd say go for it, see if you like it (ie, which one of the EdgeIII-players you are) and go from there. In any case, go by the usual checklist for buying a used guitar.

Sorry.....I thought this thread was about the Edge III, not punctuation.

Also, I never said it would be better than a Edge or Edge pro. I said if you want something of that quality then you will have to pay more to get something of that quality.

And people who talk them down are haters. Dave Mc for example, has nothing but bad things to say about them, and he's never even owned a guitar with one. How can you have an opinion about a trem you have never even owned? You can't. I have owned one and it worked fine for what it is and I never limited its abuse. That trem got yanked on quit a bit.

So I will always back it up when people come on here bashing it. I have yet to meet 1 person who has owned one, knew what they were doing wth it, and still had issues.

Whats geting old are all the threads one this subject and people who have never owned one bashing them. That's what is getting old.

My main point on the edge III is this: IF you want something that is above sub par, as you put it, then quit buying cheap guitars. Simple as that. No one said you had to buy the guitar with the Edge III, so you have no one to blame but yourself.

Was my punctuation a little better for you this time? I've been out of school for over a decade now, and it isn't a work letter so I could usually care less about my punctuation as long as I get my point across.
Gear
Ibanez Xiphos - stock
LTD Alexi 600 - stock
Blackstar HT-20H
Fulltone OCD
MXR 10 Band EQ
Fine and dandy this time, thank you. The thread was still about the JS-100 though.

Also, I never said it would be better than a Edge or Edge pro. I said if you want something of that quality then you will have to pay more to get something of that quality.

I never said you did, either. We agree on this point, trust me. We agree on most parts of the equation.

I just don't understand why you keep hammering on the fact that DaveMc 'has to own one'. He doesn't have to, and I don't have to either. I've seen enough of these up close to back up my statements. Even with hours of setup work (and yes, I for one do know how to set one up), they have lost their tune, and thus they are not usable for a person with my criteria.

My main point on the edge III is this: IF you want something that is above sub par, as you put it, then quit buying cheap guitars. Simple as that. No one said you had to buy the guitar with the Edge III, so you have no one to blame but yourself.

It's not really that simple. Some people don't have the money to 'stop buying cheap guitars'. If these people come on here asking if the EdgeIII will give them what they expect, then I try to answer to the best of my knowledge and experience.
Noone says anyone has to buy a guitar with an EdgeIII, but if some is looking for Steve Vai-ish tremolo wanking, I steer them off course of one, because they won't find that in an EdgeIII (not for a prolonged period of time at least). I steer them off course of one, so that they don't have themselves to blame for a trem that's falling tits up after a few months of use.
I've been playing an Ibanez JS100 for seven years, and although it's thoroughly beaten and worn down, it's not going anywhere. I have replaced the stock pickups, but they're not bad by any means. The neck is thin and comfortable, but I've never owned an RG so I can't compare them. The trem can be a hassle to keep in tune if you are a heavy whammy person, like myself, but if you're easy on it and don't divebomb it to hell and back, it's fine.
Quote by srob7001

Their is a reason they have those and their is a reason the Edge III doesn't....COST...that is it.

Edge Pro...for example...Great trem, but it'll cost you

Edge III....decent, low cost trem....low cost = not the greatest quality

If you guys want a good trem then buy a guitar with a good one or replace the "bad" one IF it does fail.

that's my point, though. it's not just cost. Ibanez (assuming there's not some mismatch with their CNC equipment or whatever) could easily put original edges or edge pros on their non-MIJ made stuff. It wouldn't be as cheap as the current non-MIJ Ibanezes, but it'd be a lot cheaper than the prestige line. The reason they don't do this is not because it'd cost too much to put it on the non-MIJ stuff, it's because if they did that an awful lot of people wouldn't bother buying the prestige stuff any more. Which, as i said, is marketing or perhaps, more accurately, product differentiation.

Quote by ibanezgod1973
+1

i keep saying this everytime the edge3 haters come on, i`m now just sick of saying the same thing over and over so prefer to not say it.

"if you maintain it properly it will last longer than your need for the guitar"

how long? 20 years?

Quote by srob7001

And people who talk them down are haters. Dave Mc for example, has nothing but bad things to say about them, and he's never even owned a guitar with one. How can you have an opinion about a trem you have never even owned? You can't. I have owned one and it worked fine for what it is and I never limited its abuse. That trem got yanked on quit a bit.

So I will always back it up when people come on here bashing it. I have yet to meet 1 person who has owned one, knew what they were doing wth it, and still had issues.

I don't appreciate being called a hater. To me, you're a fanboy. I see little difference, and considering how biased you are, you certainly aren't qualified to go round accusing others of bias.

I own the edge III's predecessor. Considering how bad it is, of course I'm going to be wary of the newest ibanez cheap trem. I have also seen plenty of threads on here where people's edge III's have just suddenly gone to hell. People who, like you, were adamant that they were "just fine if you know how to set them up". Until it became apparent that that actually wasn't the case.

"worked fine for what it is?"- to me that's a cop-out. If you're buying a locking trem, you want to be able to abuse it. You don't want to have to wrap it in cotton wool and not actually use it for the types of tricks for which it's designed (or at least, should be designed).

And you didn't answer my questions about whether it's made of hardened steel or whether it has a steel/brass sustain block.

"Has to own one" is also a complete cop-out. The reason I don't own one is that I got burned by the lo-trs and as such don't trust ibanez's cheap trems. Or any cheap locking trems, for that matter (I have a kramer too with a cheap locking trem, and have tried enough guitars with them to know to avoid them).
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Last edited by Dave_Mc at Jul 13, 2010,
I owned a RG350 a couple years back with an edge III. While not the antichrist itself in trem form, its a bad trem by other trem standards. Ibanez will always always shit you with a shit trem on their lower guitars. hell for 225 dollars i've seen on various c list, Ibanez RG 570's,which dont rock the shit trem. Sorry Edge III apologist, its not a good trem. In all honesty i prefer a strat trem on the MIM strats to the edge III's, II's and LO TRS.

as pifty says here

http://www.lawl.net/gtr/trems

"dont buy an ibanez with a bad trem"
I traded in my Real Books for Robbins and Cotran Pathology Textbooks
thanks
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
I'm not going to type much...because there are a ton of threads about the Edge III already. I've owned 3 RGs with them...all have went from brand new, to knife edges failing, to being replaced with OFR's in about a year. I will never buy another Edge III. Out of all the LFR systems out there...it's definitely the worse IMO and experience. My Douglas V that I bought as a project is 2 years old and the knife edges are great...as are were the ones on my LTD before I sold it. It was 5 years old. I don't use the trem a ton either...but if you touch it at all...the Edge III is definitely worth avoiding.
Quote by Dave_Mc
redheadedrabblerabble

The has to own one argument is the worst ever. Why would I willing choose to own something that was bad unless I had no other choice. Boggled.
Prs se Holcomb is the answer
Arent Floyd Rose Specials good though? You can pick them up for 70ish bucks and put them in, thats what most LTDs have and Ive read theyre the best lisenced ones once you go down from Schaller
Quote by reeses

Aww shucks...

Quote by Tom 1.0
Fan boy? How so? I don't even own an Ibanez. That's just silly.

I'm done with the Edge III stuff.

I think its a decent trem for its cost. I will leave it at that.

No hate toward anyone invloved in this discussion.

Till next time......peace, love, and good happiness stuff.
Gear
Ibanez Xiphos - stock
LTD Alexi 600 - stock
Blackstar HT-20H
Fulltone OCD
MXR 10 Band EQ
^ i own an ibanez and you called me a hater. That makes no more sense. you don't have to own something to be a fanboy.

Quote by AcousticMirror
The has to own one argument is the worst ever. Why would I willing choose to own something that was bad unless I had no other choice. Boggled.

Quote by Metalfan41
Arent Floyd Rose Specials good though? You can pick them up for 70ish bucks and put them in, thats what most LTDs have and Ive read theyre the best lisenced ones once you go down from Schaller

not sure. supposedly the frt-x000 is a korean (i think)- made version of the schaller floyd rose, though I found a link detailling the differences ( http://dellus.net/?tag=floyd-rose-tremolo ). Whether it's accurate, I don't know. The special supposedly loses the steel sustain block (from what I've heard, again I don't know how accurate it is).

It's certainly not the best licensed one when you go down from schaller, there's gotoh, original ibanez edge, lo-pro edge and edge pro etc. plus all the rebranded gotohs and schallers on various higher-end guitars (musicman, vigier, schecter japan etc.). unless you meant once you go down from schaller quality, including gotoh and the good ibanez trems in that group, lol.
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?