Hey my friend is really, really new to guitar, but knows the very basics. I said I would find him some pretty simple songs to start off with, but I'm having a total brainfart. He likes stuff like Avenged Sevenfold, Bullet for my Valentine, and The Used. What are some really simple songs that he could learn? Preferably stuff in standard tuning, as he doesn't really know how to drop D or anything.
-LTD Alexi 600
-LTD MH-100 QM
-Schecter Omen 6
-B-52 AT-112
Quote by My Father
So is this guitar Mexican made or human made? Wait, shit, that was really racist wasn't it?

My shitty covers: http://www.youtube.com/simpleben09
Quote by SlackusMaximus
Are you your friend? Learn the intro to Nothing Else Matters

No, I'm not my friend. Haha. And I'd rather give him whole songs that are easy, as opposed to just parts
-LTD Alexi 600
-LTD MH-100 QM
-Schecter Omen 6
-B-52 AT-112
Quote by My Father
So is this guitar Mexican made or human made? Wait, shit, that was really racist wasn't it?

My shitty covers: http://www.youtube.com/simpleben09
Stay Together for the Kids by blinki-182

First song I learned all the way through
songs by tenacious d fun to play, easy to learn
Quote by DeadSoloist
lol i have all the practice standing up when I used to play guitar hero 24/7 :P

Quote by Zaphod_Beeblebr
I don't care if you're joking or not.

Just no.

Strumming/Picking:

10 Years After - I'd Love To Change The World
Pink Floyd - Wish You Were Here
Oasis - Wonderwall
Neil Young - Old Man
Smashing Pumpkins - Disarm
Lynyrd Skynyrd - Simple Man

These will all open you up to basic chords and downpicking. Hope this helps.
Quote by Dunning~Kruger
Yes I was rude, and I was aggressive and I was offending a large group of people. But I was civlized about it.

Taylor 414CE
+1 on Wish you were here. Also the rhythm to Comfortably Numb is ridiculously simple. The solo i think he'd struggle with
I say the old classic riffs like:
Smoke on the water-deep purple
Smells like teen spirit-Nirvana
Actually I don't know if this is a beginners song but it was the first i could play throughout:
You give love a bad name - Bon Jovi
My Gear:

Stagg l320cs
Laney Prism P35 (35watt)
Custom Strat
Aria Steel String acoustic
iron man, very easy apart from solos.

NIB aswell, and same for solos

im a n00b and can play these songs
Quote by buckerf
iron man, very easy apart from solos.

NIB aswell, and same for solos

im a n00b and can play these songs

also paranoid, black sabbath, and sabbath bloody sabbath are easy riffs. highway to hell is the first song i teach my friends to get them to grips with chord changes and CAGED.
Tokai SG in Ebony

Epiphone Les Paul Plus Top with Honeyburst Finish

Vox ValveTronix 15

Dunlop Crybaby Wah

Quote by 3volved
I'm a 'single-cut slut'...gotta go with the EC-1000.
Joan Jett - I love rock n' roll
Blur - Song 2
AC/DC - Highway To Hell (but pay attention to the timing! otherwise its useless. main riff starts on the "3 and")
Everyone I know started off with the main riff off of Guns N' Roses "Sweet Child of Mine"

My brother doesn't even play guitar but he can play that riff! lol
Quote by iamflipbaby
also paranoid, black sabbath, and sabbath bloody sabbath are easy riffs. highway to hell is the first song i teach my friends to get them to grips with chord changes and CAGED.

black sabbath is quite hard because of the bridge part (is this the end my friend)
Am I the only one that found Smells Like Teen Spirit really hard?

Anyway, try some Green Day stuff like American I diot and Wake Me Up When September ends.
It will teach him basic powerchords which will be pretty important if he likes stuff like avenged sevenfold.
Also, try teach him Barre Chords once he's comfotable with normal chords. This will help when he trys to do powerchords in drop D tuning.