Hey UG!

I'm sorry if this is the wrong place to post this (I'm new to posting ) and I'll gladly move it if so.

OKAY! So basically, I started a punk band and therefore have taken up palm muting as the standard technique. Since doing so, I've broken 3 low E strings...

So, basically I want to know if I'm possibly doing it wrong? Or if I need to buy higher gauged strings? So far I've been playing with whatever strings are the original on both my Takamine G Series acoustic electric and my Gibson Les Paul Studio (9G?). I have one guitar with 11 gauge strings but when its in standard its twangy. Is there a way to make that stop on a Gibson?

I feel like a noob asking these questions even though I've been playing guitar forever but I've never snapped two strings in less than a week. Also, the snaps were on the bridge, and the strings metal inside snapped but the outside just unraveled which I've never seen before.

Thanks for your help!
I've used 9-46s and 10-52s for ageeeeeeees and i have never ever ever broken a low e string :\

If the strings are snapping on the bridge there might be a rough or sharp edge that needs a light filing down
Sounds like the saddle on the bridge is a little too sharp and may be cutting the string. When you palm mute, you're placing pressure on the string and the saddle, and that may be breaking it. You could either get thicker strings, or file down the saddle a little so it's not so sharp.

Unless it happens on both guitars?
Warmoth Strat w/ Lace Holy Grails
'07 Roadhouse Strat
Washburn WD-21 all Koa Acoustic
Marshall JCM-2000 TSL-122
Bugera V-5
Ya it happens on both. The Gibson I can see cause the bridge is Metal but tak is plastic.
My Usual Rig:
Gibson Les Paul
Orange Rocker 30 Head and 1X12 Cab
EHX Russian Big Muff Pi
EHX Holy Grail Plus

Lead Singer/Rhythm Guitarist of The Johnny Red Eyes
If it's both guitars, it could maybe be your muting technique? Maybe you're muting too close to the bridge and are creating too much pressure? It's a stretch, but it's possible.

Not sure what else it would be though.
Warmoth Strat w/ Lace Holy Grails
'07 Roadhouse Strat
Washburn WD-21 all Koa Acoustic
Marshall JCM-2000 TSL-122
Bugera V-5
Quite possibly the technique because it didn't start until my band began practicing more.

Also, on the Gibson, I replaced the strings about 2 months ago, other then a snapped D due to an accident, the other strings seem to be fine. Its weird. :S
My Usual Rig:
Gibson Les Paul
Orange Rocker 30 Head and 1X12 Cab
EHX Russian Big Muff Pi
EHX Holy Grail Plus

Lead Singer/Rhythm Guitarist of The Johnny Red Eyes
are you in standard tuning? I personally run 10-48 or so for all my e standard guitars, i also use d standard a lot which i run 10-52 in, elixer strings. I play a lot of thrash metal, havent broken but one string in the last year. damn things last for their 11$ price tag.