How exacty is the best way to do this? Like settings on amp and pedal.
What are your set ups
I have a high gain channel and a clean one(set how I want it) but I have another gain channel and I'm thinking I could get another sous out if it

I have a peavey xxl head
And a digitech death metal, mxr Fullbore metal
Quote by Katsock
How exacty is the best way to do this? Like settings on amp and pedal.
What are your set ups
I have a high gain channel and a clean one(set how I want it) but I have another gain channel and I'm thinking I could get another sous out if it

I have a peavey xxl head
And a digitech death metal, mxr Fullbore metal

I had this same question a while ago on this forum. The answer i got was to flatline all the amp's settings to 12 o'clock and to set the pedal to the desired settings.
Including the gain? Also I don't always notice a difference when gain is from like,3oclock-max, on amp I mean, is that weird,
You don't really want to boost that amp, and especially with those kinds of pedals.
It won't work with those types of pedals, alls you will get is much more noise.

The types of pedals you want to use are things like the Ibanez Tube screamer or the MXR Zakk Wylde overdrive.

The Digi tech death metal and the MXR fullbore are complete distortion pedals. They essentially give your amp a whole nother distortion channel on their own.

The Ibanez tubes screamer and the Zakk MXR OD dont produce much of an overdrive on their own (go to a store and see for your self). But when placing them on an amp that is already using an OD/Distorted channel. They produce a great sound. They some how help balance things out.
If you have a Peavey Head, you really shouldn't need to boost it, that's one reason why. Although, you could try boosting your clean channel. That usually works without blowing shit out. Just keep your volume knobs down.
Last edited by crazysam23_Atax at Jul 13, 2010,
Yeai use my pedals on the clean channel
I don't know how to boost it, that's why I'm here(I just posted all my gear)
Would it be worth experimenting and trying to boost my unused distortion channel?

I'm just not a huge fan of the sound it makes, just isn't for me
Quote by Axim Bassist

The types of pedals you want to use are things like the Ibanez Tube screamer or the MXR Zakk Wylde overdrive.

The Digi tech death metal and the MXR fullbore are complete distortion pedals. They essentially give your amp a whole nother distortion channel on their own.

The Ibanez tubes screamer and the Zakk MXR OD dont produce much of an overdrive on their own (go to a store and see for your self). But when placing them on an amp that is already using an OD/Distorted channel. They produce a great sound. They some how help balance things out.

Don't think you're limited to the tube-screamer. There are lots of tube screamer type pedals out there. I'm partial to the VS Route 808.

I know a guy that uses a Fulltone OCD with the drive all the way back, but the volume up. Sounds pretty good.

EDIT: Andy Timmons boosts his Mesa Lonestar with a BB Preamp
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SiW22O914Cg
Last edited by ghiyath at Jul 13, 2010,
A distortion pedal as powerful as those two is generally not a good idea to use. You're also running a solid state amp, most people boost tube amps because youre not going to experience the hard clipping that would happen when you do it with a SS, and because they want a tighter and more in your face sound. Solid State amps, like yours, generally already have these characteristics. That being said, it can still sound good with the right amp (Randall RGs come to mind).

The correct method of boosting is to use an overdrive pedal, with the gain set low (usually at 0) and the volume set high (usually at max). For a solid state amp, you'd have to expiriment, because running it this way probably won't do much, or sound good
Quote by Dave_Mc
I've had tube amps for a while now, but never actually had any go down on me
Quote by jj1565
maybe you're not saying the right things? an amp likes to know you care.

www.SanctityStudios.com
I don't need to boost anything, I just want to get the most out of everything at my disposal, you know? I like all my sounds

Whatdo you mean by the pedals are not good to use? Use in general? Or boosting a channel
Boosting a SS amp is not advised. We all boost valve amps - that's what people are talking about when they are talking about using tubescreamers and such to drive the preamp harder. Driving the input of a SS amp harder just sounds nasty.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Yes, pedals to use in your case would be more like different distortion pedals to add a different colour themselves, not a boost pedal as such. A small boost for lead breaks is ok to get the volume up a bit but not to achieve what boosts do in front of a valve amp.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
if you don't like the gain of your solid state amp, you need to get a different amp. Unless you just like using a dirt box through the clean channel, that kinda works too.

I personally love the XXL, almost bought one when I realised that a 4x12 would make me feel pretentious in every way possible, and that my current ampeg combo is cooler anyways.
"If you're looking for me,
you better check under the sea,
because that's where you'll find me..."
Quote by Katsock
Ah I see, so it's essentially a waste, and won't improve anything.

You could try an EQ pedal to give you more control over the voicing, that might do the trick for you.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
Quote by Axim Bassist

Have you ever actually done that yourself? The tubescreamers sound very nice into a clean amp, and definitely have enough gain for classic rock leads on their own.

Also distortion pedals aren't really any different from overdrives - if you turn the volume up to get a boost they work just the same so long as you turn the gain down a little, as the harsher clipping within a distortion pedal can sort of mud up the sound easily if you've got too much gain. It does sound different though. And of course hi-gain pedals probably don't allow you to reduce the gain enough for it to work (I know the digitech death metal wouldn't because it doesn't have a gain control )
I like analogue Solid State amps that make no effort to be "tube-like", and I'm proud of it...

...A little too proud, to be honest.
i compeltely disagree. i use a boss os2 and it works PERFECT on solid state amps. better than my tube amp. now it doesnt not react like a tube, it is solid state.

my solid states in question are a crate mx-10 and a spider 3. in fact, the spider sounds like a 100% different amp with the pedal instead of its garbage stock sound.

but when i crank distortion, on the solid state it sounds heavy. it takes the sound better. on my bugera tube, it does not like my pedal. i get a great OD sound, but any form of distortion from that pedal sounds like crap. im thinking of replacing it.

note: tried using it with other tubes. worked with one well, the other one not so much. not blaming my pedal or the amp. im blaming the combo of the two.

fortunately, i like th amps drive channel, so im using my os2 on the OD side, gain low and volume up for a solo boost. that sounds great.

but 50% why i bought teh pedal (to get metal and clasic rock sounds for a cheaper price), has been negated by me buying a new amp. kinda mad. whatever. every peice of gear is different.

im actually thinking of getting another distortion pedal and a EQ pedal with the volume to use as my lead boost and dial in my own sound with the frequency sliders.
Last edited by ikey_ at Jul 13, 2010,
I use an eq pedal also. And what I'm talking about is I just don't like the gainon one of thechannels. The restilove =]
I'm running a 'gray spec' DOD 250 Overdrive clone that I built from scratch on my solid state practice amp's clean channel with the gain no higher than 9:00 and it sounds great giving it a more tube-like sound I don't know why. The only thing I don't like is 2-note inverted chords sound raspy. But regular power chord stuff and single note lead lines sound great.

That being said I'm temped to get a Marshall Class5 or Blackstar HT5 low wattage tube amp or build the Firefly 1.5 watt tube amp kit. LOL, here's my wannabe pedal chain:

Fender Malmsteen Strat > Boss NS2 Noise Suppressor > NS2 Send > NeoClassic 3080 Compressor > NeoClassic 741 Overdrive > NS2 Return > NS2 Output > VHT Special 6 Ultra Amp > Amp Send > MXR Carbon Copy Analog Delay > Boss RC3 Loop Station > Amp Return
Last edited by Yngwie#1 at Jul 13, 2010,