Which one is a better amp stock for my needs? I play pretty straightforward stuff, heavy rock and metal only about as heavy as Nevermore-style distortion, I also use a clean channel pretty often, basically I want the amp that sounds the best stock because I won't be able to modify either of them for a while after I get em, which one's better?
Quote by Ikey
im no fred flintstone but i can sure make the bed rock

MY GEAR!

Epiphone Futura Custom EX
Randall RG75DG3 Combo Amp
MXR 10-Band EQ
Oscar Schmidt OG10CEN

howya doin
Vypyr 60. VK is boring and mediocre sounding.
Current Gear:
LTD MH-400 with Gotoh GE1996T (EMG 85/60)
PRS SE Custom 24 (Suhr SSH+/SSV)
Ibanez RG3120 Prestige (Dimarzio Titans)
Squier Vintage Modified 70s Jazz V
Audient iD22 interface
Peavey Revalver 4, UAD Friedman BE100/DS40
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
You CAN play anything with anything....but some guitars sound right for some things, and not for others. Single coils sound retarded for metal, though those who are apeshit about harpsichord probably beg to differ.
I would say ValveKing, but that's just because I don't like modelers. Also, out of the two, it's the only legitimate tube amp.

But the Vypyr can be seen as the better value if you want all the effects and stuff.

EDIT: Also, I see no reason why it has to be modded to "pull off" metal. I get nasty distortion on my 212, more than the TS wants probably.

I have the lead boost on all the time though, so... yeah.
Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

My band:
Fractured Instinct
(For fans of Death/Groove/Prog Metal)

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
Last edited by Offworld92 at Jul 13, 2010,
Quote by Offworld92
I would say ValveKing, but that's just because I don't like modelers. Also, out of the two, it's the only legitimate tube amp.

But the Vypyr can be seen as the better value if you want all the effects and stuff.

EDIT: Also, I see no reason why it has to be modded to "pull off" metal. I get nasty distortion on my 212, more than the TS wants probably.

I have the lead boost on all the time though, so... yeah.

Don't listen to that this guy says about it being a legitimate tube amp, The vypyr has a tube power section with an analog preamp aka transtube. Anyway the amp models are digitally controlled as are the effects but the signal is analog. All of the old Lynyrd Skynyrd stuff was recorded with the peavey mace series and it was the same deal in a way, anolog preamp and tube power amp. So no it won't sound exactly like an all tube signal path but it does sound unique in it's own way.

I have the 60 watt version and am very pleased with it I can get really good overdriven plexi tones out of this thing as well as screaming metal tones and pretty damn good clean tones. But occasionally you can hear the SS preamp or the diode clipping, ya know you've heard it before but it's not even noticeable unless you have been playing as long as I have and owned as many amps.

By the way get the Sanpera II with it, that 's where this thing really shines I mean WOW it's the perfect cover tune gigging amp. Anyway I am not really biased toward Peavey actually prefer Marhalls as I have a Dsl 100 sitting covered in my closet. I bought the vypyr to gig with and it's held up pretty damn good, but did lock smooth ass up on me at a show 5 months ago had to shut it off and turn it back on. But no problems since then.
^ dude... what? I said out of the two, the Valveking was the only legit tube amp...

My band:
Fractured Instinct

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
Quote by Offworld92
^ dude... what? I said out of the two, the Valveking was the only legit tube amp...

I think what he was getting at was that you don't NEED all tube power to sound, BETTER.

Sometimes modeling amps sound better, depends though.

Personally I would take a heavily modded VK over a Vypyr.

But that's if it is modded.
Squier Strat
Behringer Fuzz
GFT-90
Eh. I've read that all a power tube section is is a selling point. It doesn't really mean anything if your preamp is solid state.

Granted though, solid state does sound damn good these days. The VK is just my personal preference, because I enjoy the simplicity in it. And it makes me feel better knowing that I'm playing a ValveKing, and that is what a ValveKing sounds like, rather than I'm using a Vypyr to play some other amp. If that makes any sense?

My band:
Fractured Instinct

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
Quote by Offworld92
Eh. I've read that all a power tube section is is a selling point. It doesn't really mean anything if your preamp is solid state.

Granted though, solid state does sound damn good these days. The VK is just my personal preference, because I enjoy the simplicity in it. And it makes me feel better knowing that I'm playing a ValveKing, and that is what a ValveKing sounds like, rather than I'm using a Vypyr to play some other amp. If that makes any sense?

I know what you mean.

It's like playing playing a 6505+ or playing a model of a 6505+ through a cheap amp, which one would you choose?
Squier Strat
Behringer Fuzz
GFT-90
As a Valveking owner, the Vypyr will do what you want and do it well right out of the box. To me, the great metal tones don't come out of the VK without alot of work. Keep in mind you'll need the Vypyr's Sanpera footswitch to get the most out of it.

Also, the Vypyr's modeling is alot better than its pricing would let on.
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
What the hell is a G&L.

Quote by Flux'D
Gay & Lesbian I think, the box smelled funny
Greg what did you send me??
Last edited by Raijouta at Jul 13, 2010,
Quote by Raijouta
As a Valveking owner, the Vypyr will do what you want and do it well right out of the box. To me, the great metal tones don't come out of the VK without alot of work.

I knew you would have something to say sooner or later
Squier Strat
Behringer Fuzz
GFT-90
I have a VK 212. ( not modded ) and I absolutely love the distortion.
I really hate the cleans tough.
Gear:

-Gibson Les Paul 2008 standard
-MIA Fender sunburst
-Orange Rockerverb C
-Peavey Valveking 212
-Roland 30x
-Line 6 pod x3
I used.to have a 112 vk and I had to get rid of it because I just couldn't put up with the loose and undefined distortion. If your going to be playing heavy rock and metal just save up like a hundred more dollars and get the 6505 112
what kind of palm muting is best for metal?
cut off some guys hand and place it under the strings. brutal low end bro.
Last edited by TheBrownPenguin at Jul 13, 2010,