Hi guys,
sorry to make such a cliche thread with my first post.
but basically, i'm after a nice semi hollow, as my sound/what i'm aiming to play are bands like queens of the stone age, kyuss, also some other rhythm based blues/jam stuff.
i'm guessing humbuckers are in order, i've already got p-90's in my lp, and i'm not keen to battle feedback.
my amp is a bogner alchemist 1x12", and my budget is anything up to $800 US. but it can also be alot cheaper.
also, suggestions for a decent fuzz pedal?
take note: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0wTxqHbJOzg

thanks in advance, EG.
I <3 P-90's
Quote by stutter
Hi guys,
sorry to make such a cliche thread with my first post.
but basically, i'm after a nice semi hollow, as my sound/what i'm aiming to play are bands like queens of the stone age, kyuss, also some other rhythm based blues/jam stuff.
i'm guessing humbuckers are in order, i've already got p-90's in my lp, and i'm not keen to battle feedback.
my amp is a bogner alchemist 1x12", and my budget is anything up to $800 US. but it can also be alot cheaper.
also, suggestions for a decent fuzz pedal?
take note: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0wTxqHbJOzg

thanks in advance, EG.

Big Muff. It sounds like trash but that is why I like it. To clarify Big Muff is a pedal.
Last edited by SmokeJs at Jul 13, 2010,
epiphone shariton. or however you spell it

and a russian big muff.

do it now
Quote by BobDetroit
It's all about the abalone. You can't play metal without it. Mother of pearl? MOTO? GTFO!
Finally, another stoner rocker!

The Big Muff Pi is the quintessential fuzz pedal for stoner rock. I got a russian one and adore it. Otherwise, the dunlop fuzzface isn't bad.

As for a semi, I use an Epiphone DOT. I'm sure there's a bunch of others in the lineup of Epiphone with better quality, but I just use my hollow as my 2nd backup guitar. It sounds great, though. I can put some samples together for you if you want.
OBEY THE MIGHTY SHITKICKER
Quote by rooster456
Finally, another stoner rocker!

The Big Muff Pi is the quintessential fuzz pedal for stoner rock. I got a russian one and adore it. Otherwise, the dunlop fuzzface isn't bad.

As for a semi, I use an Epiphone DOT. I'm sure there's a bunch of others in the lineup of Epiphone with better quality, but I just use my hollow as my 2nd backup guitar. It sounds great, though. I can put some samples together for you if you want.

I had a DOT for a while, and used it for the same purpose, works fine. It'll feedback at time, but I used to get a great warm fuzz out of it. They're cheap, and they work fine, so get that!

However, you might need to upgrade the tuners, as they were failing on mine (which wasn't new, mind you)
Consider the Lucille Epi if you don't want F holes. Actually Homme played one live at some point
Dude late QOTSA is hardly stoner rock (but I still LOVE what they do). Make it wit chu is a ****ing awesome song !

Just so you know: Josh Homme used a Ovation Ultra GP when he was young in Kyuss and early QOTSA. The guitar is a collectable know, the closest you can get (and I heard it's pretty damn close !) is the Eastwood GP, which is basically a copy of the Ultra GP. It sells for 700$ and I heard it's a grea guitar, I was considering getting one myself.

For the recent QOTSA, he allmost exclusively semi hollow guitars, such as his signature Maton and the Motorave which are both very expensive guitars.

BUT he also uses regularly an epiphone Dot, so if QOTSA is what you're looking for, a dot is a safe bet (and lucile too). Actually I would say allmost any semi-hollow guitar with humbucker and muff pi can do the trick.
That's what I have (SE semi-hollow) and I get a decent QOTSA tone.
Yamaha SG 800
Tokai USG 118s
Hughes&Kettner Tube Meister
Jet City JCA12XS
Laney Cub 10
Electro Harmonix Big Muff pi (tone/wicker)
Boss CH-1 Super Chorus
Guild D 125 CE <3
You can use any guitar you want for any style of music, it´s not what you play it´s how you play it that counts.